Are regional accents dying out in the US?

invalid

Banned
Daps

This chick is from Dallas and she doesn't have a notable accent to me. Sounds like a generic American accent

Interesting video. When she's talking regularly you can't really detect a southern accent. You can detect something though.

However, when she starts saying those accent tag words, you can tell she southern. That drawl comes through.

invalid

Banned
Daps
There seems to be a big Jewish influence on the New York accent.
When I lived there back in 2012, everyone sounded Jewish to me, even my cousins.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
I might be the only one but I feel New Orleans and Charleston SC accents are very similar.
Funny that you say that because I seen a video by a gullah geechee dude explaining their slang and it was people in the comments from Louisiana/NO saying they sound similar to them

Ms Ashley

Kind of sound like some of our slang in NewOrleans , this was funny lol

Viral504 News

They sound like Lafayette Louisiana if anything but they use some words the same as New Orleans, this exactly how Creole people talk soon n Laffy tho

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Interesting video. When she's talking regularly you can't really detect a southern accent. You can detect something though.

However, when she starts saying those accent tag words, you can tell she southern. That drawl comes through.

Yeah, I think those words were chosen because they give away regional differences even for people with otherwise neutral accents. I don't have a strong accent but I still pronounce coffee like "cawfee"

Wow first time I’m hearing this. And since you lived here it should be a topic of discussion.

Hmm well IIRC, NYC is 18% Jewish (meaning about half of whites are Jews)

invalid

Banned
Daps
Wow first time I’m hearing this. And since you lived here it should be a topic of discussion.

Did Yiddish Shape the New York Accent?

Why Linguists are Fascinated by the American Jewish Accent

When the largest waves of Jews came to the U.S. between roughly 1880 and 1920, the vast majority were Ashkenazic Jews (read: Eastern European) fleeing the pogroms in what is now Russia, Poland, Lithuania, and Ukraine. These disproportionately settled in New York City; even today, there’s an estimated 2.1 million Jews in the New York City metro area, three and a half times more than the next largest American population (Los Angeles). New York City in fact is home to more Jews than any city in the world besides Tel Aviv.

This behavior transcends regional accents. Benor conducted a study that found that even among those Jews who are not from New York and whose parents are not from New York, Jews are more than twice as likely as non-Jews to use the “Flahrida” pronunciation. It doesn’t stop there: These non-New York Jews will also say “on line” instead of “in line,” and will distinguish between the pronunciation of “Mary” and “merry,” more often than non-Jewish non-New Yorkers. Jews, no matter where they’re from, often sound a little bit New York. It’s not a given—but it’s still a weird, striking thing.

I don't know when I start making associations between Jewish accent and New York accents but apparently it's a thing.
I also hear something of a different accent among wealthier New Yorkers as well.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Did Yiddish Shape the New York Accent?

Why Linguists are Fascinated by the American Jewish Accent

When the largest waves of Jews came to the U.S. between roughly 1880 and 1920, the vast majority were Ashkenazic Jews (read: Eastern European) fleeing the pogroms in what is now Russia, Poland, Lithuania, and Ukraine. These disproportionately settled in New York City; even today, there’s an estimated 2.1 million Jews in the New York City metro area, three and a half times more than the next largest American population (Los Angeles). New York City in fact is home to more Jews than any city in the world besides Tel Aviv.

This behavior transcends regional accents. Benor conducted a study that found that even among those Jews who are not from New York and whose parents are not from New York, Jews are more than twice as likely as non-Jews to use the “Flahrida” pronunciation. It doesn’t stop there: These non-New York Jews will also say “on line” instead of “in line,” and will distinguish between the pronunciation of “Mary” and “merry,” more often than non-Jewish non-New Yorkers. Jews, no matter where they’re from, often sound a little bit New York. It’s not a given—but it’s still a weird, striking thing.

I don't know when I start making associations between Jewish accent and New York accents but apparently it's a thing.
I also hear something of a different accent among wealthier New Yorkers as well.

But you still hear this in AA New Yorkers? Funny thing is black New Yorkers probably don’t even know it.

invalid

Banned
Daps
But you still hear this in AA New Yorkers? Funny thing is black New Yorkers probably don’t even know it.

I hear it among all native new yorkers. Not so much among immigrant groups.
But yes, even my black cousins, from Queens sound Jewish. It's the weirdest thing.

For instance, Charles Range and he's from Harlem. Nikka sounds as if he's about to break out in yiddish.

Or Lawrence Graham.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
I hear it among all native new yorkers. Not so much among immigrant groups.
But yes, even my black cousins, from Queens sound Jewish. It's the weirdest thing.

For instance, Charles Range and he's from Harlem. Nikka sounds as if he's about to break out in yiddish.

Or Lawrence Graham.

Holy shyt the first video is spot on. He sounds like the Jews in my hood and the Jews that were my teachers.

Jewish teachers in NYC public school def got a real authentic NYC accent. I guess they have to because of those rough kids.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Can’t even argue with the Jewish point these are all facts. Good looking @ab.aspectus I never really cared to notice this. I’m too used to the Italian and hood AA NYC accents.

I noticed the italian too. For some reason, I notice the jewish influence more in the New York accent. I notice italian more in people from Jersey.