Anyone a Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter, Mechanic on here? - Official Skilled Trades Thread

knickscity

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Bed-Stuy
I don't have the certifications other than hvac, but it certainly feels great to be able to fix nearly anything wrong in my house when stuff happens. of course if it's under warranty, I'm just gonna make that call and save my hands the exercise.

Negus in Detroit

All Star
Supporter
Daps
:krs: Niccas in here on some hvac aw shyt
my nicca :whoo:them gotdamn theories will have u either stuck like chuck or truly intrigued. I was both for a long while. Shyt is so mf cool and the tools make u elite when get it. Like breh breh said learn that superheat and subcooling, learn how to measure gas pressure by the water column, CHECK AIRFLOW BEFORE U CHECK REFRIGERANT. Get the theory on analog gauges hold off on the digis til after u get it FULLY. EPA cert is good when u get ready to buy your own refrigerants :youngsabo:that’s for later.
Get your NATE cert now :damn:
FIELDPIECE and MILWAUKEE tools nicca ftw :smugdraper: be the best
For my brehs getting into HVAC this post here is straight facts the only thing I have to add is depending on what state you live in especially if you’re in Michigan make sure you get your EPA cert If you don’t have that here don’t even think about trying to get in this trade and whenever you any free time watch YouTube videos there’s some great vids on there and lastly @cheek100

DEWALT > MILWAUKEE :umad:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
yeah instrumentation electricans work with PLC's a lot more than regular electricians actually...

like I have over 10+ years in the game as a regular electrican but have zero knowledge on PLC's.

really depends on the companies you work for tbh... if you work for a company who doesn't deal with them, then obviously you aren't gonna get experience with them.

wish I did know about them tho, a lot of good paying jobs require knowledge on PLC's and programming

I remember someone told me, PLCs are easy to understand, but hard to Master. Where are the places that Instrumentation Technicians work at?

Is the bulk of their work in Water Plants and Chemical Plants, or are there in more places?

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
I only get Sundays off so i gotta use it to the max going to see Shazam in a couple hours.

Just got my email for my endgame tickets too:takedat:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I'm more of a exterior guy with a little residential experience but I'll take a shot...

The neutral in the first light switch should be fed str8 to the light fixture ...the white wire in the other box is most likely a switch leg.

The neutral should be coming from the panel, through the box, to the fixture...

To add another neutral could be "easy" if you are running conduit then you could pull it through. I know older residential have romex type wire that's stapled to the foundation so that could make it tough. Have any pics?

Do you have access to a circuit tracer. That would make checking to see if it's open very easy
Im gonna order a circuit tracer.

Question about the ground wire: When i open a switch box i see 2 neutral wired linked together. I'm assuming one came from the load (light, etc) and one came from the line (breaker box). Is that correct? Because the biox i'm talking about onlyhas 1 which i think only comes from the load side.

When i was wiring that first smart switch i tied its neutral port to that neutral AND ground and it seems to work. Problem is that wont work for the new model im working with.

Maddmike

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im gonna order a circuit tracer.

Question about the ground wire: When i open a switch box i see 2 neutral wired linked together. I'm assuming one came from the load (light, etc) and one came from the line (breaker box). Is that correct? Because the biox i'm talking about onlyhas 1 which i think only comes from the load side.

When i was wiring that first smart switch i tied its neutral port to that neutral AND ground and it seems to work. Problem is that wont work for the new model im working with.

Ahh ok I get you...No, do not bond the ground and the neutral. The neutral wire can potentially carry return voltage and that will make your ground hot which in turn can make your boxes hot....

Unhook the ground and just tie the neutral to the switch. If it works your neutral is good. The other wire in the second box is obviously not a neutral wire but you should find out where that wire goes with the circuit tracer. It may just be unused and need to be connected to a neutral in a junction box down the line. (If that makes sense)

MF budz

All Star
Daps
Yo my electricians brehs. How was the application process? I’m think about applying to this trade school around Toledo( I live in Michigan close to the border) also I only have a GED and it says that you need a credit for algebra. Would I have to go to a CC or will the GED which covered some basic Algebra be fine. Or is there a way to get in with a company that will pay for trade school? Like a DTE etc

MF budz

All Star
Daps
Also do we have any linemen here? ANy difference between that and indoor commercial?