Are we ready to admit Dragon’s Dogma 2 wasn’t very good?

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I fell off this and Rebirth pretty hard

Stellar Yams kept me hooked the whole time. Who woulda thought

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
It was trash, its been a while since I don't finish a game.

Performance was embarrassing.
The game was exactly the same as the first one, same dated controls, menus and UX, quest tracking, the exact same enemies and they didn't even update the PAWG system, everything was the same as the old ass first game but with better graphics.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Game is fire but the way the story goes from super interesting to non existent and the ending leaves a terrible taste.

Game went from a 9.5 to a 7 after credits roll. I was so confused I was like no way this is the actual end...lol legit didn't even understand what happened.

But everything else is fire and a great experience, I'm sure the expansion will improve things.

But the overall experience is one of a kind.

But if we taking reviews for people finishing games BG3 would be a 7 as well
Imagine comparing one of the best games ever to this garbage :mjlol:

Also is not a one of a kind experience, its the exact same experience as the 12 year old first game but with somehow worse performance.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
the only valid point is folks are still hurt about starfield reviews. No need to shyt on BG3 to validate your love for it
Not at all bro. Y'all are very selective as far as what games get points knocked off for bugs and glitches and which ones don't. Baldur's Gate 3 did have issues with the 3rd act at launch but no one ever mentioned it. Honestly Dragon's Dogma has better performance than Baldur's Gate 3's third act did at launch. I love Baldur's Gate and it deserves it's praise, but it didn't get panned the same way Cyberpunk and now this game is despite having similar issues. You gotta hold all games to the same standards when reviewing them is all he is saying.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Not at all bro. Y'all are very selective as far as what games get points knocked off for bugs and glitches and which ones don't. Baldur's Gate 3 did have issues with the 3rd act at launch but no one ever mentioned it. Honestly Dragon's Dogma has better performance than Baldur's Gate 3's third act did at launch. I love Baldur's Gate and it deserves it's praise, but it didn't get panned the same way Cyberpunk and now this game is despite having similar issues. You gotta hold all games to the same standards when reviewing them is all he is saying.

Again, why are yall trying to make this entire thread about just performance, it was one bullet point out of like 12? :dahell:

The game underwhelms on multiple levels, BG3 is pretty much the perfect game despite the late game hiccups. Yall pick the worst battles

• Encounter design
  • Lack of enemy variety
  • Bad pacing
  • Non-existent story and one dimensional characters
  • Bad progression system, limited variety of each job, and too easy
  • Pawn system wasn’t fully fleshed out
  • Graphics and animations were lacklusters
  • Bad companion/romance system
  • Exploration becomes tedious due to lack of unique towns and enviornments
Etc etc….i don’t even see how you can try and compare this game to BG3, you couldn’t even give me 3 reasons why BG3 doesn’t deserve its praise

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Again, why are yall trying to make this entire thread about just performance, it was one bullet point out of like 12? :dahell:

The game underwhelms on multiple levels, BG3 is pretty much the perfect game despite the late game hiccups. Yall pick the worst battles

• Encounter design
  • Lack of enemy variety
  • Bad pacing
  • Non-existent story and one dimensional characters
  • Bad progression system, limited variety of each job, and too easy
  • Pawn system wasn’t fully fleshed out
  • Graphics and animations were lacklusters
  • Bad companion/romance system
  • Exploration becomes tedious due to lack of unique towns and enviornments
Etc etc….i don’t even see how you can try and compare this game to BG3, you couldn’t even give me 3 reasons why BG3 doesn’t deserve its praise
You clearly didn't and don't read when I said I love Baldur's Gate 3, not suprised though a lot of y'all don't read. Fact of the matter is I've seen games that had everything you are praising BG3 for get ran through the mud for having performance issues at launch. I said for the entire time Cyberpunk 2077 was a fantastic game yet the game got drug because of performance issues; Granted it did have much worse performance issues than this game or BG3. Fact of the matter is there was a whole lot of people in an uproar about developers releasing games buggy and/or incomplete. All I'm saying is if you knock points off this game and Cyberpunk for performance you have to for BG3 as well regardless how well everything else in the game is. I don't pick and choose which games to hold technical issues against like most people here.

As far as the list you gave, a lot of that is a matter of opinion because I know plenty of people who enjoyed the hell out of Dragon's Dogma 2. It's almost hilarious to me you were expecting Dragon's Dogma 2 to have a good story, the story of the first game wasn't that great because this game isn't trying to be a narrative driven experience like that. Unfortunately for some reason gamers nownq days think every game is supposed to have Stephen King or James Patterson level stories when that's not what every game is trying to go for.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
2. It's almost hilarious to me you were expecting Dragon's Dogma 2 to have a good story

How Dare I:dahell:

Again, i don’t now why are trying to just single out performance even after the last post. I’m also not one of the people who trashed cyberpunk 2077 for performance so you got the wrong person

What’s clear is this is obviously about something else that yall need to get off your chest

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
How Dare I:dahell:

Again, i don’t now why are trying to just single out performance even after the last post. I’m also not one of the people who trashed cyberpunk 2077 for performance so you got the wrong person
Bro you are primarily a gamer who likes narrative driven experiences in your video games. Nothing wrong with that. Dragon's Dogma 2 is NOT the game you should have bought looking for that. Not every game is trying to give you a pulitzer prize winning story everytime out. Some games are narrative driven some are gameplay focused. The fact that people are failing to understand this is mind blowing to me because it has ALWAYS been like this in gaming. Different games are trying to accomplish different goals.

The reason why I'm talking about performance is because that is the point he is trying to make. @The Mad Titan isn't trying to discredit the things BG3 does well, all he is saying is he has seen games(as have I) that have fantastic gameplay, story, characters, level design, you name it etc etc etc get absolutely TRASHED and had points off it's review score docked because of performance issues, yet other games that have performance issues also everyone is Stevie Wonder to them. The point he is trying to make is, is that you have to be fair and hold all these games to the same standards because my PERSONAL experience Dragon's Dogma 2 performed just fine never had it crash on me and very little framerate issues, meanwhile while it isn't a lot I have had BG3 literally have 3 bugs that crashed my game and I had to reload yet. Did it make me hate the game, hell no BG3 is fantastic, but it doesn't change the fact if it was graded the same way other games were it would go from being a 9.5 or a 10 to a 9/10 for that.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
was super iffy about buying this, op just confirmed my thoughts, i'll check it out when its free

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
you are primarily a gamer who likes narrative driven experiences in your video games. Nothing wrong with that

Must be why my favorite games are souls games :ohhh:

No one is asking for some christopher Nolan/lord of the rings type script, im asking for a game that feels like it actually has a coherent plotline to follow. Either completely do away with it or put it back in the oven to finish cooking.

What they gave us just wasn’t compelling and again, it’s only a small piece of why the entire experience feels undercooked. I don’t play zelda for plotline either but i loved the hell out of BoTW and ToTK because they just gave you a big, fun and diverse sandbox to play in. This game didn’t know whether it wanted to be a full immersive combat focused playground or something with a more focused plotline.

It failed at both

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Happy to see this trash come and go. No game’s love as a “cult classic” has been more infuriating to me than the first one. I didn’t even dislike the game, it was just mediocre. But the way that people continued to gas it up over the years just pissed me off. Like nothing about it was unique and even the climbing onto shyt during battles was CLUNKY TRASH

Hope this is the last time we see this trash ass series. :pacspit:
Damn breh :picard:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Must be why my favorite games are souls games :ohhh:

No one is asking for some christopher Nolan/lord of the rings type script, im asking for a game that feels like it actually has a coherent plotline to follow. Either completely do away with it or put it back in the oven to finish cooking.

What they gave us just wasn’t compelling and again, its only a small piece of why the entire experience feels undercooked
So you're telling me that Souls games has a more coherent storyline than Dragon's Dogma 2? Bro both of these games are more lore driven than narrative driven and neither of them have a strong story at all. The reason why I say a lot of your gripes are a matter of opinion is because while I do agree with some of your points(bad pacing and they did take a step back with the progression and less abilities), I don't agree with exploration(this game has NPC's who have schedules they follow and the world feels lived in; also clearing out monsters from the world actually does effect traversal and the world and NPC's will acknowledge it) or the world and the graphics were fine to me. Performance is one of the only ways you can be completely objective about when grading it for a game, either it performs well or it doesn't. You can't debate that.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
shyts crazy, there shouldn't be any great 9+ rated games cause you can't have bugs in your game.

Imagine if these folks were Art Critics. "Mona Lisa is a 8.5 out of 10, look at the smudge on the left side of the canvas". :martin: