Are regional accents dying out in the US?

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Didn’t know that, that’s pretty dope.

Btw breh, is that a Universal Madness varsity you’re rocking in the avi?
Nah I wish, this something from a store up here.
I need some old Solbiato or Aja Imani pieces...even one of the old school madness shop jawns w/ the sun on it

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
I know a NYC breh when I hear one when out of town...

You can still hear accents from different regions.. but folk will fake the funk and talk like they from a certain region not to claim another

During my trip to Vegas the the bartender at the restaurant didn’t even let me finish my statement and guessed I was from NY. She wasn’t a New Yorker either. Lol.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
Internet/social media plays a part. It's kind of like regional styles of hip hop. The are still there, but not as exclusive because everyone can take a peak from home now.

I remember when that first real Atlanta wave hit (Tip, Jeezy, Gucci) and nikkaz from Detroit was trying to talk like they were from the south :gucci:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Internet/social media plays a part. It's kind of like regional styles of hip hop. The are still there, but not as exclusive because everyone can take a peak from home now.

I remember when that first real Atlanta wave hit (Tip, Jeezy, Gucci) and nikkaz from Detroit was trying to talk like they were from the south :gucci:

In the booth they were saying that Detroit is Gucci manes second highest market.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor
In the booth they were saying that Detroit is Gucci manes second highest market.
I believe it. Never heard of Gucci around the city like that but this is Jeezy's second home. In my early clubs days when the beef was really cooking the Dj in the club would run a 15 minute Gucci set and a 15 minute Jeezy set. Everyone would pick the gucci or jeezy side in the club and would damn near be going to war. They both always got major love in Detroit

KodeBlue

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Doesn’t NC get picked on for some of its people really trying to speak like they from up north? Or use to.

There is this one rap video that I need to find where I saw exactly what you talking about. But I watched this music video like 10 years ago. Can’t find it! Smh!

People from NC still have a strong southern accent. The transplants haven't drown out the local accents yet.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
I get asked daily "where am I from"? Yet I've lived in Sacramento my whole life. What am I supposed to sound like :gucci:

Brehs from the Bay Area have a different accent than from the dudes over here. Especially if they're from Oakland.