Are regional accents dying out in the US?

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
People from Philly and NY would know.
Philly people pronounce certain A's like E's.
He did it all through that song.
You're a 2nd gen, get out of this convo.

Doesn’t mean nothing I was actively listening to the Cassidy when he first got on the scene. Not a generation thing at all.

Even @Cave Savage just compared him to another NY rapper.

Meek Mill, Gilly the Kidd and At-AB sound way more Philly than Cassidy in my opinion

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
To an AA from an AA background:
I never heard Cassidy and thought he was from anywhere but Philly.
To a 2nd gen: "He sounds like he's from NY because I'm insulated and don't hear very many AA accents in person, that is my only real life reference frame".
I can sure tell a Montreal, Boston, and Miami Haitian apart...
QUITE EASILY.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Boston, parts of CT, upstate, etc all have pseudo-ny accents...and closer cities like Bmore, Philly, and DC don't because the black culture is too strong/NYers aren't admired.

Has nothing to do with their feelings of NY so why even bring that up lol?

The truth is once you past NJ the southern twang in peoples speech gets stronger and technically speaking Delaware and Maryland are both below the original Mason Dixie line.

It’s really that simple.

Daps
Reppin
Doesn’t mean nothing I was actively listening to the Cassidy when he first got on the scene. Not a generation thing at all.

Even @Cave Savage just compared him to another NY rapper.

Meek Mill, Gilly the Kidd and At-AB sound way more Philly than Cassidy in my opinion
He's white, from NY and Cass is an affiliate of kiss.
Kiss has a low gravelly voice, no hard R in ER words, pronounced rat R-A-T.
Water is pronounced "wooda"
Cass has a high pitched NEYSAL PHULLADULPHIA JAWN, says "WoodER" pronounced R-A-T like R-E-T....among words.
Cass voice, despite being higher, has more of a growl...and yes, he's gonna sound more proper than Meek, he's been in and out of NY for like 20 years + dude went to CENTRAL HIGH + was a dork backpacker Canibus clone. Meek was street and didn't go to central high, was not signed to a NY label, and was influenced by kiss. He wrote for NY nikkas, too. Still don't sound shyt like a NYer to anybody but you and a white dude from NY.
:mjlol:
Kinda like how Azealia Banks sounds whitish/latina sometimes. She went to good schools and hung with hispanics.
It's why Wale and @Stacker Pentecost , Logic, Southeast Slim, and even DJ Kool have different accents despite being in the same metro area...and Cass STILL don't sound like he's from NY.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
"ohio is northern kentucky"
No.
Cinci nikkas have upland Southern Accents.
Columbus brehs sound "West Coast/East Coast"
Cleveland/Akron/YO/Canton
Have a Chicago/PGH mixed accent.
@PapaShango616 where in Ohio did YOU live? Ain't you a Grand Rapids nikka?
Is that a thing?
Where does Ohio typically fall in when it comes to migration sources? Like how Chicago gets linked to Mississippi, Detroit gets linked to Alabama, etc.

Is it mainly border states like Kentucky and West Virginia? Or a good mix of those plus states right below like TN, AL, etc.

Does it vary by the city?

Daps
Reppin
Has nothing to do with their feelings of NY so why even bring that up lol?

The truth is once you past NJ the southern twang in peoples speech gets stronger and technically speaking Delaware and Maryland are both below the original Mason Dixie line.

It’s really that simple.
They rejected NY culture and slang. The original mason dixon line is in SOUTH JERSEY.
YOU ARE A FIRST GEN.
How you gonna tell an 8th or 9th gen AA about his own culture?
I literally lived up and down the Eastern seaboard with family and history in each area.
Breh, I have people from Boston to West Palm, ain't none of em "just get here".
Spent my summers in N.O...lived and hustled in YOUR BOROUGH, upstate, the DMV, Florida, Tx.
You just travel and listen with untuned ears.
You do not hear brehs comparing different immigrant accents, but y'all sure drop yours to pick ours up.
Studying ass nikka go post up on a block and soak it in.

Daps
Reppin
Where does Ohio typically fall in when it comes to migration sources? Like how Chicago gets linked to Mississippi, Detroit gets linked to Alabama, etc.

Is it mainly border states like Kentucky and West Virginia? Or a good mix of those plus states right below like TN, AL, etc.

Does it vary by the city?
Depends on the city.
Cinci people had New Orleans/Texas migration.
Cleveland people came from the Southeast.
Black people started moving to Columbus fairly recently like after the 60s, and the black population didn't pop until the 90s...
People come from everywhere and it's the only city in Ohio with a lot of Africans, Asians, and Mexicans.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
He's white, from NY and Cass is an affiliate of kiss.
Kiss has a low gravelly voice, no hard R in ER words, pronounced rat R-A-T.
Water is pronounced "wooda"
Cass has a high pitched NEYSAL PHULLADULPHIA JAWN, says "WoodER" pronounced R-A-T like R-E-T....among words.
Cass voice, despite being higher, has more of a growl...and yes, he's gonna sound more proper than Meek, he's been in and out of NY for like 20 years + dude went to CENTRAL HIGH + was a dork backpacker Canibus clone. Meek was street and didn't go to central high, was not signed to a NY label, and was influenced by kiss. He wrote for NY nikkas, too. Still don't sound shyt like a NYer to anybody but you and a white dude from NY.
Kinda like how Azealia Banks sounds whitish/latina sometimes. She went to good schools and hung with hispanics.
It's why Wale and @Stacker Pentecost , Logic, Southeast Slim, and even DJ Kool have different accents despite being in the same metro area...and Cass STILL don't sound like he's from NY.

I’m not even talking about the exact words B. I’m just talking about sound. Without even dissecting his word usage when I first heard Cassidy his accent sounded very high pitch and aggressive like a New Yorker. The same thing with Reed Dollaz.

But you pretty much explained why I might have had that thinking.

Daps
Reppin
I’m not even talking about the exact words B. I’m just talking about sound. Without even dissecting his word usage when I first heard Cassidy his accent sounded very high pitch and aggressive like a New Yorker. The same thing with Reed Dollaz.

But you pretty much explained why I might have had that thinking.
Oh yeah that's their flow. They listened and they watched...and LISTENED TO THE LOX.