Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
He's been saying the same thing literally for years.

Hell the real surprise would be if he ever DOES drop new music at this point
Right. I'm one of the biggest Outkast fans out there and I don't care if he ever raps again. They blessed us with more than enough music to enjoy:blessed: I'm good.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What u mean pushed? Jay don't have to make another album for the rest of his life. He had zero pressure.

Well, No I.D. pushed him to talk about aspects of his life and reveal things that he was reluctant to talk about. Anytime Jay releases an album, there's always pressure because he's Jay Z.

So you gently pushed him towards the personal parts of the record?
I knew he wanted to [say those things]. I don't want to take credit for what he wanted to do in the first place. I helped push him by saying, "Hey, this is what you said, this is what we know. And I don't think people need to hear it. I think people need to hear what they don't know." Meaning: You wanted a Picasso, but why? You're with Beyoncé, but what is that really like? What's the pressure? What's the responsibility? What's the ups and downs? I wanted him to not be over people's heads.

'4:44' Producer No I.D. Talks Pushing Jay-Z, Creating '500 Ideas'

In regard to Andre, Andre said back in '98 "Trying to outdo the last verse that I burst that is my curse". So yeah, after you reach a certain point as an artist, there's pressure because the artist becomes their own competition.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Rap is not a YOUNG MANS GAME nikka. Rap is just YOUNG period. And now that's it's getting some age to it people wanna cut it at it's legs. If every other Genre of music had that mentality then they shyt would be done for. But u got Rock artists touring and making music in their late 60s early 70s.
nikkas want to call late 30's rappers :flabbynsick: and hiphop is older than them. We really got to stop throwing older rappers out like they can't still do it. shyt is crazy man

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what: I think the problem is u obviously don't know what hip hop is if u using them as examples.

I've forgot more about hip hop than you know. The point is the culture, the age range of the consumers, isn't growing up and forcing the artist to regress. Play an album from a 40 year old Luther or whoever was the quintessential R&B male singer in the previous era and you'd see the vast difference in how the artist of the time where allowed to be their age. I could've very well used old ass 2 Chainz as an example, but the point I was making is that it's not singular to just hip hop. We're not even allowing mature singers (i.e The Whispers) to pop in this era, so there's really no hope for a hip hop artist popping as an old head.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Well, No I.D. pushed him to talk about aspects of his life and reveal things that he was reluctant to talk about. Anytime Jay releases an album, there's always pressure because he's Jay Z.

So you gently pushed him towards the personal parts of the record?
I knew he wanted to [say those things]. I don't want to take credit for what he wanted to do in the first place. I helped push him by saying, "Hey, this is what you said, this is what we know. And I don't think people need to hear it. I think people need to hear what they don't know." Meaning: You wanted a Picasso, but why? You're with Beyoncé, but what is that really like? What's the pressure? What's the responsibility? What's the ups and downs? I wanted him to not be over people's heads.

'4:44' Producer No I.D. Talks Pushing Jay-Z, Creating '500 Ideas'

In regard to Andre, Andre said back in '98 "Trying to outdo the last verse that I burst that is my curse". So yeah, after you reach a certain point as an artist, there's pressure because the artist becomes their own competition.
He said he pushed him towards certain content. Not to make the album in general. And u can tell he was also influenced by what Nas been doing for the last few albums. He's done nothing but praise it and 4:44 has multiple influences from Nas' last few.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I've forgot more about hip hop than you know. The point is the culture, the age range of the consumers, isn't growing up and forcing the artist to regress. Play an album from a 40 year old Luther or whoever was the quintessential R&B male singer in the previous era and you'd see the vast difference in how the artist of the time where allowed to be their age. I could've very well used old ass 2 Chainz as an example, but the point I was making is that it's not singular to just hip hop. We're not even allowing mature singers (i.e The Whispers) to pop in this era, so there's really no hope for a hip hop artist popping as an old head.
Sike. Also u don't articulate ur point very well. Cause they have nothing to do with hip hop. And if u talking about RnB growing up there's plenty of RnB artists not named Beyoncé and Usher that are dropping great shyt it's just that RnB is damn near dead in the mainstream cause the line has been blurred too much. But u still got cats like Babyface droppin dope albums. shyt RnB ain't even get overall raunchy till recent. There was always exceptions but nothing like it is now.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That's where I disagree. Hungry or not I think mentally they can fall off a bit. Jay flow and some of his lyrics have been mediocre. I think mentally they're not as sharp. Disregarding sales (they've had a full 20+ years to build up a fanbase - of course they'll get #1s) none of those albums you mentioned are truly as good as any of their prime albums. Thus why I compared it to Wizards MJ. Flashes of greatness is still there, but overall? nah
You think someone in their 40s isn't as mentally sharp as someone in their 20s? :jbhmm: