Ban cars and this is the result. Vredenburg, Utrecht, Netherlands ...

concise

Veteran
Daps

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

So, yesterday I found out the Netherlands has a higher rate of car ownership than the State of NY. Now I find out they have a worse housing situation.

Why didn't @bnew and @Remote tell me about all these things about the Netherlands?
:dwillhuh:

Please make your post clear.
What are you suggesting about car ownership and housing?

bnew

Veteran
Daps

So, yesterday I found out the Netherlands has a higher rate of car ownership than the State of NY. Now I find out they have a worse housing situation.

Why didn't @bnew and @Remote tell me about all these things about the Netherlands?

how is cycling infrastructure and housing crisis related? :what:

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how is cycling infrastructure and housing crisis related? :what:

it's all URBAN centered, many people want to live some where they can plant a garden and an apple tree here or there without relying on a just in time grocery system or worst case depend on bodegas(NYC). Not everyone dreams of life in a high rise condo/apt(or even low rise)

more mixed living, more rural, even slightly suburban, less urbanization

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y’all wanna be European so bad :dahell:

My job is 15 miles from my house, and I have to leave at 5:30 every morning. The fukk I look like riding a bike :russ:

it's not so much European it's that urban lifestyle. PEople who live like that grate my nerves. Many of them talk of solutions they have no practical concept of because they think everybody lives like they do. Think they are smarter than they are. I'm NOT referring to anybody here, but some people I've seen talk on youtube or real life. Everybody can't live that uber urban life.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
@concise

The key features of the housing crisis – rising prices, increasing inequality, shortages of affordable homes and foreign investors infiltrating the market – are the result of decades of dubious housing policies,” said Gregory Fuller of Groningen University.

In the early 2010s, a pro-market Dutch government in effect abolished the housing and planning ministry and freed up sales of housing corporation stock. Partly as a result, about 25% of homes in the country’s four big cities are owned by investors.

Further driving up prices are measures such as mortgage tax relief for buyers, and others - meant to aid young buyers - that have instead ended up helping existing owners invest in more property. At the same time, subsidies for housebuilding all but dried up.

In the rental market, the crippling lack of homes and large numbers of tenants who – for want of an affordable alternative – remain in social housing despite earning more than the maximum allowed have contributed to sky-high private rents.

The European Commission’s independent social policy advisory group has said the Netherlands is in the grip of a “severe housing crisis”, with a “critical shortage of affordable housing resulting in social exclusion and increasing economic inequality”.

Politicians including Geert Wilders, whose far-right Freedom party (PVV) finished a shock first in November’s general election, have blamed asylum seekers, foreign students and environmental laws.

But in a damning report published in February, the UN special rapporteur on adequate housing said, after a two-week visit, that Dutch government policy choices were to blame for the country’s “acute housing crisis,” not asylum seekers or migrant workers.

“An alternative narrative has emerged in the Netherlands that an ‘influx of foreigners’ is responsible,” Balakrishnan Rajagopal said. The crisis – of both affordability and availability – had, he added, been “two or more decades” in the making.

Among multiple other factors, the rapporteur blamed a lack of regulation of social housing providers, an absence of rent caps in the private sector and “insufficient attention to the role of speculation and large investors in the real estate market”.

so now they know what they need to do to fix the problem. :ld:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
it's not so much European it's that urban lifestyle. PEople who live like that grate my nerves. Many of them talk of solutions they have no practical concept of because they think everybody lives like they do. Think they are smarter than they are. I'm NOT referring to anybody here, but some people I've seen talk on youtube or real life. Everybody can't live that uber urban life.

sort sort of solutions did you have in mind?

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
it's all URBAN centered, many people want to live some where they can plant a garden and an apple tree here or there without relying on a just in time grocery system or worst case depend on bodegas(NYC). Not everyone dreams of life in a high rise condo/apt(or even low rise)

more mixed living, more rural, even slightly suburban, less urbanization
those walkable urban environments are better than needing to hop into a car to drive everywhere for everything all the time

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y’all wanna be European so bad :dahell:

My job is 15 miles from my house, and I have to leave at 5:30 every morning. The fukk I look like riding a bike :russ:

Plus driving on country roads to clear your mind is :wow:

Just don’t get sick and make over 8 figures and you’ll have the peace of mind as Dutch person on less than 50k

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

Germany took all their land in the last World War..country is now about the size of Seattle and practically under water.
Serves those Boers right, fukk em :camby:

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cities laid out thousands of years ago and ones laid out in the last 100 aren't really a fair comparison.
They didn't have bikes thousands of years ago, but bikes existed in the last 100 years. What is your point?