At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
Not always the case. My best friend growing up is half Nigerian half AA and speaks better Igbo than many full blooded Nigerians I know raised in Lagos, though of course he is still more Americanized since being raised here of course. And he regularly visits his African side every year.

You'll find both in certain scenarios also depends on the social class of the African and AA parent

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
This was a question I was pondering the other day.

In all likelihood if I get married or have children it'll be with an AA woman. I already don't speak my people's language and have pretty much fully assimilated into western society. Sure, my kids will be able to point out somewhere on a map and say this is specifically where my ancestors came from...but they'll largely identify with America.

It's something I noticed with my nephews.

Sure there are African communities within the USA but it's a small drop of water in comparison. So at some point won't both communities eventually overlap? :jbhmm:

No...

Being AA means you inherit the legacy of American slavery...

Africans and AAs will never ever assimilate...just like Caribbeans and AA have not assimilated...

Africans that are in the USA are in a whole different class. Same as the West Indians that came here.

I mean basically you are just an African that lost their identity....

Last edited:

K.Dot

African American
Daps
Reppin
Bro 'nem
This was a question I was pondering the other day.

In all likelihood if I get married or have children it'll be with an AA woman. I already don't speak my people's language and have pretty much fully assimilated into western society. Sure, my kids will be able to point out somewhere on a map and say this is specifically where my ancestors came from...but they'll largely identify with America.

It's something I noticed with my nephews.

Sure there are African communities within the USA but it's a small drop of water in comparison. So at some point won't both communities eventually overlap? :jbhmm:
They already do overlap, they don't have much of a choice in the matter. Even Caribbeans follow AA's. It's worth mentioning that AA's aren't conditioned to see ethnicity, only race.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
You'll find both in certain scenarios also depends on the social class of the African and AA parent

Maybe. I mean his mom is a pretty serious fan of African culture and keeps up with Nigerian culture and entertainment better than his dad does. Lol.

But then again I've seen the other way around at times.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Lol nikka for you but not for others around the country. Being black in america automatically puts you in that category even if you don't want to be.

AA'S don't have the scoop on who's what and can lay claim to what. White people and the government do.

Will you clowns stop trying to tell AAs what and how to identify themselves? At this point its getting annoying and this thread has been made MANY times.

And fukk what white people or the government think...

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
Will you clowns stop trying to tell AAs what and how to identify themselves? At this point its getting annoying and this thread has been made MANY times.

And fukk what white people or the government think...
:mjlol:You a Bozo
Nikka I dont care if AA or African or West indians Identify as albanians or pakistanaian I dont give shyt.

All I know is on the Census, I only have one choice AA, On the street Im just a regular black nikka

edit- one day yall mad Black immigrants dont identify as AA, next day yall want them to identify as AA

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
And it's also depended on how many more waves of Black immigrants we get in those cities. If more Africans come in, than you'll still have a large wave of new African immigrants keeping the culture alive. But if immigration stops, than you'll have a whole generation of 1st gen African migrants who are Americanized, and their children and grandchildren will be Americanized. And that's when the TRUE large scale assimilation will happen. And that's when they'll officially be AA. It might pit African Migrants vs Americanized Africans.

Or another scenario is, Americanized Africans going back home, and bringing AA culture, memes, hip-hop, internet culture etc to their countries of origin. So when African kids migrate to the US, they've already been somewhat US influenced and ahead of the curve.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If that's the case, why are Asians still seen as immigrants despite having a high intermarriage rate.
breh, that is a totally different dynamic

there is no Asian American culture that has been organically cultivated independently on American shores and is part of the fabric of America

And No, panda express doesn't count :russ:

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
New Afrikans (so-called "African-Americans") are the descendants of Africans brought to these shores and enslaved here. The vast majority of us are of mixed national and tribal origins, and many of us haven't been able to uncover the direct roots due to slavery. We have a unique historical experience and that's the reason we don't (and can't) call ourselves Nigerian-American, Ghanaian-American, etc. as African immigrants can.

Not every person of African descent who is born in the U.S. is an "African-American."