Anyone has a racing rig/setup?

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
btw you absolutely don’t need to overspend to get a decent rig…I just have the time to kind of justify it so I’m saying fukk it…the two main pieces of advice I’d share is to get a racing wheel/base that offers some force feedback (FFB) and get a wheel stand at a minimum that does NOT have a bar in the middle that impedes braking

I was worried that this would be something I’d buy and then just chuck in the corner and get bored with it but it has really opened me up to racing games and I’m surprised by how many hours I can lose track of while racing/driving around

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

just bought a monitor attachment/monitor for my rig and I feel like I’m done spending money on this shyt for the next year at least…but once I play thru these games if I find myself wanting more, I think the next step will be to finally get into PC racing and take it to that next level (triple monitors, motion platform, etc.)

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
just bought a monitor attachment/monitor for my rig and I feel like I’m done spending money on this shyt for the next year at least…but once I play thru these games if I find myself wanting more, I think the next step will be to finally get into PC racing and take it to that next level (triple monitors, motion platform, etc.)

That VR looks crazy, especially once they get the graphics dialed in

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
update coming soon…

I started off with this…

next_level_racing_nlr_s007_racing_wheel_stand_lite_1373910.jpg

…then added this…

large-challengerseat2.jpg

…then after about a month I upgraded to this…

49341815722_017437a671_o.jpg

…and added a trak racer recliner seat with brackets, and a single screen mount along with a gigabyte curved monitor (27”)…will point out the differences between the rigs in the next post

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the 2 biggest differences is rigidity and that pole not interfering with me hitting the gas/brakes…the simlab rig allows for much more customization to the point that it’s as comfortable as sitting in the driver’s seat of a real car and is sturdy as such…I watched a lot of youtube videos and thought folks were being pretentious when they spoke about flex…I didn’t notice it when I had the next level rig cuz I had nothing to compare it to…but using the 2nd rig, I now realize that the first rig did move some while using the wheel base…it is still very sturdy just not as sturdy as the simlab rig which doesn’t budge at all…and of course I can drive naturally now that my right leg isn’t obstructed by the pole so I can drive/brake how I normally do

I’m still using a thrustmaster wheel/pedals/shifter…I haven’t received all my fanatec gear yet but I’ll be fully migrated to their ecosystem by the start of next month…I’ll do a comparison then as well…I’ll have to sell the next level rig at some point since I’ll no longer be using it

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
current game lineup:

PS4/PS5

project cars 1 & 2
gran turismo sport & 7 (upcoming)

X1X/XSX

forza horizon 2-5
forza motorsport 5-7
F1 2020
grid
midnight club LA
NFS heat

grid legends is dropping at the end of next month…wasn’t on my radar but I’ll look out for it and probably wait for a discount if reviews are solid…forza motorsport is doing a reboot but no word on an ETA…not even so much as a release year lol

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
current game lineup:

PS4/PS5

project cars 1 & 2
gran turismo sport & 7 (upcoming)

X1X/XSX

forza horizon 2-5
forza motorsport 5-7
F1 2020
grid
midnight club LA
NFS heat

grid legends is dropping at the end of next month…wasn’t on my radar but I’ll look out for it and probably wait for a discount if reviews are solid…forza motorsport is doing a reboot but no word on an ETA…not even so much as a release year lol
what wheel u got that works with both Sony and MS systems?

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
right now I have a thrustmaster ts-xw but it’s only compatible with xbox so I upgraded to the fanatec GT DD pro…it’s designed for the playstation but I can use the wheelbase with xbox as long as I use a different wheel…so I got a leather forza wheel…I didn’t like the wheel it came with so I also bought a suede BMW wheel for the playstation…and I’m using a TR1 simlab rig…I also bought a shifter and sturdier pedals…all wheels have shifter “plates” behind them but I like the realism of having an actual shifter on my right side

from what I’ve heard fanatec is the top of the line for console sim racing…I’m looking forward to putting it to the test…they offer more wheel varieties and their DD wheelbases provide more of a realistic force feedback experience from what I’ve read/heard due to its design

this vid is why I’m excited about getting the fanatec DD wheelbase vs the thrustmaster one I have…he addresses something I suspected and that’s that non-DD wheelbases overcompensate for their design with exaggerated/unnecessary force feedback whereas a DD wheelbase offers a more authentic/smoother experience…my gear will be the same except for the wheelbase as fanatec now offers a true direct drive wheelbase…OT but his 370Z is sick

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
this vid is why I’m excited about getting the fanatec DD wheelbase vs the thrustmaster one I have…he addresses something I suspected and that’s that non-DD wheelbases overcompensate for their design with exaggerated/unnecessary force feedback whereas a DD wheelbase offers a more authentic/smoother experience…my gear will be the same except for the wheelbase as fanatec now offers a true direct drive wheelbase…OT but his 370Z is sick

So Thrustmaster wheel (which model)
And Fanatec Seat (model?)

:lupe:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So Thrustmaster wheel (which model)
And Fanatec Seat (model?)

:lupe:

I wouldn’t bother with a thrustmaster

I would start off with the fanatec GT DD pro setup I linked in the other thread…will work out the box immediately with the PS5/GT 7 and you can use the wheelbase with a separate wheel that’s xbox compatible if you eventually want to use it to play forza

Gran Turismo DD Pro

as for a seat you have several options depending on the rig you’re getting

the 3 basic things you absolutely need to get started are a wheel, wheelbase, and pedals…and some ppl are content mounting it on a desk and using an office chair…the link above offers you the best initial setup at the best price imo and it comes with one of only 2 wheelbases on the market that work with both playstation and xbox for $700 (and includes a wheel and very good pedals)…the other one (also from fanatec) costs $1800 and that’s just for the wheelbase and wheel :francis:

Last edited: