Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They don’t need to be going to companies like Square Enix to do this. They should be out there looking for the next Naughty Dog or Insomniac. A partner they can bring up and possibly bring into the fold by purchasing.

And this has always been the way sony approached adding companies to their roster

We have a number of ways of looking at this," Lempel said, adding that "in terms of great content, that's where we're focused."

"We've done more M&A [mergers and acquisitions] in the past decade than we've ever done," he said. "We're always looking to work with new partners, whether that's somebody as an external provider … or working with a developer along with the way and then acquiring them later."

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
But they never even dropped the games:dwillhuh:
What games didn't they drop? The live service games?
If that's the case it still part of the point I'm making.

Bro, I've been yelling "The sky is falling" about a digital only and subscription based future for a minute.
You let me tell it, I'm gonna tell you that Sony has been burning money recklessly for far too long. I'm actually surprised this sort of news like what you're referencing is just now getting more mainstream attention. I've been warning people about Sony's spending and overall goofy business decisions since the whole Gaikai fiasco. I'm a Stan of Sony video games and the console itself but I'm not blind to the objective decisions they've made being questionable.
We're seeing more and more companies starting become vocal with their concern about the sustainability of the current digital subscription model.
The economy, the pandemic, yada yada. Bottom line, these companies are burning through cash at rates that are alarming. This applies to Sony and MS and a bunch of streaming platforms. All of them are pivoting to one degree or another.

I made that thread about Xbox becoming the Playstation everyone wanted (or something like that, I forget the exact title) because of the fact that MS has been seemingly trying to play the "long game" while Sony seems to be complacent.

I'm not in the "Sony is doomed" camp like some of the XBOX Stans want to troll.
Sony is straight...for now...if they hurry up and wake up.
The overall digital content market (music, video games, movies) is at a serious cross roads.

To me, all of this is part of a much larger conversation than just any one video game developer.
It doesn't help that there is no set value to the "value of a stream".
Costs continue to increase but without a physical product to tie to that effort, we're left in the Wild West of companies screwing people left and right in some form or another.

Like I said, this really is a time that I hope people are really studying what is happening to the market overall. It's very interesting.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
What games didn't they drop? The live service games?
If that's the case it still part of the point I'm making.

Bro, I've been yelling "The sky is falling" about a digital only and subscription based future for a minute.
You let me tell it, I'm gonna tell you that Sony has been burning money recklessly for far too long. I'm actually surprised this sort of news like what you're referencing is just now getting more mainstream attention. I've been warning people about Sony's spending and overall goofy business decisions since the whole Gaikai fiasco. I'm a Stan of Sony video games and the console itself but I'm not blind to the objective decisions they've made being questionable.
We're seeing more and more companies starting become vocal with their concern about the sustainability of the current digital subscription model.
The economy, the pandemic, yada yada. Bottom line, these companies are burning through cash at rates that are alarming. This applies to Sony and MS and a bunch of streaming platforms. All of them are pivoting to one degree or another.

I made that thread about Xbox becoming the Playstation everyone wanted (or something like that, I forget the exact title) because of the fact that MS has been seemingly trying to play the "long game" while Sony seems to be complacent.

I'm not in the "Sony is doomed" camp like some of the XBOX Stans want to troll.
Sony is straight...for now...if they hurry up and wake up.
The overall digital content market (music, video games, movies) is at a serious cross roads.

To me, all of this is part of a much larger conversation than just any one video game developer.
It doesn't help that there is no set value to the "value of a stream".
Costs continue to increase but without a physical product to tie to that effort, we're left in the Wild West of companies screwing people left and right in some form or another.

Like I said, this really is a time that I hope people are really studying what is happening to the market overall. It's very interesting.
But it doesn’t have anything to do with digital or subscription games.

Games are costing more and more money, while sales are stagnant cause the market is not growing. Sony sites game sales being down and costs being up for their problems.

They had planned to have 10 service games out by 2024 and they have Zero right now.

Digital sales, services and subscriptions are the things keeping the industry gojng right now.

If they were still just reliant on boxed game sales the industry would have died a long time ago.

Sony isn’t “doomed” but the landscape is changing and the things they are best at aren’t bringing in the money like they need to.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

3982526-screenshot2022-05-27at12.30.00am.png

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
But it doesn’t have anything to do with digital or subscription games.

Games are costing more and more money, while sales are stagnant cause the market is not growing. Sony sites game sales being down and costs being up for their problems.

They had planned to have 10 service games out by 2024 and they have Zero right now.

Digital sales, services and subscriptions are the things keeping the industry gojng right now.

If they were still just reliant on boxed game sales the industry would have died a long time ago.

Sony isn’t “doomed” but the landscape is changing and the things they are best at aren’t bringing in the money like they need to.
Digital sales and subscription models is the corner industry leaders painted themselves into.
Now they're scrambling. Their vocal concern is becoming more and more public.
I'm referring to the market of digital and streaming content as a whole.
How many subscriptions did these dummies really think a single household could sustain.

Did they really think the majority of consumers were going to consistently have all:
Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, Paramount Plus, The Fortnite Battle Pass, The Call of Duty Battle Pass, buy extra cosmetic items, monthly internet bill, Apple Music, YouTube Premium (or whatever they call it).
It's clear the cost to maintain these libraries of content consistently is draining them financially while at the same time, consumers not having the money to spend across all of these platforms at once on a sustainable basis.

I really don't know what the solution is.
What I do suspect is that we're on the verge of seeing some of these streaming giants disappear.

Back to Sony, I do think it has to do with the digital and subscription games conversation because what I'm saying is; The digital subscription market is a VERY expensive market to play in. We're seeing that across the board with all content platforms. Sony doesn't have the money to keep burning left and right so of course we're going to hear more about projections being corrected downwards and focus shifting. They aren't the only ones doing it.