Another wave of layoffs at playstation

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
As a longtime Bungie fan, it’s hard not to feel like the acquisition fukked over the company :francis: Shortly afterwards Destiny was already dealing with a lot of issues (technical & community-wide) with resources being stretched thin for Marathon

Granted it’s still entirely possible that they could’ve experienced layoffs while independent, but getting bought out by a company that orders widespread layoffs just a little over a year after the buyout would have me sick if I worked there

This company has been burned by Microsoft, Activision, and Sony at this point :bryan:
At this point I'm honestly believing it's mostly a Bungie issue. They were having problems before the acquisition. Now they're running into Marathon issues and they had to cut some folks to balance the budget (due to sony oversight).

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
As a longtime Bungie fan, it’s hard not to feel like the acquisition fukked over the company :francis: Shortly afterwards Destiny was already dealing with a lot of issues (technical & community-wide) with resources being stretched thin for Marathon

Granted it’s still entirely possible that they could’ve experienced layoffs while independent, but getting bought out by a company that orders widespread layoffs just a little over a year after the buyout would have me sick if I worked there

This company has been burned by Microsoft, Activision, and Sony at this point :bryan:
From what I'm reading, it seems stoked by mostly greed but I also think they are getting ahead of themselves in terms of what is happening at Sony proper. Microsoft purchasing Bethesda and Activision has only accelerated this. Sony historically made 75-80% of their money from third parties. The big AAA ones hold down the fort and since the player base gets expanded so wide, small companies feel comfortable releasing their AA games on the console. These smaller companies won't have that level of shelter anymore in the near future on PS systems so they will have to put games on more platforms in the future, further eroding the theme of being the only place to play these games.

1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  4. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  6. Call Of Duty: Ghosts
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. Call of Duty: WWII
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  10. Minecraft
  11. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  12. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
  13. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  14. Mario Kart 8
  15. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  16. Battlefield 1
  17. Battlefield 4
  18. Destiny
  19. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  20. Star Wars Battlefront 2015

With Call of Duty and Minecraft, Microsoft is getting a 70/30 split with Sony and everything from Bethesda that isn't GAAS is exclusive. Sony has two evergreen franchises currently. God of War and Spiderman. Both have come and gone this generation. What's left in the oven from them? This generation is slated to go till 2028. Spiderman ain't holding them down for 5 years. I know I'm one of the few that will actually pick up Star Ocean: The Second Story on Friday for my PS5. Sony is going to need those games to pop more but those are niche in nature.

Business wise, I'm just not seeing it. Microsoft has, after payment to stock holders and additional costs, just dropped north of 70 billion on ABK. Sony still hasn't paid for the Bungie acquisition because there are hundreds of millions in deferred payments still to make.

The companies are in two different stratospheres financially and Microsoft has ultimately made it a game of finances and have seemingly put Sony in a position that they have others, force a company to operate in a torrential downpour (of money) and not get wet (get affected in some capacity.) To me, that's where we seem to be.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps

This adds to the belief that Bungie was down bad before the acquisition. These half assed expansion/seasons and absurd amount of MTX finally bit them in the ass. They were spending money on Marathon that they really didn't have.

Well, hope they can pull it together. Sony had to know they were taking a chance on them so I wonder if they had the "cuts" written in the contract in case they got news like this.