Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap

Gravity

Banned
Daps
He seems to be taking himself much too seriously but he has always come cross like that. I don't agree with what he's saying and it really doesn't make much sense, but if that's how he feels then that's what it is.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Man I miss Outkast. Big Boi still doin his thing and I listen to him but we need to bring the gang back, along with the rest of Dungeon Family. Cee Lo out here puttin out gospel music :mjcry:

I hate this one verse a year Andre 3000. :mjcry:

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Scust at some of yalls mindset regarding Hip Hop music and CULTURE. This is a lifestyle brehs. Why the fucc can't we be 42 and continue to be a successful Hip Hop musician? Oh wait, that's right, we can smh. Only fuccin genre of music in the world where artists feel pressured to bow out

And fucc Andre Benjamin for never putting out a proper solo and for being completely fine with no more Kast albums ever again. Fucc that

Scust

Yo every time I ask somebody why is he a top ten rapper I never get a straight answer.

Because Eminem said it in that song, and that became the official top ten since then, people wont admit it but thats the first person I EVER heard say that about him. As a group they are legend, as solo artists they simply dont have the body of work.. Even Prodigy has an arguable classic as a solo artist. Naw dude aint top ten not even close im not a sheep im not just going with that narrative

Y'all mad at him but what old rappers modern music do y'all listen to besides Jay z and nas :jbhmm:

And even then, most people don't judge it as just regular music. They judge it as "oh they were in they prime when I was younger and their new shyt isn't terrible but.."

Hip hop is still a very young genre, a LOT of which is based around youth and image.

Besides Jay's new album and maybe tribes last year I just haven't seen much of it

Scarface put out a dope album in 2015, game put out a dope album in 2015, ATCQ last album was up to their standards, this is just simply not true. shyt even Compton was a pretty good album

Anybody else feel like Idlewild flopping probly soured him on making new material? :patrice:

Exactly, he is only considered legend cause he quit while he was ahead, for all we know he went in the studio and tried to get some songs done and probably just didnt have it anymore. I loved Stankonia but I have to be the only person that expects detox before an andre 3k album

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because Eminem said it in that song, and that became the official top ten since then

Eminem ain't have nothing to do with Andre being considered a top tier MC. There were magazines in the 90's that were praising Andre before Eminem even mattered. What's funny is how many Top 10's actually have Kurupt, Jada, Redman, and Eminem listed on them anyway. Show me an a list where they appeared in the sequence that Em said it in the song. Never was an official list that remotely looked like Em's list.

• Dap
Reactions: hex
Daps
There is no age restriction for dope music. 3Stacks could release a bomb album now, next year or the year after.

We need to remember that hip hop isn't restricted for older people, we are only now going through our fav rappers being 'old' as the genre as a whole isn't that old. There will be plenty of 40+ rappers in the years to come.

Rolling stones still tour heavy, Bob Dylan can't sit still, Red hot chilli peppers still tour and make music too.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
And I totally understand that but the boxing analogy of the older you get the slower you get, I don't like that. You're not boxing you're rapping and best believe one is much less physically intensive and harmful than the other. To say you are too old to compete is low key shytting on rappers his age or older. If he was applying this to just him then cool but the "I don't care who you are" part, ok, now you are saying this applies to everybody.
Except it's true. All these old artists can't compare to their young selves. Yea they can hang with these new dudes, but that's cause they suck

But 4:44 vs reasonable doubt or black album or blueprint.... yea fukking right

Nobody wants a Dre album where all we do is say "damn this nikka fell off"

King Poetic

Yeah I’m Washed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
The best music is coming from 30 plus and 40 plus rappers.

But i understand once u did all that touring and recording and the fukk up business in rap in your 20s, u don't want to at 42 deal with the bullshyt and the time to do a album

Especially in 2017 where everything now is singles and not albums

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Eminem ain't have nothing to do with Andre being considered a top tier MC. There were magazines in the 90's that were praising Andre before Eminem even mattered. What's funny is how many Top 10's actually have Kurupt, Jada, Redman, and Eminem listed on them anyway. Show me an a list where they appeared in the sequence that Em said it in the song. Never was an official list that remotely looked like Em's list.
EDIT

My point is 3 stacks cant be considered the GOAT or top 10 IMO because he doesnt have the body of work.. To be top 10 you have to have 3 solo albums. So big isnt in my top 10 either, sorry. Its not fair to compare a guy like Jay or LL to a guy with 1-2 solo albums. However they are definitely up there in the top group category easily.

Last edited:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
He has been very consistent with this point of view. He said a long time ago that he didn't want to be an old rapper still trying to be cool.

This is just pathetic. He's got generations of kids that can use his wisdom and words. You don't stop growing. Or learning.

It's a gift from the Almighty. Selfish ass nikka.

This needs to stop, rap JUST got to a place where it can have older artists and older fans, the genre is only ~40 years old if we're being generous. I know plenty 40-50 something's who still listen to rap, that's what they grew up on. This ain't 1990 when people that age grew up on 70's soul and disco.

Now will the hottest trends and sounds be set by the youth, yes, but there is still place for older cats to make music for the people who want to hear them. Rock is damn near dead as a genre today, but U2, kiss, Metallica, etc can still sell albums, sellout tours, do press, etc. at fukking 60+ because :old: fans and young fans who appreciate the "classics" and legacy acts.

You have to agree with 3k if his goal when he puts out music is to be the hottest thing out there and dictating the culture

The longer you rap the less influence you have over what's biggest going on in rap

For over a decade 3k influenced rap from dances to slang to having the biggest albums that were played by everyone

Of course we think he should be making music at this point to service the fanbase he has built over the years (like Jay z) but that doesn't seem like it's worthy of 3ks time

4:44 mattered to Jay z's huge fanbase but in terms of what's moving and shaking in hihop it's not a factor

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Why does hip hop frown upon people participating in the creation of music after a certain age?
You don't see that in any other genre of music. What does age have to do with a person's creative ability?
This mindset in hip hop that it's only for teenagers and people in their 20's has always been crazy to me.
It almost screams white supremacy/conspiracy to me.
Like a mental conditioning designed to destroy a powerful genre that has proven to be able to move the entire culture.

boxfullofjoel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This dude is lame, lazy and overrated :hhh:In order for hip-hop to continue to thrive we must have different layers and older rappers is one of them. This dude to me was the one who opened Pandora's box with that " hey ya " song. That POP song really changed the definition of what was considered hip hop and you started getting less talented "rappers" stretching the art form to what we have today:hubie:.

So lets close his chapter:pacspit: stop bringing his name up as a GOAT when clearly he is not, and move on to people who are still passionate and are offering relevant content to older fans as well.

Mag149

Back flipped on the mattress they slept on me on
Daps
Reppin
BX
This dude is lame, lazy and overrated :hhh:In order for hip-hop to continue to thrive we must have different layers and older rappers is one of them. This dude to me was the one who opened Pandora's box with that " hey ya " song. That POP song really changed the definition of what was considered hip hop and you started getting less talented "rappers" stretching the art form to what we have today:hubie:.

So lets close his chapter:pacspit: stop bringing his name up as a GOAT when clearly he is not, and move on to people who are still passionate and are offering relevant content to older fans as well.
:sas2:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Because we love 3k so much, a lot of us will get upset about what he's saying or try to argue his feelings, but it's a perfectly understandable stance.

He's my second favorite rapper ever, so I miss him for sure.