Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
Y'all still gonna fall for the 11th annual "andre 3000 solo album coming next year" headline in 2018:mjgrin:
I think that, if he ever did drop a solo, it would just come outta nowhere.

I can't knock the guy for not having the DESIRE to rap at an older age. But I do take umbrage to placing age limits on the culture....that's a surefire way to KILL it.

momma

All Star
Daps
He has been very consistent with this point of view. He said a long time ago that he didn't want to be an old rapper still trying to be cool.

That's complete bs because he's been doing guest features left and right since he came back from the dead on Take Care. You don't need to make trend-chasing shyt or be cool. 4:44 and We Got It From Here are 2 of some of the best hip-hop albums to have came out this decade and those were just vet MCs doing what they do best. Andre can absolutely do what he wants. Now if he just doesn't have the passion or inspiration to make an album he feels would be good that's one thing, but the age excuse is lame

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Scust at some of yalls mindset regarding Hip Hop music and CULTURE. This is a lifestyle brehs. Why the fucc can't we be 42 and continue to be a successful Hip Hop musician? Oh wait, that's right, we can smh. Only fuccin genre of music in the world where artists feel pressured to bow out

And fucc Andre Benjamin for never putting out a proper solo and for being completely fine with no more Kast albums ever again. Fucc that

Scust

I agree 100% with your first point

But as for the second, Stankonia was honestly supposed to be the final Outkast album. They met with LA Reid and told him they didnt want to record as a group anymore. Speakerboxx was originally a Big Boi solo album. Andre called LA Reid three weeks before it was supposed to drop and asked him how long he had to record an album to package with Big Boi's. Reid told him he had two weeks. Andre recorded Love Below IN TWO WEEKS.

So it's not like Andre ever left Big hanging, they've been "broken up" at least since Stakonia

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Scust at some of yalls mindset regarding Hip Hop music and CULTURE. This is a lifestyle brehs. Why the fucc can't we be 42 and continue to be a successful Hip Hop musician? Oh wait, that's right, we can smh. Only fuccin genre of music in the world where artists feel pressured to bow out
Tbf I'm not trying to hear Future rapping about Percocet at 42.

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
That's the problem, rapping is not a sport. There is no Wizards MJ, a nikka fell off cuz they ain't hungry no more. 40+ year old rappers are CURRENTLY competing in the rap game as we speak. Jay had a recent number one, Tribe, De La all have had #1 albums in the past year. Rick Ross is around Andre's age, he is currently in regular rotation right now. Older rappers are competing right now against younger ones. There is no rap version of 2016 Kobe, a nikka that still wants to compete and is physically unable to.

That's where I disagree. Hungry or not I think mentally they can fall off a bit. Jay flow and some of his lyrics have been mediocre. I think mentally they're not as sharp. Disregarding sales (they've had a full 20+ years to build up a fanbase - of course they'll get #1s) none of those albums you mentioned are truly as good as any of their prime albums. Thus why I compared it to Wizards MJ. Flashes of greatness is still there, but overall? nah

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Y'all mad at him but what old rappers modern music do y'all listen to besides Jay z and nas :jbhmm:

Common dropped the AOTY last year
ATCQ dropped the runner up AOTY
Masta Ace STILL drops heat and he's damn near 50
Ghostface been dropping heat
Raekwon dropped a solid project

Kanye knocking on 40's door and he's still one of the most anticipated artists whenever he drops

Black Thought will still outrap 90% of ANY new school artist

Rick Ross is 41 and stays dropping heat

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
That's where I disagree. Hungry or not I think mentally they can fall off a bit. Jay flow and some of his lyrics have been mediocre. I think mentally they're not as sharp. Disregarding sales (they've had a full 20+ years to build up a fanbase - of course they'll get #1s) none of those albums you mentioned are truly as good as any of their prime albums. Thus why I compared it to Wizards MJ. Flashes of greatness is still there, but overall? nah

But this has nothing to do with age. Obviously he has more responsibilities and less time to devote to music. But to say he ain't sharp, he dropped some lines. Yes, Jay dropped an occasional mediocre but he's been doing that since his 30s. And I will admit I wasn't a fan of either Tribe nor de la's albums but in terms of competition they were still better than a lot of shyt coming out. And there is Rick Ross, who again, musically, sales, popularity, work ethic (basically has not fallen off) still competing with cats half his age too.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
And I totally understand that but the boxing analogy of the older you get the slower you get, I don't like that. You're not boxing you're rapping and best believe one is much less physically intensive and harmful than the other. To say you are too old to compete is low key shytting on rappers his age or older. If he was applying this to just him then cool but the "I don't care who you are" part, ok, now you are saying this applies to everybody.
People were just saying that Jay sounded off with his flow on 4:44. Flow often requires a good degree of breath control, and you can imagine most mid-40s dudes have less of than that someone 20 years younger, unless they're somebody like LL or Will Smith whose lifestyle is in the gym. So in that regard you can "slow down" like a boxer.

But Andre been saying this for like a decade so for him it's purely mental/cultural.

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dre is passive-aggressive. He been telling us for over 10 years now that it aint happening......He just ain't never said "never" b/c u can never say never.......The things ur favorite rapper loves about the rap game...andre benjamin hates, and hates w/a passion.

dude is so iconic in the game now that a mere 16 from him and it will follow up with press and him basically saying the same thing he saying now. Reporters have been asking this same question since 2005, and getting the same exact answer.