Anyone a Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter, Mechanic on here? - Official Skilled Trades Thread

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps
I knew NOTHING about electricity before joining the trade.

Keep you head up. You can do this. The skill and knowledge will come.
Word good look bruh.. but I ain’t no quitter imma get it with time.. already learning how to read the power and lighting schedules.. shyt was like a foreign language when I first seen it

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Word good look bruh.. but I ain’t no quitter imma get it with time.. already learning how to read the power and lighting schedules.. shyt was like a foreign language when I first seen it
Do you do your own research when you get home? I think that’s what separates the ones who want it and don’t want it. I went damn there a year just watching random YouTube videos related to my trade every single day after work until I finally got it. Just my two cents.

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps
Do you do your own research when you get home? I think that’s what separates the ones who want it and don’t want it. I went damn there a year just watching random YouTube videos related to my trade every single day after work until I finally got it. Just my two cents.
Yeah I do lol I hate when I don’t automatically pick something up so i ask a lot of questions and try to learn as much as possible

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps

If there is no school or program to learn and get your J card, then this is the best alternative.

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
Somebody at your contractor should have all the information needed for you as a far as the OSHA 10/30 and its basically you just sitting through the class for that amount of time ( 10 or 30 hours ). The test is a gimme, shyt easy and they basically give you the answers. Have never in my life heard of someone failing an osha and some of the mfs I work with might as well be brain dead...

You already on the right track with the electrician shyt for HVAC because thatll be 90% of your problems if youre going into the service side. If youre just doing Installation / start up you just have to know basic principles.

For a start get real familiar with superheat and subcooling on the AC. On the electrical side get real familiar with testing and know what to look for with voltages, amp draws, resistances etc...

You about to be buyin a lot of tools but get a good fluke multimeter and a good set of HI/Low pressure gauges

So the OSHA cert is fugazi? :patrice:

How much of a difference does it potentially make in earnings when negotiating a salary, vs. not having it ?

I was told in prison multiple times the 30 costs like $1200 to take. True or nah? Thanks for the input too

:krs: Niccas in here on some hvac aw shyt
my nicca :whoo:them gotdamn theories will have u either stuck like chuck or truly intrigued. I was both for a long while. Shyt is so mf cool and the tools make u elite when get it. Like breh breh said learn that superheat and subcooling, learn how to measure gas pressure by the water column, CHECK AIRFLOW BEFORE U CHECK REFRIGERANT. Get the theory on analog gauges hold off on the digis til after u get it FULLY. EPA cert is good when u get ready to buy your own refrigerants :youngsabo:that’s for later.
Get your NATE cert now :damn:
FIELDPIECE and MILWAUKEE tools nicca ftw :smugdraper: be the best

I'll Google it myself but lmk what the benefits / purposes for being NATE certified are if u can b. I'm good on superheat/subcooling/w c. and manifolds already though but I'm def gonna tighten up on it

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Im an electrician. been doing it 15 years

In my last week training for a apprentice electrician.

:blessed:

About to be living that trade life for real got interviews ready.

Bending conduit and doing mechanical twist is hard work.

And if you fuvck shyt up you can blow off limbs....:merchant:

@Stoop Kid

electrician 100%...

my friends who are plumbers wish they were electricians
Quoting ya'll because im gonna have a question about something. Basically i have some 3-way switches in my house and i understand how the circuitry part works (I was an EE major).

600px-3-way_switches_position_2.svg.png

Butt my problem is with the neutral wires in one of the 3way circuits. One of the switch box has a neutral. The other one doesnt seem to have it. There is a white wire in there but doesnt seem to work as a neutral. What i wanna know is how would I troubleshoot if the neutral is working? Where should it co back to? Should there be a neutral coming from both the breaker box (line) and the load (light)? Push comes to shove is it easy to add a neutral?

cheek100

Truuu
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I'll Google it myself but lmk what the benefits / purposes for being NATE certified are if u can b. I'm good on superheat/subcooling/w c. and manifolds already though but I'm def gonna tighten up on it
nate is for when u get into service which is where the money and freedom is. It’s the only national cert that’s recognized for hvac techs. U can study online and take any of the tests at an accredited instructor (not expensive). It’s good to have early so when u want to move around u won’t have to explain yourself. Most importantly, it proves that ur responsible enough to nurture a licensure (which most old guys won’t do). U can get nate certs for ac, gas furnace, boilers etc.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I don't know much about instrumentation.. never did it in my trade.

all I know is I wish I did, they get paid a lot more and are more sought after.

I think it's just extra study, a bit more than being a regular electrician. my friend is dumb as shyt and he's got it, so it can't be that much harder

Nice. That's my goal. Does Instrumentation work with PLC's like Electricians do?

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

moniemane

Pro
Supporter
Daps
I used to drive Class A tanker trucks and deliver water to water plants, and petroleum to refineries. Would that help me be a shoe in? lol
Wastewater Courses read the first three books learn them well take the exam in your state the intro or trainee exam it show s you are serious and doing things on your own ...the test is around 200-300 a pop just to let you know ...but you can always tell them you are interested.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Wastewater Courses read the first three books learn them well take the exam in your state the intro or trainee exam it show s you are serious and doing things on your own ...the test is around 200-300 a pop just to let you know ...but you can always tell them you are interested.

Oh ok. Do you know about Instrumentation Technicians who work at Water Plants?

moniemane

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Oh ok. Do you know about Instrumentation Technicians who work at Water Plants?
Yea if you have the required degree or certification apply. Electronics or instrumentation. 2 year degree. I haveva electronic degree but i hate the field.

Maddmike

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Quoting ya'll because im gonna have a question about something. Basically i have some 3-way switches in my house and i understand how the circuitry part works (I was an EE major).

600px-3-way_switches_position_2.svg.png

Butt my problem is with the neutral wires in one of the 3way circuits. One of the switch box has a neutral. The other one doesnt seem to have it. There is a white wire in there but doesnt seem to work as a neutral. What i wanna know is how would I troubleshoot if the neutral is working? Where should it co back to? Should there be a neutral coming from both the breaker box (line) and the load (light)? Push comes to shove is it easy to add a neutral?

I'm more of a exterior guy with a little residential experience but I'll take a shot...

The neutral in the first light switch should be fed str8 to the light fixture ...the white wire in the other box is most likely a switch leg.

The neutral should be coming from the panel, through the box, to the fixture...

To add another neutral could be "easy" if you are running conduit then you could pull it through. I know older residential have romex type wire that's stapled to the foundation so that could make it tough. Have any pics?

Do you have access to a circuit tracer. That would make checking to see if it's open very easy

Last edited: