Assess my cover letter, What changes should I make? Would u consider hiring me

The5thLetter

Meow
Supporter
Daps
if the work is fire...once they see it, thats all that matters anyway
They wont ever see it cuz they'd mentally reject u after reading the CL.
You arent entitled to the job and they don owe u anything. Do yourself a favor and write a CL tailored to the position. Does the company's mission intrigue u/align with ur passion and past exp? What exp do u have that indicates a track record of success and that you can excel at the job?
I've been on quite a few searches at my job and an unprofessional or boilerplate CL gets tossed quick.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They wont ever see it cuz they'd mentally reject u after reading the CL.
You arent entitled to the job and they don owe u anything. Do yourself a favor and write a CL tailored to the position. Does the company's mission intrigue u/align with ur passion and past exp? What exp do u have that indicates a track record of success and that you can excel at the job?
I've been on quite a few searches at my job and an unprofessional or boilerplate CL gets tossed quick.
I dont give a fukk, really I just need this rent money , and to pursuit what I really want to do on the side

DrX

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So stay broke hoe and stop asking for advice :camby:
i wont stay broke sis.....i have world classic talent

what do u do? probably some boring shyt

I have a legit skillset that only a small % of ppl possess

DrX

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Administrator @ a med school
Supervisor at a shelter
Side biz helping w/ resumes and CL

oh ok, , we got off on the wrong start, lets start this conversation over....How would u word it?

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
As a former hiring manager what tips/loopholes do you think you could give a breh.

Resume, resume, resume. It's even more important then the cover letter b/c a CL can be copypasta'd, but your resume tells the real story. I'll read a bad resume b/c good resume writing is kind of rare, but I know a lot of managers who won't read a bad resume.

IMO, your resume should only list the jobs that relate to your occupation. I'm a teacher, so my background only relates to my work in education. Nobody cares that I was a pawnbroker at Cash America Pawn in undergrad, you know? But I see this all the time.

If you have a portfolio, keep it current. (Again, guilty.) I'm not interested in anything you've done past the last couple of years. If your magnum opus has a 2008 date, that tells me that you've done nothing of merit lately.

Also, don't ever, ever, ever lie about your education. It's the lie that most people get caught in, and it's one of the few that'll get you fired way down the line. I know employers who will be sympathetic to certain (minor) charges, but you'll never catch a break if you lie about your education. If your ass graduated with the GED Class of 1999, you damn well better not say you have a high school diploma from Hootie Mack High School. (Also, nobody cares about your GPA, not even if you're in college or high school. If it's on the application, list it; if it's on your resume, don't bother.)

Honestly, that's all I can really think of - and keep in mind that you'll have other managers who'll disagree. The problem is that it's not even really about credentials or talent anymore. It basically boils down to whether or not the manager likes you and whether s/he thinks you have room to grow and learn. Take OP here. That cover letter? Basura. So right off the bat, I know that 1) he failed Basic Professionalism 101, and 2) he didn't even bother to do the research to get better. That's a sign of ignorance, laziness, or both. (Good on breh for asking the professionals at The Coli, but Googling professional writing samples would've been better.) As the thread goes on, we see that OP doesn't take criticism well and that he's arrogant as hell. You can have a trash CL that's professional in tone, but like @Clutch Robinson said, it really DOES come across as "hire me kthxbi". It's unprofessional to the point of being borderline disrespectful. Bushes.

Now, am I wrong about OP? Probably so. Maybe I've missed a diamond in the rough b/c of a bullshyt "hire me bro" cover letter, and that'll be my loss. But do I have time to find out? No, because I have 80 other applicants who have decent, professional cover letters to look over. Have I ever had a time where I thought, Damn, I should've hired that other guy with the bullshyt resume and the email address of bustanutinyourbutt@gmail.com? Never. In the words of Trick Daddy, you ain't got to be the best - but you better be close enough. (He was talking about giving head, but whatever.)

I already told u, but u wanted to get smart. Tone that hubris down maybe you'd get further in life faster

OP wants us to do the work for him. Like Google ain't free.

The5thLetter

Meow
Supporter
Daps
Resume, resume, resume. It's even more important then the cover letter b/c a CL can be copypasta'd, but your resume tells the real story. I'll read a bad resume b/c good resume writing is kind of rare, but I know a lot of managers who won't read a bad resume.

IMO, your resume should only list the jobs that relate to your occupation. I'm a teacher, so my background only relates to my work in education. Nobody cares that I was a pawnbroker at Cash America Pawn in undergrad, you know? But I see this all the time.

If you have a portfolio, keep it current. (Again, guilty.) I'm not interested in anything you've done past the last couple of years. If your magnum opus has a 2008 date, that tells me that you've done nothing of merit lately.

Also, don't ever, ever, ever lie about your education. It's the lie that most people get caught in, and it's one of the few that'll get you fired way down the line. I know employers who will be sympathetic to certain (minor) charges, but you'll never catch a break if you lie about your education. If your ass graduated with the GED Class of 1999, you damn well better not say you have a high school diploma from Hootie Mack High School. (Also, nobody cares about your GPA, not even if you're in college or high school. If it's on the application, list it; if it's on your resume, don't bother.)

Honestly, that's all I can really think of - and keep in mind that you'll have other managers who'll disagree. The problem is that it's not even really about credentials or talent anymore. It basically boils down to whether or not the manager likes you and whether s/he thinks you have room to grow and learn. Take OP here. That cover letter? Basura. So right off the bat, I know that 1) he failed Basic Professionalism 101, and 2) he didn't even bother to do the research to get better. That's a sign of ignorance, laziness, or both. (Good on breh for asking the professionals at The Coli, but Googling professional writing samples would've been better.) As the thread goes on, we see that OP doesn't take criticism well and that he's arrogant as hell. You can have a trash CL that's professional in tone, but like @Clutch Robinson said, it really DOES come across as "hire me kthxbi". It's unprofessional to the point of being borderline disrespectful. Bushes.

Now, am I wrong about OP? Probably so. Maybe I've missed a diamond in the rough b/c of a bullshyt "hire me bro" cover letter, and that'll be my loss. But do I have time to find out? No, because I have 80 other applicants who have decent, professional cover letters to look over. Have I ever had a time where I thought, Damn, I should've hired that other guy with the bullshyt resume and the email address of bustanutinyourbutt@gmail.com? Never. In the words of Trick Daddy, you ain't got to be the best - but you better be close enough. (He was talking about giving head, but whatever.)

OP wants us to do the work for him. Like Google ain't free.

:ehh:Great advice. Was gonna say something similar but didn't wanna waste my time on OP lol

IWasntMadeToPlayTheSon

Mutant Mindframe
Daps
Reppin
Concrete, Concrete like Greg Street
:mjpls: oh really, My portfolio is world class....once they see the work the letter shouldn't matter or the resume....
Im sure it is. However, they most likely won't see your portfolio b/c your cover letter is immature and way too casual. Also, use 'Best Regards' as a closing rather than 'Sincerely'...shyt is played out like Kwame and them fukking polka dots.

• Dap
Reactions: DrX