Are scientist trying to be too smart?

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
@Teedot People in here are berating you because you're attempting to criticize something you don't understand. As the other guy said in here it makes you look like a dumb ass. Science is based on theories. A theory is different from a fact or scientific law because although it may have a great deal of evidence behind it, in the case of gravity, it is very difficult to prove that a phenomenon occurs or behaves the way we predict it to 100% of the time. You insinuated in your first post that we can't measure these quantities because we can't see/interact with them, this is something anyone who has taken an intro to physics class would know is not true. I strongly recommend you begin watching Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman. It goes into more detail than Cosmos. And plenty of people answered your question with mathematical methods we use to measure the quantities you stated, you just ignored them.

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
@Teedot People in here are berating you because you're attempting to criticize something you don't understand. As the other guy said in here it makes you look like a dumb ass. Science is based on theories. A theory is different from a fact or scientific law because although it may have a great deal of evidence behind it, in the case of gravity, it is very difficult to prove that a phenomenon occurs or behaves the way we predict it to 100% of the time. You insinuated in your first post that we can't measure these quantities because we can't see/interact with them, this is something anyone who has taken an intro to physics class would know is not true. I strongly recommend you begin watching Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman. It goes into more detail than Cosmos. And plenty of people answered your question with mathematical methods we use to measure the quantities you stated, you just ignored them.
I'm done with the topic. I'm fully aware of the difference between a fact and a theory. You are missing part of my point as well.

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
So I was watching a few programs yesterday about space. They were mostly focused on planets. During the programs they were discussing the planets components all they way down to the core. As you probably know that they send satellites out into space to get their info. None of these satellites have the capabilities to survive the harsh conditions of the planets. They stated that. So basically they know nothing hardly. They have also stated how big the sun is. But how could they know that? Nothing could get close enough to the sun to accurately measure it's size and how ridiculously big it is. How about all the galaxies? Whose to say there is a lot or a few. Surely no telescope could ever measure that.

That led me to think of how much scientist actually know.

This same question came into my head while being in a thread discussing pain. How can u accurately measure pain? Of course you can say a bullet shot would hurt worse than a stomach ache but when it comes to extreme pain such as natural childbirth or cluster headaches. How can we truly determine the pain felt unless we have experienced both?

what are some of the things that scientist claim they know about but you actually think they don't? I say space. Everything is mostly theories even though they act like a lot are facts.
With all due respect Teedot, judging from the bolded I can see you don't know what you're talking about. When a theory has amassed such a great amount of credible evidence it holds more weight. Gravity as I said before, is still a theory. A ball could fly up tomorrow and shatter everything we know, but the possibility of that happening is so small that it is almost negligible. Thus you see the level of confidence scientists have in their theories. There are a lot of things in space we can't see, wormholes, dark matter, dark energy, etc. but we are still quite certain that they exist. The only claim you made that has any merit is the one about pain. Pain can not be measured accurately you're correct about that so it's not like I'm saying you're an idiot.

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
With all due respect Teedot, judging from the bolded I can see you don't know what you're talking about. When a theory has amassed such a great amount of credible evidence it holds more weight. Gravity as I said before, is still a theory. A ball could fly up tomorrow and shatter everything we know, but the possibility of that happening is so small that it is almost negligible. Thus you see the level of confidence scientists have in their theories. There are a lot of things in space we can't see, wormholes, dark matter, dark energy, etc. but we are still quite certain that they exist. The only claim you made that has any merit is the one about pain. Pain can not be measured accurately you're correct about that so it's not like I'm saying you're an idiot.
I know exactly what a theory is. Don't try to tell me what I know from a handful of post.

So what I have got from the thread is that one must not question anything a scientist says about space even though in reality we know such a small portion about it and only telescopes and satellites can explore the objects. But you can question a scientist about anything in our actual world even though they can extensively study it in a lab right in front of them doing test :mjlol:

People in this thread are really trying to spin to me that I dont have a valid point.:mjlol:

Some things are facts while some are just theories. The programs I watched were presenting a lot of theories but trying to pull it off as facts.

PullOutGawd

Boosie the GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Falls
So I was watching a few programs yesterday about space. They were mostly focused on planets. During the programs they were discussing the planets components all they way down to the core. As you probably know that they send satellites out into space to get their info. None of these satellites have the capabilities to survive the harsh conditions of the planets. They stated that. So basically they know nothing hardly. They have also stated how big the sun is. But how could they know that? Nothing could get close enough to the sun to accurately measure it's size and how ridiculously big it is. How about all the galaxies? Whose to say there is a lot or a few. Surely no telescope could ever measure that.

That led me to think of how much scientist actually know.

This same question came into my head while being in a thread discussing pain. How can u accurately measure pain? Of course you can say a bullet shot would hurt worse than a stomach ache but when it comes to extreme pain such as natural childbirth or cluster headaches. How can we truly determine the pain felt unless we have experienced both?

what are some of the things that scientist claim they know about but you actually think they don't? I say space. Everything is mostly theories even though they act like a lot are facts.

Dumb smart nikka
lol-duck.gif

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
I know exactly what a theory is. Don't try to tell me what I know from a handful of post.

So what I have got from the thread is that one must not question anything a scientist says about space even though in reality we know such a small portion about it and only telescopes and satellites can explore the objects. But you can question a scientist about anything in our actual world even though they can extensively study it in a lab right in front of them doing test :mjlol:

People in this thread are really trying to spin to me that I dont have a valid point.:mjlol:

Some things are facts while some are just theories. The programs I watched were presenting a lot of theories but trying to pull it off as facts.
It's not that you shouldn't question them, it's that you're not asking the right questions. Everything you asked is very easy to explain, except for the thing you said about pain. You said that because our satellites can't reach these planets, we can't gather information about them, and so all these calculations they've made our baseless. That's just stupid. Stop being stubborn, everyone in here has explained to you why you're incorrect and you're getting angry at that. You need to stop being so sensitive and learn about these things instead of getting in your feelings.

Costanza

lord of the idiots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jerrys place
Im not going to read all this back and forth, but i think the op has dis-confirmation bias about certain things...

The sun has been measured, and all it took was a 20 second google search for me to figure out how it was done..

If you really want to poke holes in stuff wouldnt you be better off just researching it first before making threads like this?

Last edited:

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
Im not going to read all this back and forth, but i think the op has the opposite of dis-confirmation bias about certain things...

The sun has been measured, and all it took was a 20 second google search for me to figure out how it was done..

If you really want to poke holes in stuff wouldnt you be better off just researching it first before making threads like this?
No shyt the sun has been measured.

Costanza

lord of the idiots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jerrys place
No shyt the sun has been measured.

They have also stated how big the sun is. But how could they know that? Nothing could get close enough to the sun to accurately measure it's size and how ridiculously big it is. How about all the galaxies? Whose to say there is a lot or a few. Surely no telescope could ever measure that.

you asked how it was done, i said it took me 20 seconds to google that and find how they did it.

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Most of those nikkas are short, unattractive and have difficulty gettin' p*ssy

At least let them have the fact that they're smart and they know a lot more than the average person when it comes to the science shyt :snoop:

My cousin's fiancee is a scientist (currently pursuing his PHD), he is exactly as you described in the bolded. He looks like a midget next to my cousin and she's 5'7.

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
People accurately measured the circumference of the earth two thousand years ago using nothing but math and shadows from the sun. So you don't think we can apply these same principles to outer space using sophisticated technology and very precise data?

Really? I was under the impression that most people thought the Earth was flat until very recently ("recent" is relative when you consider how long we been around).