Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Scust at you for implying that's all that rappers can rap about. Nas rapped about possibly not being the best father to his daughter. Prodigy has a song rapping about the trials and tribulations he had being inflicted with Sickle Cell. Cube and Chuck rapped about Black social issues. J. Cole rapped about the anxiety he had the first time he was with a girl sexually. Pac has a song about uplifting Black women. GZA is creating a whole album about the universe. Yall nikkas have to stop putting limitations on rap music. A rapper does not have to rap about NONE of that shyt you mentioned to make dope rap music.
and on the same album Nas rap about macking bishes and his riches...:francis:

Pac and J. Cole is young dudes compared to a 42 year old Dre.

I never said thats ALL rappers can rap about but the game in general is geared toward the youth....they drive the music/culture whether u wanna admit it or not, and most of them aint tryna hear cats old enough to be their grandaddies rapping with wrinkles in their faces and gray hairs in their beards.

there is simply no appeal there. it's still SHOW BUSINESS.

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
alot of y'all dont listen to Andre when he do rap. He been put it out there in and out his music. You cant make nobody do nothing they ain't feelin in they heart anymore....dude don't give a damn if y'all like it or not either. He still will buss y'all fave rapper ass on the mic

And this the type of shyt that'll make you call your rap partner
And say I'm sorry I'm awkward, my fault for fukkin' up the tours
I hated all the attention so I ran from it
fukk it if we did, but I hope we ain't lose no fans from it
I'm a grown-ass kid, you know ain't never cared about no damn money

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
and on the same album Nas rap about macking bishes and his riches...:francis:

Pac and J. Cole is young dudes compared to a 42 year old Dre.

I never said thats ALL rappers can rap about but the game in general is geared toward the youth....they drive the music/culture whether u wanna admit it or not, and most of them aint tryna hear cats old enough to be their grandaddies rapping with wrinkles in their faces and gray hairs in their beards.

there is simply no appeal there. it's still SHOW BUSINESS.

You're slow. My point is that a rapper...OF ANY AGE...doesnt have to rap about street shyt, hoes, money, etc to make a dope rap song. There's a million rap songs and albums that don't talk about that shyt. A 40+ Andre doesn't have to be on a stage or in the studio rapping about some shyt Migos would be rapping about. An established older rapper doesnt have to rapping about anything geared to the youth to make dope music. He'll have an audience that will follow and support if he continues to be good at making good rap music. Just like ALL music genres. Why rap gotta be different?

Also, you must not have heard Nas' Life Is Good. Easily one of the most grown man rap albums I've ever heard from a rapper.

King Jove

King Of †he Gawds
Daps
Reppin
[redacted]
it's perfectly fine if he doesn't want to make albums anymore. you can't force someone to put out half-assed shyt just because you thirsty for them to put out something.

he said he doesn't get happiness from music and if that's the case then just bow out.

no use putting out shyt if you don't have passion for it anymore.

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're slow. My point is that a rapper...OF ANY AGE...doesnt have to rap about street shyt, hoes, money, etc to make a dope rap song. There's a million rap songs and albums that don't talk about that shyt. A 40+ Andre doesn't have to be on a stage or in the studio rapping about some shyt Migos would be rapping about. An established older rapper doesnt have to rapping about anything geared to the youth to make dope music. He'll have an audience that will follow and support if he continues to be good at making good rap music. Just like ALL music genres. Why rap gotta be different?

Also, you must not have heard Nas' Life Is Good. Easily one of the most grown man rap albums I've ever heard from a rapper.
you're remedial. I understood what you were attempting to say the 1st time you typed it. You named some rappers and I gave u some musical and age references.

you can't say "so and so" does it, so Andre should be able to adapt, esp coming from a dude who essentially coined the phrase "Outkast".

rap is and always will be a YOUNG MAN's game......which is why slanging dope, fuccin' hoes, fast money, and guns are such a big part of the culture b/c it appeals to IMPRESSIONABLE YOUNG PEOPLE

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
he been saying this shyt since i was in middle school.

at least he bowed out gracefully instead of continuously dropping :flabbynsick: albums like yaw favorite rappers. :umad:

quality > quantity
right ...nikkaz slick mad that he went out on his own terms instead of being pushed out the game

alot of them Wu-Tang nikkaz shoulda stopped 10-15 years ago too :francis:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Y'all mad at him but what old rappers modern music do y'all listen to besides Jay z and nas :jbhmm:

And even then, most people don't judge it as just regular music. They judge it as "oh they were in they prime when I was younger and their new shyt isn't terrible but.."

Hip hop is still a very young genre, a LOT of which is based around youth and image.

Besides Jay's new album and maybe tribes last year I just haven't seen much of it
Hard mode: How much of this are yall supporting with actual dollars? :mjgrin:

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
you're remedial. I understood what you were attempting to say the 1st time you typed it. You named some rappers and I gave u some musical and age references.

you can't say "so and so" does it, so Andre should be able to adapt, esp coming from a dude who essentially coined the phrase "Outkast".

rap is and always will be a YOUNG MAN's game......which is why slanging dope, fuccin' hoes, fast money, and guns are such a big part of the culture b/c it appeals to IMPRESSIONABLE YOUNG PEOPLE

The fukk rap being some "young man's game" got to do with shyt? Matter fact please tell me the music genre where the youngsters who follow it are listening to the artists their moms and pops was listening to. There is none. Not rock, not R&B, not pop, dance...none. The difference is is that rap is the only genre that has "fans" trying to tell people the older artists of the music their supposedly a fan of shouldn't be making music anymore.

And I gives a fukk if Andre wants to rap no more or not. I ALWAYS thought he was wildly overrated. My problem with him is that this weirdo is an elderstatesmen in the culture and he continually publicly acts like he's ashamed of the thought of being a rapper in his 40's, which continues to perpetuate this silly notion that rappers should stop rapping at a certain age. If he doesn't wanna rap anymore, than fine. Stfu and let the other 40 + year old rappers continue to outrap the prominent younger rappers in the game and continue to put out dope rap music.

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Y'all mad at him but what old rappers modern music do y'all listen to besides Jay z and nas :jbhmm:

And even then, most people don't judge it as just regular music. They judge it as "oh they were in they prime when I was younger and their new shyt isn't terrible but.."

Hip hop is still a very young genre, a LOT of which is based around youth and image.

Besides Jay's new album and maybe tribes last year I just haven't seen much of it
I very much enjoyed snoop's bush (pause) dre's Compton, atcq and de la soul, common, 2 chainz will be 40, I listen to him...big boi's album wasn't his best but is still good, I'm from the bay which also means I still slap too short and e-40, both well over 40 :manny:...need I go on?

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
read what u posted...it doesn't say "he recorded the album in 2 weeks"

impossible!!

infact Dre had been working on that music for quite some time. It was music to a musical/film he wanted to put out (which eventually became Idlewild)...He may have added a few tracks and changed some things here and there, but he been had did that music Man.
MF Grimm recorded an album in 24 hours on bail :manny:

61ZCb2bI1nL.jpg

It's possible

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
People were just saying that Jay sounded off with his flow on 4:44. Flow often requires a good degree of breath control, and you can imagine most mid-40s dudes have less of than that someone 20 years younger, unless they're somebody like LL or Will Smith whose lifestyle is in the gym. So in that regard you can "slow down" like a boxer.

But Andre been saying this for like a decade so for him it's purely mental/cultural.
Lol @ breath control when a good 75% of these young cats don't take care of their health and blow their lungs full of smoke. I've seen plenty of these younger dude's performances and they can't keep up with half the lyrics (thank god for crowd participation) while I've seen busta, jay, ll, and wu tang perform at 40+ smooth flowing back and forth across the stage