Are regional accents dying out in the US?

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
Philly has it's own scene and style, plus NY depended on POP ART for early record releases.
DC and Bmore are not rap cities.
Philly has a variation of Bmore club music. So does Jersey.
NYC doesn't.
Philly also used to play gogo on the radio. NYC did not.

Didn’t know that, that’s pretty dope.

Btw breh, is that a Universal Madness varsity you’re rocking in the avi?

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
We say our ERs proper for the most part. I think our (Syracuse) accents are pretty neutral.

edit: I know no accent is "neutral" but I just don't think it sounds like anywhere else
Our AR is also hard and proper. Mark, bark, park. hear it with a snoop voice

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
Great thread @Cave Savage

Another rugged accent that I’ve come in contact with is that “mid south” accent. Starts just north of Jackson, Miss and goes up to St Louis. Project Pat is the rapper I think of most who has this accent. Beer as Burr, here as hurr, and the extra r’s added on to words like ferw as few, and compurter as computer.

Nelly and Chingy talked like this as well

I know this bad light skinned conscious girl from Knoxville, TN who has this accent. I met her at the MET Museum up in NYC. That country drawl of hers be sounding like honey soothing the back of my mind :noah: She fukks with me too, so we tryna link up again one day :takedat:

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
There seems to be a big Jewish influence on the New York accent.
When I lived there back in 2012, everyone sounded Jewish to me, even my cousins.

When I used to visit my family for summers in Virginia, my cousins would call me "Mayor Koch"
because of my supposed NYC accent (which I didn't know I had).

I would call my cousins "Beverly Hillbillies" in return.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
The Gullah culture is real interesting. The reason for there being so many similarities to the Caribbean is that South Carolina wasn’t heavily inhabited by white folks. Especially the SC islands. Some of SC is damn near tropical like in climate and European settlers had a hard time living there. At one point there were more slaves than white people and it was the only state like that. So slaves were able to maintain much of their original vernacular and customs. Just like in the Caribbean. The Spanish colonies were a different beast tho