At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well the way immigrants are starting to move back to their home countries and the way some AA's are looking beyond American borders may have a halting affect on that in some ways

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
That's not the point I was making though. Somewhere down the line Africans who have intermingled with AA's and have kids by them will have kids who are essentially AA whether that be their children directly or their grandchildren.

Oh then yeah by interbreeding, Africans can become AAs because their children will inherit the legacy of slavery.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
Those type of mingling are only a small portion of the African population.

depends on where you are in country. My Nigerian side of the family were known in the DMV for having AA and west indian wives since the 60's 70's when they came to America in droves.

K.Dot

African American
Daps
Reppin
Bro 'nem
West Indians came here and got houses and shyt while we couldn't because they weren't like us.

West Indians are the perfect example of how being non-AA is an advantage and how Black immigrants come over here where at back home they are majority and practice ethnic inclusivity while we try to be all open arms with them due our race based thinking.

Just read this paper...
http://scholarship.law.gwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2465&context=faculty_publications

Why are the black brownstone owners in Harlem and Brooklyn disproportionately West Indian? The landlords, West Indian-American? The tenants African-American? These are tough questions. For students of housing discrimination, West Indian Americans have long presented a quandary. If it is reasonable to assume that racial exclusions are being consistently applied to persons who are dark-skinned, one would expect to find that housing discrimination has had similar effects on West Indian Americans and African-Americans. Yet this is not the case: West Indian Americans generally own and rent higher quality housing than African Americans.

Eschewing more traditional explanations in the civil rights literature, I apply the literature in which racial segregation in real property ownership is conceived as a racial monopoly in which racial cartels appropriate anticompetitive techniques to monopolize access to real property. Maintaining a racial cartel is dependent on white owners maintaining a united front, that is, they must uniformly refuse to sell. Importantly, realtors play a gatekeeping role in real estate and West Indians dominated the realtor sector. As realtors, they were expert at finding defectors, namely, whites willing to break norms of racial exclusivity, in exchange for their ability to extract a premium for selling to blacks early. Brokers then proceeded to buy significant numbers of titles, which were then off-loaded to fellow West Indians. West Indian brokers could act in confidence because they had cashrich clients and were often buying in trust (de-facto if not de-jure) for fellow West Indians. In so doing, West Indian brokers in New York were simply replicating techniques that had been utilized by their land-brokering ancestors. I discuss the history that “previews” this period in New York, albeit in a different context: in the British West Indian islands from the migrants originated. There are repeated instances of blacks "busting" white monopolies in landownership, throughout the West Indian colonies in contravention of racial norms in the British colonies of who was allowed to own land where. Upon arrival in New York, West Indians encountered another racial monopoly in real property ownership, namely Northern racial segregation. They essentially appropriated the same techniques that they had utilized in the West Indies to break into white neighbourhoods in New York.
This shyt has me re-evaluating life rn, :wow:

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This was a question I was pondering the other day.

In all likelihood if I get married or have children it'll be with an AA woman. I already don't speak my people's language and have pretty much fully assimilated into western society. Sure, my kids will be able to point out somewhere on a map and say this is specifically where my ancestors came from...but they'll largely identify with America.

It's something I noticed with my nephews.

Sure there are African communities within the USA but it's a small drop of water in comparison. So at some point won't both communities eventually overlap? :jbhmm:

seeing that thare have been Caribbean communities in Brooklyn for decades now and African communties on Staten Island and these communties are in other cites, they could maintain themslves like Italians and Jews. You probably will assimilate because you seem to want to do that.

Last edited:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Being AA is more than a "sound." The fact yall deduce it to how someone talks and hip hop is evidence enough why Black immigrants dont become AA by assimilation.

South Florida is not an AA stomping ground in the least bit.
It's not just hip-hop. It's how many will view themselves and how others will view them if they choose not to preserve the culture that their parents grew up with. It's how they'll self-identify. Generation to Generation it COULD very well happen, especially if these groups keep marrying out.

South Florida has always had a large historic AA population that folks seem to be in denial about for some reason. I've always found that weird. Overtown, Liberty City, Lemon City, Miami Gardens, Opa-Locka, Sistrunk, Riviera Beach, etc, are just figments of my imagination. So all those areas since their inception have just been Jamaicans and Haitians and no AA's?

:patrice:

Black folks from GA, Alabama, SC, and NC didn't migrate to South Florida En Masse in the 40's, 50's, and 60's?

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
You mad nikka?
Nikka I dont know nothing about no damn somali bantu I dont care either. I'm not somali and I'm not Bantu.
Nobodies and the Somali Bantu was just an example which you clearly missed.

All I know is AA's have different definitions of what African Americans are, y'all don't even know frfr. :yeshrug:

There is no "AA version" because the AA version is the only definition.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
seeing that thare have been Caribbean communities in Brooklyn for decades now and African communties on staten island and these communties are in other cites, they could maintain themslves like Italians and Jews. You probably will assimilate because you seem to want to do that.

Exactly, it's all about keeping the community strengthed.

Even the Africans up in Harlem and Bronx are not very concentrated as a population, but they have a strong network that doesn't really overlap heavy with AA's and I have yet to see outside of a couple families of such intermingling throughout my lifetime.

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not just hip-hop. It's how many will view themselves and how others will view them if they choose not to preserve the culture that their parents grew up with. It's how they'll self-identify. Generation to Generation it COULD very well happen, especially if these groups keep marrying out.

South Florida has always had a large historic AA population that folks seem to be in denial about for some reason. I've always found that weird. Overtown, Liberty City, Lemon City, Miami Gardens, Opa-Locka, Sistrunk, Riviera Beach, etc, are just figments of my imagination. So all those areas since their inception have just been Jamaicans and Haitians and no AA's?

Black folks from GA, Alabama, SC, and NC didn't migrate to South Florida En Masse in the 40's, 50's, and 60's?

More went to Brooklyn