Are regional accents dying out in the US?

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
They rejected NY culture and slang. The original mason dixon line is in SOUTH JERSEY.
YOU ARE A FIRST GEN.
How you gonna tell an 8th or 9th gen AA about his own culture?
I literally lived up and down the Eastern seaboard with family and history in each area.
Breh, I have people from Boston to West Palm, ain't none of em "just get here".
Spent my summers in N.O...lived and hustled in YOUR BOROUGH, upstate, the DMV, Florida, Tx.
You just travel and listen with untuned ears.
You do not hear brehs comparing different immigrant accents, but y'all sure drop yours to pick ours up.
Studying ass nikka go post up on a block and soak it in.

I don’t mind the history lesson but my research tells me the Mason Dixie Line was drawn between Maryland and Delaware.

It technically wasnt drawn to include New Jersey.

Every Northern City has their own accent. Why would Philly, DC and Bmore need to approve NYC slang if they had their own culture? When it comes to hip hop Philly is more attached to New Jersey and New York then it is to Baltimore or DC. That’s a fact!

I also admire that you traveled a lot.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Depends on the city.
Cinci people had New Orleans/Texas migration.
Cleveland people came from the Southeast.
Black people started moving to Columbus fairly recently like after the 60s, and the black population didn't pop until the 90s...
People come from everywhere and it's the only city in Ohio with a lot of Africans, Asians, and Mexicans.

Charleston, SC is also a major relocation spot for Ohio retirees.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
I don’t mind the history lesson but my research tells me the Mason Dixie Line was drawn between Maryland and Delaware.

It technically wasnt drawn to include New Jersey.

Every Northern City has their own accent. Why would Philly, DC and Bmore need to approve NYC slang if they had their own culture? When it comes to hip hop Philly is more attached to New Jersey and New York then it is to Baltimore or DC. That’s a fact!

I also admire that you traveled a lot.
Philly has it's own scene and style, plus NY depended on POP ART for early record releases.
DC and Bmore are not rap cities.
Philly has a variation of Bmore club music. So does Jersey.
NYC doesn't.
Philly also used to play gogo on the radio. NYC did not.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Philly has it's own scene and style, plus NY depended on POP ART for early record releases.
DC and Bmore are not rap cities.
Philly has a variation of Bmore club music. So does Jersey.
NYC doesn't.
Philly also used to play gogo on the radio. NYC did not.

Aight I’ll take your word on that since you aren’t talking from a hip hop viewpoint.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Yea whenever the black accent is displayed on YouTube white New Yorkers be up in there feelings!

I don't get how anyone can be from New York and think there's only one New York accent

Rowdy and Sheff G have strong West Indian twang on top of their NY accents. Sheff G has an alien accent that kinda sound British because that twang is so strong

Rowdy’s actual voice is actually kinda similar to A$AP Ferg’s

Son is Mexican. His father died when he was a teen besides I think I heard that was his stepfather who raised him not his actual father. He’s never shown anyone from that side of his family

And nah Tekashi specifically had a strong NY accent

Still, I doubt he had no connection to his Rican family, and he's from a neighborhood with PR flags all over the place.

Mike_Pipeson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
HTX
give me a line
Don't have a particular one but company's headquarters and CEO is Boston.

I admit my earlier post is a bit untrue. If the worse begins with a "R", such as Room, New Englanders will prounce the R. Same as if the "r" proceeds a consonant such as "fr" in 'from' or "Dr" in 'drive', that too is pronounced.

However, beyond that, New Englanders forget to pronounce the "r" sound and use "aash" or "iuh" sounds.:merchant:

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
The only whites who really had accents were the Italians and Irish. If you go to the few italian areas left there is still an accent in their speech pattern.Russians and Eastern Europeans however do not have that old school accent they sound like regular whiteboys.

The only Hispanics that have a NY accent are Dominicans (heavy), Ricans (heavy) and some Colombians. Mexicans and Central Americans don’t display an NY accent like that. I also never really seen a Mexican here even act like an La Mexican either.

Only NYC Mexican I can think of that has the accent is Tekashi, talking like one of the Onyx members lol.