Anyone a Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter, Mechanic on here? - Official Skilled Trades Thread

A.V.

reTIreMEnt: THE ALBUM (01/22) ALL DSPs
Daps
Reppin
#AnyCityGang
Just finished a two year bid in New Jersey yesterday, enrolled in and completed two on site HVAC and Residential Electric courses there that are nationally accredited (the credits for class time and OJT can be applied to a US DOL Apprenticeship program), so as of now I have 2 years worth of HVAC credits, and one year of Electrician.

I know all contractors won't honor it and I may have to still start from scratch if I have to which I don't mind. I plan on getting my 30-hour OSHA certification ASAP to increase my immediate earning potential. I currently also am Forklift certified for Class 4 lift trucks. And EPA certified for HVAC. Have a job on deck in DC/MD/Northern VA for a reputable contractor who also does work on State and Federal projects.

I've never worked a trade a day in my life before the prison bid, although I'm prepared and looking forward to the challenges it poses. I'm in love with the theory and scientific principles involved in HVAC, and only took the Electrician class to supplement my HVAC career.

Any advice would be appreciated, brehs.

And if any of you have knowledge on the OSHA certification test / process / prices, put me on game. Salute

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
OSHA certifications so far for me have been pretty easy.

At my school they had OSHA folks come tech us and take the test for OSHA 10.

Not too sure about doing it on your own without school.

Someone will clear it up for you soon.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Just finished a two year bid in New Jersey yesterday, enrolled in and completed two on site HVAC and Residential Electric courses there that are nationally accredited (the credits for class time and OJT can be applied to a US DOL Apprenticeship program), so as of now I have 2 years worth of HVAC credits, and one year of Electrician.

I know all contractors won't honor it and I may have to still start from scratch if I have to which I don't mind. I plan on getting my 30-hour OSHA certification ASAP to increase my immediate earning potential. I currently also am Forklift certified for Class 4 lift trucks. And EPA certified for HVAC. Have a job on deck in DC/MD/Northern VA for a reputable contractor who also does work on State and Federal projects.

I've never worked a trade a day in my life before the prison bid, although I'm prepared and looking forward to the challenges it poses. I'm in love with the theory and scientific principles involved in HVAC, and only took the Electrician class to supplement my HVAC career.

And if any of you have knowledge on the OSHA certification test / process / prices, put me on game. Salute

Somebody at your contractor should have all the information needed for you as a far as the OSHA 10/30 and its basically you just sitting through the class for that amount of time ( 10 or 30 hours ). The test is a gimme, shyt easy and they basically give you the answers. Have never in my life heard of someone failing an osha and some of the mfs I work with might as well be brain dead...

You already on the right track with the electrician shyt for HVAC because thatll be 90% of your problems if youre going into the service side. If youre just doing Installation / start up you just have to know basic principles.

For a start get real familiar with superheat and subcooling on the AC. On the electrical side get real familiar with testing and know what to look for with voltages, amp draws, resistances etc...

You about to be buyin a lot of tools but get a good fluke multimeter and a good set of HI/Low pressure gauges

flea

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Did you have a general grasp of it before you started the apprenticeship? Do you think one could go into it blind from scratch?
Absolutely. I didn’t even know how to cut a key when I started. And that’s barely scratching the surface. But be careful. A lot of locksmith job offers are just teaching you how to open doors and cars but there’s way more to it than just doing that. I’m a Locksmith but I can also build a house from learning from the company I work for. We do everything

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
Somebody at your contractor should have all the information needed for you as a far as the OSHA 10/30 and its basically you just sitting through the class for that amount of time ( 10 or 30 hours ). The test is a gimme, shyt easy and they basically give you the answers. Have never in my life heard of someone failing an osha and some of the mfs I work with might as well be brain dead...

You already on the right track with the electrician shyt for HVAC because thatll be 90% of your problems if youre going into the service side. If youre just doing Installation / start up you just have to know basic principles.

For a start get real familiar with superheat and subcooling on the AC. On the electrical side get real familiar with testing and know what to look for with voltages, amp draws, resistances etc...

You about to be buyin a lot of tools but get a good fluke multimeter and a good set of HI/Low pressure gauges

You aint lying I got to Home Depot every single week for tools.

Its adding up but worth it.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps

+1 on the Fluke tools. I got a few of their products. They're expensive, but worth their weight in gold. FWIW I've gotten all of mine used off ebay at a considerably cheaper price and they're all still kicking hard to this day.

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:wow: Preciate that feedback
Absolutely. I didn’t even know how to cut a key when I started. And that’s barely scratching the surface. But be careful. A lot of locksmith job offers are just teaching you how to open doors and cars but there’s way more to it than just doing that. I’m a Locksmith but I can also build a house from learning from the company I work for. We do everything

cheek100

Truuu
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
:krs: Niccas in here on some hvac aw shyt

my nicca :whoo:them gotdamn theories will have u either stuck like chuck or truly intrigued. I was both for a long while. Shyt is so mf cool and the tools make u elite when get it. Like breh breh said learn that superheat and subcooling, learn how to measure gas pressure by the water column, CHECK AIRFLOW BEFORE U CHECK REFRIGERANT. Get the theory on analog gauges hold off on the digis til after u get it FULLY. EPA cert is good when u get ready to buy your own refrigerants :youngsabo:that’s for later.
Get your NATE cert now :damn:
FIELDPIECE and MILWAUKEE tools nicca ftw :smugdraper: be the best

Last edited:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
The school i work for is about to pay to get me hvac certified, mainly so i can handle refrigerant.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
You aint lying I got to Home Depot every single week for tools.

Its adding up but worth it.

I got a work truck full of tools I had to buy, got my shyt on live camera and everything at the crib because mfs know whats in these trucks and try to steal em all the time.

Cats have gotten their shyt jacked out of paid parking lots in downtown Chicago :mjlol:

I said that to say buy em and protect em, these hypes know tools hold their value

+1 on the Fluke tools. I got a few of their products. They're expensive, but worth their weight in gold. FWIW I've gotten all of mine used off ebay at a considerably cheaper price and they're all still kicking hard to this day.

I work with dudes whove had their fluke meters for a decade or two plus with no issues. Low key a good multimeter should be in everybodys house. I use them shyts a lot of things inside and out of work

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
I got a work truck full of tools I had to buy, got my shyt on live camera and everything at the crib because mfs know whats in these trucks and try to steal em all the time.

Cats have gotten their shyt jacked out of paid parking lots in downtown Chicago :mjlol:

I said that to say buy em and protect em, these hypes know tools hold their value

I work with dudes whove had their fluke meters for a decade or two plus with no issues. Low key a good multimeter should be in everybodys house. I use them shyts a lot of things inside and out of work

Oh yeah I need to stop leaving them in my car I put my tools in the gangbox during the week.

I need a chest but I drive a sedan.

Need a truck.