Are regional accents dying out in the US?

hatealot

Banned
Daps
Gullah geechie hood accent
These dudes sound Caribbean lol

My family come from the low country, on the border of savanah ga but on the carolina side, my family derive from St. Helena Island and that gullah speak is a crazy mix. My mother moved from there mannny years ago and she is in her mid 70s now and she still gets approached by West Indians thinking she has a Caribbean accent. There is a strong sierra leone connection in those parts from my understanding. Someone in my family actually went to Sierra Leone in the late 80s/90s and did a documentary and brought over some of the rice baskets they use there and compared it to what the villagers there had and it was 100% a match, without even telling them what it was, those villagers in Sierra Leone knew exactly what it was and the different baskets for used for, cementing the connection even further. Even with some of the language. Sorry for the drawn out but I find those connections interesting as hell

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
But you still hear this in AA New Yorkers? Funny thing is black New Yorkers probably don’t even know it.
If the Jewish accent y'all talking about is turning bird into boid like Indiglow made an example of, or like you said Jersey into Joisy. I knew an 80 year old preacher from Alabama who would pronounce first as foist. That sound like some shyt we would associate with an old timey Jewish NY accent. I'm sure that man never stepped foot in New York. Maybe that was just some old time American shyt that was stronger in NY.
Great thread @Cave Savage

Another rugged accent that I’ve come in contact with is that “mid south” accent. Starts just north of Jackson, Miss and goes up to St Louis. Project Pat is the rapper I think of most who has this accent. Beer as Burr, here as hurr, and the extra r’s added on to words like ferw as few, and compurter as computer.

Nelly and Chingy talked like this as well
They got some of this in east Mississippi and west Alabama too. My grandmother's sister used to pronounce Michael Jordan as Michael Jerden.:mjlol:yeah that's that mid South shyt Fr Fr. And can't forget "mane". Midsouth shyt. I wonder how mane got to the Bay? Prolly by way of St. Louis and other parts of the Midwest that's on that, migration shyt. I know the bay and Midwest got some type of connections goin on.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
My family come from the low country, on the border of savanah ga but on the carolina side, my family derive from St. Helena Island and that gullah speak is a crazy mix. My mother moved from there mannny years ago and she is in her mid 70s now and she still gets approached by West Indians thinking she has a Caribbean accent. There is a strong sierra leone connection in those parts from my understanding. Someone in my family actually went to Sierra Leone in the late 80s/90s and did a documentary and brought over some of the rice baskets they use there and compared it to what the villagers there had and it was 100% a match, without even telling them what it was, those villagers in Sierra Leone knew exactly what it was and the different baskets for used for, cementing the connection even further. Even with some of the language. Sorry for the drawn out but I find those connections interesting as hell
My girl family from around that way as well. Beaufort, SC

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
If the Jewish accent y'all talking about is turning bird into boid like Indiglow made an example of, or like you said Jersey into Joisy. I knew an 80 year old preacher from Alabama who would pronounce first as foist. That sound like some shyt we would associate with an old timey Jewish NY accent. I'm sure that man never stepped foot in New York. Maybe that was just some old time American shyt that was stronger in NY.

They got some of this in east Mississippi and west Alabama too. My grandmother's sister used to pronounce Michael Jordan as Michael Jerden.:mjlol:yeah that's that mid South shyt Fr Fr. And can't forget "mane". Midsouth shyt. I wonder how mane got to the Bay? Prolly by way of St. Louis and other parts of the Midwest that's on that, migration shyt. I know the bay and Midwest got some type of connections goin on.
Michael Jerden :russ:. Man, I be having to keep it together when my auntie pronounce milk as mirk.

My homeboy from the bay and got fam all throughout Arkansas, so yea the bay and the Midwest got a connection. Reading up on that migration shyt is interesting as hell. I know most my homies from the Sip have fam in Chicago, and a lot of the Bama brehs I know got fam in Detroit or Michigan

hatealot

Banned
Daps
Michael Jerden :russ:. Man, I be having to keep it together when my auntie pronounce milk as mirk.

My homeboy from the bay and got fam all throughout Arkansas, so yea the bay and the Midwest got a connection. Reading up on that migration shyt is interesting as hell. I know most my homies from the Sip have fam in Chicago, and a lot of the Bama brehs I know got fam in Detroit or Michigan
Had a woman from the Bay who was living in NYC break it down to me about that because its interesting. She basically said it all depended on the railroads, hence why certain states migrated to specific locations heavily.

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
Had this chick in my engineering classes who was from Maryland. I used to pick on her ass all the time about her accent. Talmbout “tew” and “murland”.

Used to tell her all the time they sounded like they came straight from the mid south.

Sounds like she’s from the Baltimore area side of Maryland. That’s the only part of the state (and the Eastern Shore to some extent) where you’ll hear a Marylander say “tew” or “wooder” or “yew” for example.

Those of us on the DC side of the state (PG, Mo County, and Charles County) mainly sound like DC but we do pronounce Maryland as Murrland or Murrlin, I do it all the time personally. It just rolls off the tongue better than saying “Mary Land” :russ: