Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Real talk it's in his book

Then in early 2003, I went to Atlanta to have a meeting with Outkast at their Stankonia Studios, named after their album. I went in assuming that we were going to talk about their new upcoming album, but right away it was clear they had a different conversation in mind. They told me at this meeting that they might not want to work together as a group any longer. In fact, I’m not sure Big Boi knew before this meeting that André had come to this conclusion—I couldn’t tell. I was shocked and stunned, but this was too sensitive to betray their confidence. Whether this was happening because of personal jealousies or divergent creative directions or whatever, they never let on.”

Excerpt From: Reid, L.A. “Sing to Me.” HarperCollinsPublishers, 2015-12-16. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/QkG5Z.l

Sometime later, Big Boi told me he wanted to make a solo record. He went in the studio and he records, records, records, records. I started to hear the songs he sent me or his manager brought. I loved them. He played me one, “The Way You Move,” that sounded like a real smash. Then he played me others that sounded so good I got confused. This album was full of songs that I really loved and I couldn’t wait to put out. I went to Atlanta for his photo shoot. He had speakers everywhere, big speakers, small speakers. He was sitting on top of speakers. The name of the album was Speakerboxxx.
As it all came together, the company back in New York had been making plans to market and release the album by Big Boi, when I got a call from his former partner, André 3000.
“Reid,” he said, “when are you putting out Big Boi’s album?”
“The release date is five weeks away,” I said.
“So if I want to make an album and turn this into a double album, how much time do I have?”
“Three weeks.”
“Damn, three weeks,” he said and paused, as[…]

Excerpt From: Reid, L.A. “Sing to Me.” HarperCollinsPublishers, 2015-12-16. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/QkG5Z.l
Sounds like it was more Andre's decision than Big Boi's. Which is what I basically gathered from the beginning.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
you're remedial. I understood what you were attempting to say the 1st time you typed it. You named some rappers and I gave u some musical and age references.

you can't say "so and so" does it, so Andre should be able to adapt, esp coming from a dude who essentially coined the phrase "Outkast".

rap is and always will be a YOUNG MAN's game......which is why slanging dope, fuccin' hoes, fast money, and guns are such a big part of the culture b/c it appeals to IMPRESSIONABLE YOUNG PEOPLE
Rap is not a YOUNG MANS GAME nikka. Rap is just YOUNG period. And now that's it's getting some age to it people wanna cut it at it's legs. If every other Genre of music had that mentality then they shyt would be done for. But u got Rock artists touring and making music in their late 60s early 70s.

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's right. Hip Hop is a young man's game because the culture has refused to grow up. Every time I see Usher out here with the Odell dye job, or hear Beyoncé cussing and getting sexually explicit on record, it makes me sad. Nobody puts value in age/wisdom anymore from our culture. If we can't even get a group like the Whispers to be popping in R&B, you damn sure not about to get a rapper that's popping past 40. And spare me the Jay-Z nonsense. He's marketed himself really well to be the "taste maker" of hip hop. People are willing to "hear" what he has to say, but they're not willing to value it. He's great at rapping and what he says if really good.....but after a while that's all it becomes. It's a hobby now....for 3K and Jay. The only difference is Jay has corporate obligations still. But if I'm 3K, and people still are willing to hear what I have to say, I'd drop a verse here and there when I feel like it too. Especially when I see my boy Big out there rapping his ass off and dropping great albums after great albums and pushing 100K albums. The culture isn't valuing what the older guard has to say on wax like other cultures do. That's not a knock on the artist, that's a knock on the culture.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
I got love for 3000 and def think he's skilled but this attitude pisses me off. He's got his money, respect, achievements and he's fulfilled professionally. Why not gracefully bow out instead of making it seem like there are extenuating circumstances forcing you out? I feel like it's an older artist forfeiting the culture with that boxing analogy at the end. Like naw nikka, that's just you, don't push that as the attitude on your other peers the same age.

Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap.
He’s Wrong.

However, at age 42, Andre 3000 speaks candidly about age, creativity, and Hip-Hop. While JAY-Z’s 4:44 is the most talked about Rap album this summer, released by a 47-year-old who made his professional debut years before ‘Dre, 3000 seemingly puts a cap on his timeline. He considers Rap a “hobby” and admits that he does not relate to peers (and collaborators) such as Jay, Ice Cube, Bun B, Too Short, or Scarface, let alone his partner Big Boi (who dropped an LP in June).

Andre 3000’s New “Decemba” Verse Is Cold. How Cold? ICE COLD (Audio)

“I kind of like not being a part of [Rap music], now that I’ve done it,” 3000 tells Complex‘s Alex Gale. He continues “As I get older, I start to see myself move more back from it—the hustle and bustle of putting out an album, the pressure of being in the studio trying to come up with something. Now it’s more like a hobby for me, so I don’t think about it in that way. Even with Outkast, if we never do another album, I’m totally fine with that. When I was 25, I said I don’t want to be a 30-year-old rapper. I’m 42 now, and I feel more and more that way. Do I really want to be 50 years old up there doing that?”

“Rapping is like being a boxer,” André equates. “No matter how great you are or were at a certain time, the older you get, the slower you get—I don’t care who you are. And I can feel that coming on. There’s always a new wave of artists, and sometimes I’m just like, ‘I’m good. I’ll let the young guys do it.’” Moments later, he says, “I don’t get much happiness from doing music like that—I get happiness from pleasing who I’m working with, and helping them, and seeing them be excited.”

Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap. He’s Wrong.

no one cares Dre...

shyt got weird anyway

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
There's multiple legends/vets who have put out quality songs/albums, he's just scared more than anything. Big Boi continues to put out qualities solos and music in general since the Kryptonite days. The only vets trying to "be cool" are the ones wave hopping. If you're yourself in your music, age doesn't matter. Another reason why Big Boi > Dre, and don't @ me, just keep listening to Dre singing sea shells on the seashore and playing his guitar.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
the fact that absolutely everybody is rapping now completely kills the feeling

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
He's right. Hip Hop is a young man's game because the culture has refused to grow up. Every time I see Usher out here with the Odell dye job, or hear Beyoncé cussing and getting sexually explicit on record, it makes me sad. Nobody puts value in age/wisdom anymore from our culture. If we can't even get a group like the Whispers to be popping in R&B, you damn sure not about to get a rapper that's popping past 40. And spare me the Jay-Z nonsense. He's marketed himself really well to be the "taste maker" of hip hop. People are willing to "hear" what he has to say, but they're not willing to value it. He's great at rapping and what he says if really good.....but after a while that's all it becomes. It's a hobby now....for 3K and Jay. The only difference is Jay has corporate obligations still. But if I'm 3K, and people still are willing to hear what I have to say, I'd drop a verse here and there when I feel like it too. Especially when I see my boy Big out there rapping his ass off and dropping great albums after great albums and pushing 100K albums. The culture isn't valuing what the older guard has to say on wax like other cultures do. That's not a knock on the artist, that's a knock on the culture.
:what: I think the problem is u obviously don't know what hip hop is if u using them as examples.