Another wave of layoffs at playstation

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Real talk, what are these money hats that Sony paid for. Outside of square Enix games I can’t think of too many that would/have moved the needle.

Issue seems to be the GAAS pivot and AAA games which is a problem across the board
They're taking losses on ps5s, that's the actual issue. They're taking hardware losses trying to offset them with software like it's still 2010. It's why Microsoft doesn't care if you move to pc because hardware is so fukking expensive to manufacture. Selling 100mm ps5s doesn't mean the same as it did a 5 years ago.. let alone a decade ago, the profit margins on hardware is way less than it used to be. They're taking discounts to try to meet revenue targets. When you sell hardware you have to hope your attachment rate offsets the sells, unfortunate part is more gamers are service gamers so it's no longer black and white 2 copies offset hardware loss etc.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Various inquiries were made by the ones involved in the interview, but one stood out: his comment on the recent Microsoft acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

“When you look at the $69 billion for Activision compared to $3.6 billion for Bungie, we believe that Bungie can give us way more than a $69 billion acquisition of Activision,” Ryan said. “And that’s before considering the relative value of that particular transaction.”

:sas1:

That man got the same treatment as Bonnie Ross. The retirement was a nice way to ship him off after realizing the GAAS push was an error.
:wow:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Real talk, what are these money hats that Sony paid for. Outside of square Enix games I can’t think of too many that would/have moved the needle.

Issue seems to be the GAAS pivot and AAA games which is a problem across the board
The GAAS stuff is/was a reaction to the AAA problem.

Sony spends lots to maintain their market position. Worldwide ad campaigns. Marketing rights, etc cost lots of money in order to sell more consoles, but when the big money makers like Destiny, Fortnight, COD falter all that money they spent doesn’t bring the returns they need it to.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I didn’t buy the last expansion. Just didn’t see the type of changes I’d wanted and the grind started to get old again.

It’s a shame because I don’t feel like there a destiny 3 in the pipeline
I'm still on the D2 hamster wheel, but as a mostly solo player it's obvious it's too expensive/confusing for a newcomer.

The fact they haven't released a GOTY edition of Destiny 2 with all expansions included is a travesty.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Breh I gave up on Destiny the moment they came out with D2 and threw D1 in the fukking bushes :why:. Like good grief almighty. How they expect me to keep up with such atrocious ass GAAS?

• There's a season on top of a season
  • There's like a shyt load of expansion packs and season passes
  • The F2P version is just shooting the piss to get folks running the meth race
  • The game is a oversized tumor that constantly gets rid of content to get more content
  • By the time you buy the expansion, the content will be worthless
WOAT game series :scust:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony went into this generation, thinking Microsoft was going to operate like they typically have. They were trying to get Microsoft out of the paint. They tried to lock up starfield, remember? From advertising, the final fantasy 7 remake saga, etc. With these purchases, Microsoft has done the biggest of rug pulls. They are with the shyts from this point on.
Ding ding ding!

They basically coked out MS and entire generation and thought they would repeat that again this generation and hopefully finish them off.

I truly don't understand how they have paid professionals that didn't see MS setting up to double down on gaming and the direction they were going to try and take it, oh really is as simple as they really didn't care.

But once the CEO says we are all in on gaming and you know how he feels about missing out on mobile they should have instantly got to work on counter measures.

Yet instead Sony has raised the price of everything they own in the last 4 years. They nickel and dime for every feature, and "upgrade" and people are eating it up.

Meanwhile MS is out building "organic" relationships, adding more value to their sub service and if you broke boy gaming or just traveling a lot, they making sure you can play next generation games with the S.

:hubie:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
They're taking losses on ps5s, that's the actual issue. They're taking hardware losses trying to offset them with software like it's still 2010. It's why Microsoft doesn't care if you move to pc because hardware is so fukking expensive to manufacture. Selling 100mm ps5s doesn't mean the same as it did a 5 years ago.. let alone a decade ago, the profit margins on hardware is way less than it used to be. They're taking discounts to try to meet revenue targets. When you sell hardware you have to hope your attachment rate offsets the sells, unfortunate part is more gamers are service gamers so it's no longer black and white 2 copies offset hardware loss etc.
I can dig it, I’m under the assumption that the Bungie purchase was the catalyst for all of this. Not so much hardware problems.

They just spent nearly 4 bil for a company that is essentially underwater and needs to make some changes to cover that.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I'm still on the D2 hamster wheel, but as a mostly solo player it's obvious it's too expensive/confusing for a newcomer.

The fact they haven't released a GOTY edition of Destiny 2 with all expansions included is a travesty.
Yea they need something like they had with beyond light.

I couldn’t imagine being a newcomer and coloring up to a level where you could finally find some folks to play with :damn:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Ding ding ding!

They basically coked out MS and entire generation and thought they would repeat that again this generation and hopefully finish them off.

I truly don't understand how they have paid professionals that didn't see MS setting up to double down on gaming and the direction they were going to try and take it, oh really is as simple as they really didn't care.

But once the CEO says we are all in on gaming and you know how he feels about missing out on mobile they should have instantly got to work on counter measures.

Yet instead Sony has raised the price of everything they own in the last 4 years. They nickel and dime for every feature, and "upgrade" and people are eating it up.

Meanwhile MS is out building "organic" relationships, adding more value to their sub service and if you broke boy gaming or just traveling a lot, they making sure you can play next generation games with the S.

:hubie:
while you made some points, nothing about what M$ is doing is organic. They opened their wallets and decided to buy anything that moves for Gamepass.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
After looking into this a bit more, it seems the problem is with them delaying marathon. They probably had it in the books it was releasing in 2024 and since that isn’t happening they are looking at a drastically different expectations.

Sony wasn’t cool with that and let them know they had to make some cuts. I bet they’ll be going all in on D2 to save face now.

Still in a wait and see type position, but it reaffirms my belief that this is more of a Bungie thing than Sony