Ban cars and this is the result. Vredenburg, Utrecht, Netherlands ...

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I have a currently useless MAsters in Public Administration but the urban planning course was interesting and even considered switching careers to urban planning but we have a lot of people invested in our current mess.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I went to a big ass university that pretty much dominated the city/town it was in. The student parking lots were wayyyyyyyy out in the boonies, which made it really inconvenient to drive your car anywhere that wasn't worth it. This forced students to walk, take the bus, ride bikes, skateboard etc to class or anywhere within the town. The only time you'd go get your car is if you needed to drive home to another far away city or state or to a place where the bus couldn't get you.

We need more forms of micro public transportation (short haul self driving vehicles that are smaller than smart cars, free to use bikes, segways etc), more bike lanes, a dedicated self driving car lane in each direction where cars communicate with other cars with no human intervention, and less human driving automobile lanes in major cities. And we need big ass parking lots at the edges of these cities for people to long term park and change the way they think about cars all together.

I lived in a beach town in Cali where during COVID they shut down 4 blocks to all traffic and made the streets open to restaurant seating and vendors. It made life 1000000000000x better.

I love cars. I've driven some of the baddest/fastest sub $150k cars on the planet. I've had $1,200 leases. I like driving fast. And I'd still be able to do that on highways and rural roads. They need to dead/ban cars in the city.

EDIT:
Cities are already starting to think this way for certain sections.
Should cars be banned on Broadway in downtown L.A.?

Last edited:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
LIKE ROAD TRIPS. HOW WOULD YOU DO THAT?

ALSO, HOW DO THEY MANAGE GROCERY RUNS? ESPECIALLY FOR LARGE FAMILY.

See my post above. But essentially it's the cities, hubs, major metropolitan areas, and community places that are designed like this. You'd still use a car to get to faraway places if you wanted to.

In the US cars are used as a utility AND for convenience. People will use it to get a block down the road. I have a private road near me that the USPS doesn't travel down. So the mailboxes are clustered on the crossing street. The owner of the 2nd house in on that private street (about 75-100 yards away from the mailbox) drives to get his mail almost everyday.

In places like this (netherlands) cars aren't a convenience. They are a utility. And usually a last resort.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
LIKE ROAD TRIPS. HOW WOULD YOU DO THAT?

ALSO, HOW DO THEY MANAGE GROCERY RUNS? ESPECIALLY FOR LARGE FAMILY.

the video above your original comment mentions that the 54% of dutch people own cars, they just use bikes for short trips.

the video also says the cost of renting a bike for a day is just as much as a bus ride. they also have cargo bikes, bikes with baskets and panniers.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I went to a big ass university that pretty much dominated the city/town it was in. The student parking lots were wayyyyyyyy out in the boonies, which made it really inconvenient to drive your car anywhere that wasn't worth it. This forced students to walk, take the bus, ride bikes, skateboard etc to class or anywhere within the town. The only time you'd go get your car is if you needed to drive home to another far away city or state or to a place where the bus couldn't get you.

We need more forms of micro public transportation (short haul self driving vehicles that are smaller than smart cars, free to use bikes, segways etc), more bike lanes, a dedicated self driving car lane in each direction where cars communicate with other cars with no human intervention, and less human driving automobile lanes in major cities. And we need big ass parking lots at the edges of these cities for people to long term park and change the way they think about cars all together.

I lived in a beach town in Cali where during COVID they shut down 4 blocks to all traffic and made the streets open to restaurant seating and vendors. It made life 1000000000000x better.

I love cars. I've driven some of the baddest/fastest sub $150k cars on the planet. I've had $1,200 leases. I like driving fast. And I'd still be able to do that on highways and rural roads. They need to dead/ban cars in the city.

EDIT:
Cities are already starting to think this way for certain sections.
Should cars be banned on Broadway in downtown L.A.?

yeah a lot of college campuses are basically walkable communities, lots of speed bumps and traffic calming infrastructure which results in fewer accidents and more social interaction.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
the video above your original comment mentions that the 54% of dutch people own cars, they just use bikes for short trips.

the video also says the cost of renting a bike for a day is just as much as a bus ride. they also have cargo bikes, bikes with baskets and panniers.

I'M SORRY. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE CLEAR. THE VIDEOS DON'T REALLY SHOW ANY CARS. I WAS WONDERING WHERE DO THE CARS EVEN FIT ON THESE STREETS.

DO THE CARS SHARE THE ROAD IN ANY WAY?