At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
IDK how this thread has delved into a bunch of irrelevant shyt I wasn't even talking about. nikkas in here arguing about "Black" and all kinds of other shyt I didn't mention :skip:

We just saying...African immigrants can never be African American because they aren't descendants of slaves...

AAs are a forced creation.

An African immigrant loses his culture for whatever reason and then ingratiate his or herself in AA culture is just an African that lost his identity and assumed a new one.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
My uncle is married to a ghanian(not 100% sure she might be nigerian) anyway point I'm making is my cousins are basically AA:yeshrug:

Their grandmother only made an effort to impart the culture to the oldest (out of 4)and I'm not sure how much that has stuck in her day to day identity.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
We just saying...African immigrants can never be African American because they aren't descendants of slaves...

AAs are a forced creation.

An African immigrant loses his culture for whatever reason and then ingratiate his or herself in AA culture is just an African that lost his identity and assumed a new one.

That's not the point I was making though. Somewhere down the line Africans who have intermingled with AA's and have kids by them will have kids who are essentially AA whether that be their children directly or their grandchildren.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
My uncle is married to a ghanian(not 100% sure she might be nigerian) anyway point I'm making is my cousins are basically AA:yeshrug:

Their grandmother only made an effort to impart the culture to the oldest (out of 4)and I'm not sure how much that has stuck in her day to day identity.

Do not confuse us two. We have very different appearances.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
That's not the point I was making though. Somewhere down the line Africans who have intermingled with AA's and have kids by them will have kids who are essentially AA whether that be their children directly or their grandchildren.

Those type of mingling are only a small portion of the African population.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
IDK how this thread has delved into a bunch of irrelevant shyt I wasn't even talking about. nikkas in here arguing about "Black" and all kinds of other shyt I didn't mention :skip:

It might have started by me mentioning that is youre seen as black in America you're automatically categorized as AA. Growing up some of the Areas/schools I went to were damn near predominantly West Indian or African it didnt stop the "AA" White" teachers from labeling everyone in the classroom AA.

I dont care either way.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
@Turk I don't think you can just ''become'' AA. Perhaps AA-ised?

Same way people become arabised, americanised etc. You just adopt AA culture. If your half AA kids further marry AA then they become indistinguishable IMO.

I'm not talking about me myself becoming AA. I mean my children or the children of African immigrants becoming AA

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
@CharlieManson , what happened with AA's and west Indians :lupe:

West Indians came here and got houses and shyt while we couldn't because they weren't like us.

West Indians are the perfect example of how being non-AA is an advantage and how Black immigrants come over here where at back home they are majority and practice ethnic inclusivity while we try to be all open arms with them due our race based thinking.

Just read this paper...
http://scholarship.law.gwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2465&context=faculty_publications

Why are the black brownstone owners in Harlem and Brooklyn disproportionately West Indian? The landlords, West Indian-American? The tenants African-American? These are tough questions. For students of housing discrimination, West Indian Americans have long presented a quandary. If it is reasonable to assume that racial exclusions are being consistently applied to persons who are dark-skinned, one would expect to find that housing discrimination has had similar effects on West Indian Americans and African-Americans. Yet this is not the case: West Indian Americans generally own and rent higher quality housing than African Americans.

Eschewing more traditional explanations in the civil rights literature, I apply the literature in which racial segregation in real property ownership is conceived as a racial monopoly in which racial cartels appropriate anticompetitive techniques to monopolize access to real property. Maintaining a racial cartel is dependent on white owners maintaining a united front, that is, they must uniformly refuse to sell. Importantly, realtors play a gatekeeping role in real estate and West Indians dominated the realtor sector. As realtors, they were expert at finding defectors, namely, whites willing to break norms of racial exclusivity, in exchange for their ability to extract a premium for selling to blacks early. Brokers then proceeded to buy significant numbers of titles, which were then off-loaded to fellow West Indians. West Indian brokers could act in confidence because they had cashrich clients and were often buying in trust (de-facto if not de-jure) for fellow West Indians. In so doing, West Indian brokers in New York were simply replicating techniques that had been utilized by their land-brokering ancestors. I discuss the history that “previews” this period in New York, albeit in a different context: in the British West Indian islands from the migrants originated. There are repeated instances of blacks "busting" white monopolies in landownership, throughout the West Indian colonies in contravention of racial norms in the British colonies of who was allowed to own land where. Upon arrival in New York, West Indians encountered another racial monopoly in real property ownership, namely Northern racial segregation. They essentially appropriated the same techniques that they had utilized in the West Indies to break into white neighbourhoods in New York.

Last edited: