Anyone has a racing rig/setup?

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I use the FGT Lite with a G29 wheel/pedal combo. Its not expensive and works pretty well for Assetto Corsa and F1 2021.

I'm fairly quick at the latter(top 10% at a few tracks) but probably don't play enough to be really dangerous.

If I played more I'd definitely upgrade both but I probably won't have tons of time this year.

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
in hindsight if I knew then what I know now, I would’ve gone with the fanatec ecosystem instead of thrustmaster…a lot of fanatec wheel bases are compatible with BOTH xbox and playstation…you would simply just swap the steering wheel out (they are playstation and xbox specific) which is easy to do

Fanatec

If you combine any Xbox-licensed Steering Wheel with any PlayStation-licensed Wheel Base, all connected Fanatec hardware becomes compatible with both Xbox and PlayStation systems. And of course, all combinations work on PC too.

*edit*

wow actually you have some fanatec steering wheels that are compatible with both xbox and playstation

ended up reordering the fanatec GT7 bundle and an xbox compatible wheel that’ll work with the wheel base…gonna return some of these thrustmaster accessories since the return window is still open

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
as I suspected the steering wheel seems pretty cheap/toyish…I can use the xbox wheel with it tho for both systems

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
as I suspected the steering wheel seems pretty cheap/toyish…

for all intents and purposes the DD pro wheel base is part of the CSL series (CSL = club sport light) which is their “mid range” line…so same inner workings but cheaper outer materials hence the cheaper plastic look for the wheel…and as far as I know the better looking wheels are not compatible with this wheel base

*edit*

I stand corrected…the DD pro wheel base is compatible with ALL club sport steering wheels…compatibility isn’t listed on the individual steering wheels’ pages but it’s listed on the DD pro info page…first world crisis averted

:whew:

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so the last piece of the puzzle is a good seat…my first choice was sparco but simlab doesn’t ship seats to the US and the sparcousa site is expensive as shyt…I entertained getting an OMP seat after a bit more research but same issue…after some more digging around I decided to settle on the NRG brand…relatively decent pricing while still being comfortable according to several reddit reviews and they have an array of options even tho I’ll keep it simple and just stick to black…this is a wholesaler’s sight so I gotta find one I like and then find a retailer that carries it and then I’m effing done

SEATS

*edit*

gonna pass and stick with the seat brands featured on simlab’s site and just try to find reputable places in the US that sell them online…watched some reviews and the NRG seats seem pretty low in quality…not to mention all the sites that carry them seem janky as hell even tho some redditors vouch for them

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
ok I see why these seats are expensive when buying from US online distributors…they’re basically having them shipped in from overseas and just charging you for the shipping…doesn’t seem to be any way to skirt these costs…might just pull out a seat from an old car I have…it’ll work too lol

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I used to have an Outrun setup in my mancave

:mjcry:

It died on me this summer.

I sold it to my neighbor. He's an engineer and he says he can fix it.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so the plot thickens…apparently you can build your own rig (just google aluminium extrusion profile 40-series)…looking into it but the only flaw is it will be more “box-like” in design and you would have to take things apart to make personal adjustments if you’re a little bit lazy and keep the design simple…idk if it’ll be cost effective…very interesting tho…and you can just use a blueprint from simlab to decide how many pieces you need, the length, what bolts/screws you need etc…this is definitely something I could do…gonna make a list of materials for fun and see what the final cost would be

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
you can build one using wood too and paint it yourself which would be super easy…I thought about it before but I wouldn’t like the look tho and adjustments would be pretty non-existent

*edit*

he upgraded it lol…shyt is extremely effective and easy to do tho

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
update coming soon…new rig came…put it together but I ordered a seat and brackets from a different company so I’m still waiting for those

*edit*

oh yeah the seat I ended up ordering was a black recliner seat from trak racer

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
my BMW fanatec wheel came yesterday…gonna use it to replace the wheel that comes with their GT7 bundle…“replaced” all the buttons so they’re all black now with dualsense 5 button stickers

Product_thumbnail_BMW_GT2_absolutely.jpg

vkru6lmbu5131.jpg

not my setup although I have the same rig (different seat) but this kind of shows how the wheel looks when you customize the buttons

…the simlab rig with the fanatec accessories (wheels, base, shifter, pedals) altogether ran me about $3k…it would’ve been about $2400 but I bought 2 extra wheels…one for the PS5 and I need one for the XSX (I can use the same base tho for both systems)

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so here’s how I can justify the price…

I don’t mind paying $20 to see/eat at a movie with the average movie providing 100 minutes of entertainment

at the cost I paid for my setup, it would need to provide at least 15000 minutes (250 hours) of entertainment

I have forza horizon 2 (plus the fast and furious add-on) thru 5, forza motorsport 5 thru 7, and gran turismo which provides a minimum of 196 hours of gameplay…and I still have GT7 on the way and there are rumors of a forza motorsport reboot…and yes I intend to play all these games…currently playing forza horizon 2: fast and furious which is supposed to only be a 2.5 hour game and I’ve easily put in 5 hours and am only halfway done as I’m trying to get all achievements…so this rig will end up being worth the cost imo in a year or so as a lot of other games are now taking a backseat (no pun intended) to these racing games…ironically the best part of forza horizon isn’t the racing but just cruising around for a couple hours and testing out the different cars

Last edited: