Another wave of layoffs at playstation

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Digital sales and subscription models is the corner industry leaders painted themselves into.
Now they're scrambling. Their vocal concern is becoming more and more public.
I'm referring to the market of digital and streaming content as a whole.
How many subscriptions did these dummies really think a single household could sustain.

Did they really think the majority of consumers were going to consistently have all:
Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, Paramount Plus, The Fortnite Battle Pass, The Call of Duty Battle Pass, buy extra cosmetic items, monthly internet bill, Apple Music, YouTube Premium (or whatever they call it).
It's clear the cost to maintain these libraries of content consistently is draining them financially while at the same time, consumers not having the money to spend across all of these platforms at once on a sustainable basis.

I really don't know what the solution is.
What I do suspect is that we're on the verge of seeing some of these streaming giants disappear.

Back to Sony, I do think it has to do with the digital and subscription games conversation because what I'm saying is; The digital subscription market is a VERY expensive market to play in. We're seeing that across the board with all content platforms. Sony doesn't have the money to keep burning left and right so of course we're going to hear more about projections being corrected downwards and focus shifting. They aren't the only ones doing it.

I actually agree, i think this subscription and digital content drive is a race to the bottom. We see it playing out everywhere else, I’ve also been echoing this sentiment. People keep demanding for sony to compete with gamepass and now that they’ve started adding bigger games to the service the prices are starting to skyrocket. People don’t want to pay more money for all these games, just like people don’t want to pay for all these c grade marvel and Star Wars shows on disney.

Let’s not even talk about the music industry…. These companies chasing this trend are gonna end up in trouble. I’m glad sony is at least not completely jumping head first into it like the competition

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You are splitting hairs over nonsense. It’s not like they are 1 or 2 games behind. They are like 6-8 behind with seemingly nothing even nearly coming out.

They aren’t that far behind, theres three out next year (Helldivers 2, MLB 24, Concord) and probably 3 out in 2025, which aligns with that chart

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You are splitting hairs over nonsense. It’s not like they are 1 or 2 games behind. They are like 6-8 behind with seemingly nothing even nearly coming out.
Nonsense? Saying they gotta release something by 2024 and being off by another 2 years and change is significant. March 2026 is still 2 and almost a half years away.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Maybe we're watching a pandemic bubble burst market wide.
A lot of people had more time to game for almost 2 years. People were staying in.
I'd imagine GAAS had a field day during the pandemic.
Now people are back to work in a crazy economy and a lot of people are cutting spending left and right to stay afloat.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Nonsense? Saying they gotta release something by 2024 and being off by another 2 years and change is significant. March 2026 is still 2 and almost a half years away.
I’m not off by a year and change it says FY 2024 even if that ends in 2025 they got zero fukkin games now.

You think They gone release 10 games that aren’t even announced yet in the next 20 months?? :comeon:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
They aren’t that far behind, theres three out next year (Helldivers 2, MLB 24, Concord) and probably 3 out in 2025, which aligns with that chart

Am I misunderstanding that chart then?
Because saying you're going to release 10 and only releasing 1 with 3 or 4 on the way is still a far miss from the projected 10.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Maybe we're watching a pandemic bubble burst market wide.
A lot of people had more time to game for almost 2 years. People were staying in.
I'd imagine GAAS had a field day during the pandemic.
Now people are back to work in a crazy economy and a lot of people are cutting spending left and right to stay afloat.

Thats 100% what it is, MAU were way up during the pandemic and it greatly inflated the numbers. Live Service and subscriptions have been flat for like two years now and its not growing.

The “core”gaming market that has stuck around post-pandemic boom are back to just buying full priced games again, which is why stuff like spider-man, mario, Zelda, hogwarts, COD, etc. are going to clear 15m copies this year or by early next year again.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Am I misunderstanding that chart then?
Because saying you're going to release 10 and only releasing 1 with 3 or 4 on the way is still a far miss from the projected 10.

By FY 2026 (March 2025) which is where that chart extends to they will have about 7 out.

And yes, game delays aren’t a new thing, look at the Bethesda leaks and their game time tables that just came out, everything is about 3-5 years off

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Thats 100% what it is, MAU were way up during the pandemic and it greatly inflated the numbers. Live Service and subscriptions have been flat for like two years now and its not growing.

The “core”gaming market that has stuck around post-pandemic boom are back to just buying full priced games again, which is why stuff like spider-man, mario, Zelda, hogwarts, COD, etc. are going to clear 15m copies this year or by early next year again.

Makes sense to me

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
By FY 2026 (March 2025) which is where that chart extends to they will have about 7 out.

And yes, game delays aren’t a new thing, look at the Bethesda leaks and their game time tables that just came out, everything is about 3-5 years off
7 ain't 10 and at this rate given the announcements I don't see how they would hit those numbers this late into their own timeline.
I mean, GAAS don't matter to me and I think they are doing way more damage than good, but I'm just strictly talking about understanding a graph properly.