At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
New Afrikans (so-called "African-Americans") are the descendants of Africans brought to these shores and enslaved here. The vast majority of us are of mixed national and tribal origins, and many of us haven't been able to uncover the direct roots due to slavery. We have a unique historical experience and that's the reason we don't (and can't) call ourselves Nigerian-American, Ghanaian-American, etc. as African immigrants can.

Not every person of African descent who is born in the U.S. is an "African-American."

So please tell @KidStranglehold because yall have to different ass definition of what AA is.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This was a question I was pondering the other day.

In all likelihood if I get married or have children it'll be with an AA woman. I already don't speak my people's language and have pretty much fully assimilated into western society. Sure, my kids will be able to point out somewhere on a map and say this is specifically where my ancestors came from...but they'll largely identify with America.

It's something I noticed with my nephews.

Sure there are African communities within the USA but it's a small drop of water in comparison. So at some point won't both communities eventually overlap? :jbhmm:

No. African Americans are descendants of slaves.

If black Americans and Africans cliqued up:wow:

:rudy:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
They already do overlap, they don't have much of a choice in the matter. Even Caribbeans follow AA's. It's worth mentioning that AA's aren't conditioned to see ethnicity, only race.

We need to start seeing class and ethnicity...

African Americans need to stop seeing everyone as the same if they African descent because a lot of people of African descent that aren't a USA citizen come here and give the :sas2:

And White people do differientiate...

This whole..."If you Black, you Black" is not true...

White people know the different between an African, a West Indian and an AA

And White people and this government treat us as the same...when it comes to giving opportunities but when it comes to merit out that racism...they start talking like...

"You know...you not like the others.":ld:

And the "others" is African Americans.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
It's happening in cities like Houston. Guys like Brian Orakpo, Lil O, etc, just sound like Southern Texas Black folks even thought they're Nigerian. Their kids and kids kids will sound the same.

Same phenomenon happened to Bahamian migrants to Miami in the 1920's and their great grandchildren.

Samething is currently happening to Haitians in South Florida. They just sound like Miami Black folks, rather than Haitians.

Being AA is more than a "sound." The fact yall deduce it to how someone talks and hip hop is evidence enough why Black immigrants dont become AA by assimilation.

South Florida is not an AA stomping ground in the least bit.

K.Dot

African American
Daps
Reppin
Bro 'nem
We need to start seeing class and ethnicity...

African Americans need to stop seeing everyone as the same if they African descent because a lot of people of African descent that aren't a USA citizen come here and give the :sas2:
I agree, pan Africansim bit us in The ass to some extent.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Africa is a continent with many countries if two immigrants from Kenya for instance come here conceive and give birth to a child on American soil that child is Kenyan American. If that child grows up and procreates with an African American then its child will be both Kenyan and African American.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
This post is beyond ridiculous that I shouldnt even respond but I will.

:mjlol:You a Bozo
Nikka I dont care if AA or African or West indians Identify as albanians or pakistanaian I dont give shyt.
Okay and?

All I know is on the Census, I only have one choice AA, On the street Im just a regular black nikka
Lol... No. American census is RACIALIZED!

Thats the SAME census that has freaking Arabs and North Africans are grouped with whites. And why Indians who are South Asians are grouped in with Chinese people who are East Asian.

And on the census it clearly states "Black American or other black."

edit- one day yall mad Black immigrants dont identify as AA, next day yall want them to identify as AA

No is mad because this post is again ridiculous. You like the Coli CONTINUE to confuse confuse ethnicity with race that its like I'm speaking to a pre-schooler. African-Americans are ethnicity NOT a race... Thats like a bunch of AAs immigrating to Brazil and claiming they are now ethnic Afro-Brazilians. Or AAs migrating to Somalia and claiming they are ethnic Somalis. Neither cases would be true. And for Somalia, Bantus are their OWN ethnic group. Why is none of this true? Because none of the brought up groups share the same cultural history. However, they are all "black."

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I agree, pan Africansim bit us in The ass to some extent.

Pan Africanism is an a delusion. I am glad I got out of my whole wanting to be African phase. Only thing I want from Africa is reparations. And the only Black people I can see myself getting with is Afro-Latinos...just so can we push for reparations.

African immigrants are coming over here and they ain't coming over to be friends with us...and they ain't coming over here and letting us go get land and oil from Nigeria or Ghana...

They coming over here and taking our spot. We should've learned from West Indians but we didn't. Now we have a second wave of African descendant people coming over here and I am glad that we starting to look at them like...:wtb: instead of being on some :blessed: "Brother! Sister!" shyt...

We gonna have to kill this stupid pipe dream of wanting to be African and inclusive...

We are descendants of slaves, we made our life here, we fought here and we gonna die here.

And I don't care if is White person, an African, an Asian or a Latino...we are the True Americans. We have a more of a right to this country than anybody. Even Native Americans. I don't give a fukk about them either. They had slaves, fukk 'em.

We need to stop being soft and they start asserting ourselves as the founders and creators of the USA. Crackers stole it from us, they didn't build this shyt.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
This why I kept telling some of these AAs who were hard headed to tone down on the use of "black" as it can make things more confusing. But NOOOOOOO they called me a c00n and what not.... And now we're seeing more of the effects.

Black applies to so many different groups of people that are non-African...but when I said that Black just describes a phenotype...nikkas got all fukking emotional.

The appropriate classification to what African descendants of slaves in the Americas is New Afrikan or New World African...that's what I've see several population geneticists, sociologists and etc call us in their studies.

Black is just a long line of PC words to replace ******.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
This post is beyond ridiculous that I shouldnt even respond but I will.

Okay and?

Lol... No. American census is RACIALIZED!

Thats the SAME census that has freaking Arabs and North Africans are grouped with whites. And why Indians who are South Asians are grouped in with Chinese people who are East Asian.

And on the census it clearly states "Black American or other black."

No is mad because this post is again ridiculous. You like the Coli CONTINUE to confuse confuse ethnicity with race that its like I'm speaking to a pre-schooler. African-Americans are ethnicity NOT a race... Thats like a bunch of AAs immigrating to Brazil and claiming they are now ethnic Afro-Brazilians. Or AAs migrating to Somalia and claiming they are ethnic Somalis. Neither cases would be true. And for Somalia, Bantus are their OWN ethnic group. Why is none of this true? Because none of the brought up groups share the same cultural history. However, they are all "black."

You mad nikka?
Nikka I dont know nothing about no damn somali bantu I dont care either. I'm not somali and I'm not Bantu.

All I know is AA's have different definitions of what African Americans are, y'all don't even know frfr. :yeshrug:

K.Dot

African American
Daps
Reppin
Bro 'nem
Pan Africanism is an a delusion. I am glad I got out of my whole wanting to be African phase. Only thing I want from Africa is reparations. And the only Black people I can see myself getting with is Afro-Latinos...just so can we push for reparations.

African immigrants are coming over here and they ain't coming over to be friends with us...and they ain't coming over here and letting us go get land and oil from Nigeria or Ghana...

They coming over here and taking our spot. We should've learned from West Indians but we didn't. Now we have a second wave of African descendant people coming over here and I am glad that we starting to look at them like...:wtb: instead of being on some :blessed: "Brother! Sister!" shyt...

We gonna have to kill this stupid pipe dream of wanting to be African and inclusive...

We are descendants of slaves, we made our life here, we fought here and we gonna die here.

And I don't care if is White person, an African, an Asian or a Latino...we are the True Americans. We have a more of a right to this country than anybody. Even Native Americans. I don't give a fukk about them either. They had slaves, fukk 'em.

We need to stop being soft and they start asserting ourselves as the founders and creators of the USA. Crackers stole it from us, they didn't build this shyt.
:dead: @Poitier dapping this