Are regional accents dying out in the US?

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
I don't find young native whites in NYC to have any accent really. Maybe some of the Guidos in Howard Beach and Staten Island.

I think the Jewish influence might be heard more so from older people

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Great thread @Cave Savage

Another rugged accent that I’ve come in contact with is that “mid south” accent. Starts just north of Jackson, Miss and goes up to St Louis. Project Pat is the rapper I think of most who has this accent. Beer as Burr, here as hurr, and the extra r’s added on to words like ferw as few, and compurter as computer.

Nelly and Chingy talked like this as well

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights

Another rugged accent that I’ve come in contact with is that “mid south” accent. Starts just north of Jackson, Miss and goes up to St Louis. Project Pat is the rapper I think of most who has this accent. Beer as Burr, here as hurr, and the extra r’s added on to words like ferw as few, and compurter as computer.

Nelly came to mind immediately when I read this.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)

Louisville and a decent amount of Cinci people sound like this, too...that's how you can trace the migration pattern.
:sas2:
Craziest cat I heard was a dude who spent half his life in STL and moved to Bmore in his mid teens...Breh had the TEW YEW DEW x HURR BURR.
:mjlol:

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps

When I went to STL as a kid I was like these dudes sound like they from north Memphis lol

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Louisville and a decent amount of Cinci people sound like this, too...that's how you can trace the migration pattern.
:sas2:
Craziest cat I heard was a dude who spent half his life in STL and moved to Bmore in his mid teens...Breh had the TEW YEW DEW x HURR BURR.
:mjlol:
I forgot all about Cinci, but you’re right.

I used to work at a Honda plant in Marysville, OH and came across some dudes from Nati. Probably some of the coolest folk I’ve ever met, but they ain’t take no shyt. Lived in Columbus, and they ain’t really have the accent. A lot of Somalians there.

Never been to Detroit, but those doughboy cashout boys sounded straight outta Cali

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
When I went to STL as a kid I was like these dudes sound like they from north Memphis lol
Yep! Knew a cat from Arkansas who sounded exactly like Yo Gotti lol.

I mentioned Mississippi, but Jackson on down got the gulf accent. New Orleans got they own thing, but Jackson and Baton Rouge accents are similar to me, and then when I found out Pimp C was from Louisiana, it made sense. He kinda had that high pitched accent that them boys in and around BR have.

I agree with the sentiment that slang is pretty much dead, but certain cities still got they own thing. In Jackson they call everyone, ju. Had a homie that always hit me with the “what up, ju?”

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
I don’t even know what an Ohio or Kentucky accent is no offense. And do dudes from the entire West coast sound like LA cats?

Cleveland (HF nikkas/86x/Eastside) (Sound more like Chicago with some Upstate...upstate Brehs also kinda sound like Cleveland nikkas...They're closer geographically and culturally than Buffalo and NYC)

Columbus (Eastside MTV/Mount Vernon) (Sound more like Cali or Detroit....but this is the city where a lot of NY and NJ black people moved to...Cam'ron lived in Columbus and a lot of y'all move there for school...and other reasons) vid is from like 2007.

Cinci (East Ferg: WESTSIDE) (sound more like STL/KY)

3 different accents.

Last edited:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hear it among all native new yorkers. Not so much among immigrant groups.
But yes, even my black cousins, from Queens sound Jewish. It's the weirdest thing.

For instance, Charles Range and he's from Harlem. Nikka sounds as if he's about to break out in yiddish.

Or Lawrence Graham.

Charlie rangel almost sounds like Bernie Sanders no bs.

But then you have peewee Kirkland from harlem who sounds more southern

invalid

Banned
Daps
Charlie rangel almost sounds like Bernie Sanders no bs.

But then you have peewee Kirkland from harlem who sounds more southern

Was going to post this....

They break down what I’m hearing exactly and what I associate with the Jewish accent. It’s called the “thought vowel”. It’s what you hear with Charlie Rangel as well.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.

Cleveland (HF nikkas/86x/Eastside) (Sound more like Chicago with some Upstate...upstate Brehs also kinda sound like Cleveland nikkas...They're closer geographically and culturally than Buffalo and NYC)

Columbus (Eastside MTV/Mount Vernon) (Sound more like Cali or Detroit....but this is the city where a lot of NY and NJ black people moved to...Cam'ron lived in Columbus and a lot of y'all move there for school...and other reasons) vid is from like 2007.

Cinci (East Ferg: WESTSIDE) (sound more like STL/KY)

3 different accents.

Dope. You right tho cause two of my homegirls dead live in Columbus now.