Are regional accents dying out in the US?

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Yeah there are still accents but I think the differences are becoming less pronounced. Think of the younger native whites you've met in NYC, do any of them have that exaggerated mafioso type accent that New Yorkers are stereotyped as having? Plus there are a lot of Latinos and Asians that don't ave anything resembling a "classic" NYC accent. Many of the NY born Mexicans, Ecuadorians, and Colombians totally sound like they could be from LA.

I think many Latinos in flyover areas copy slang from hip hop and black social media lol.
I know a chick from mastic beach that sounds like the rza. :rudy:

Hell if anything, I see people in rural areas laying on southern accents for no reason. :manny:

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
Talk with people all over the country as a claims asjuster, accents are still very much a thing. As is demeanor and culture.

South Carolina and Louisiana barely speak English. Nikkas give no fukks too.

Minnesota cacs sound ridiculous, complete with the long O sound. Just stop it.

Chicago Cacs have a whiny nasally voice, wanna punch the shyt out of them.

Ohio is just Northern Kentucky. People generally dumb as fukk.

New Yorkers won't do anything you ask them to do outside their borough, you can tell whether they cacs, blacks or Hispanics they never left they borough or hood so their accents and demeanor reflects that.

Its the water. :russ:

In my geechee accent. "We fool up"

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
The use of breh is changing regional accents.

Collective slang changes regional accents.

If whoever is hot at the time sounds like this, the internet allows kids to study and mimic idols which reshapes the accents for various region s

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
my cousins down south said i sound like a west coast crip without the crip lingo. They laugh when I say water or paper cause my ER is so hard and proper. :mjcry:
:russ:
I feel like the proper thing gets more pronounced the younger the generation. Definitely not as much with older folks.

To keep it real AA accents as a whole have slowly been getting more “proper” since emancipation, even in a lot of the South, especially in urban areas. The Great Migration, the current reverse migration, and desegregation have sped up that process even more.

cjlaw93

(Black) American
Daps
I can tell if somebody is from
Charleston
Savannah
Atlanta
NO
Memphis
Miami
BR
Very easily

Also
NYC
B More
Philly
DC

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I've notice from a lot of these vids and rappers. That young kids from mainly Flatbush. Seem to have a very distinct tone, it's almost as if, straight up English was not the first language they learned.
Rowdy and Sheff G have strong West Indian twang on top of their NY accents. Sheff G has an alien accent that kinda sound British because that twang is so strong

Rowdy’s actual voice is actually kinda similar to A$AP Ferg’s
Re: Tekashi69's accent ; don't Puerto Ricans talk like that throughout the country? Especially Philly and New England

It's still weird to me that he doesn't claim PR, though. I wonder if he goes hard for Mexico for marketing reasons
Son is Mexican. His father died when he was a teen besides I think I heard that was his stepfather who raised him not his actual father. He’s never shown anyone from that side of his family

And nah Tekashi specifically had a strong NY accent

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Same thing with New York. Black and white New Yorkers don't sound anything alike. I hear the same is true of Baltimore.

I would post a Vocaroo but I'm not tryna get clowned right now :heh:

Yea whenever the black accent is displayed on YouTube white New Yorkers be up in there feelings!

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
He did to me. Play “I’m a hustla” track anywhere outside the Northeast and censor Cassidy’s rep of Philly and I bet people wouldn’t recognize an obvious difference.
People from Philly and NY would know.
Philly people pronounce certain A's like E's.
He did it all through that song.
You're a 2nd gen, get out of this convo.