Andre 3000 GQ Video Interview: “sometimes it feels inauthentic for me to rap because I don’t have anything to talk about in that way.”

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
Lol, what?

Nothing about what he said indicates being one dimensional. It seems he just doesn’t think the things he experiences are what people what to listen to, and he has always rapped about his experiences, direct or indirect. I’m also if the opinion that this USUALLY results in better and more timeless music.

His discography from start to end to should prove that he is, in fact, not one dimensional.

This 100 percent.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
It hasn’t been no 17 yrs

2023- killer mike

2020 - goodie mob

2019- Anderson paak

2017- nerd

2016- was his most active yr in a long time

Dre been active ppl don’t pay attention to em like that

And he’s been on Grammy winners n nominated albums

Funny when Dre pops up ppl write like he has been inactive

When he has invoices .: jus a couple months he had the internet goin nuts over his killer mike appearance

Before that Kanye’s album

Now it’s been 17 yrs

Last edited:

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
lmao nikkas mad cuz I'm sick of Andre whining about not wanting to rap for like 15-20 years.
I mean if you're tired of hearing about Andre 3000........ like... i mean... dawg.... Why even enter the thread? Like what are we even doing here?

I'm not saying I'm entitled to hear him rap, just that almost any and everything I hear about him over that time period is him implying that he hates rap and has nothing to rap about because he's such and such an age. Ain't nobody trying to stop him from 'evolving' into a snake charmer or whatever tf he wanna be.
I imagine he's like that because fans and other artists keep nagging at him to rap.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
He made his own assumptions that we don't want to hear what he got to say. It ain't like he dropped something and it bricked, he never gave the people a chance to form their own opinions. I just think after all these years and hype he got cold feet.
There's 40+ years of mainstream hip-hop to show you that there is a very narrow scope to the topics in rap records that sell in decent numbers. The scope is only narrowing. We aren't seeing a greater diversity of popular rappers, they are actually becoming more and more indistinguishable from each other. You can even see it in their names. How many rappers with "Lil" in their name over the past 10 years?

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
I thought the south had something to say :mjgrin:
He got 5mics n hip hop quotable for it

spill-spill-app.gif

GatorStaceyAdams

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC (but PGH will forever be home)
Lol, what?

Nothing about what he said indicates being one dimensional. It seems he just doesn’t think the things he experiences are what people what to listen to, and he has always rapped about his experiences, direct or indirect. I’m also if the opinion that this USUALLY results in better and more timeless music.

His discography from start to end to should prove that he is, in fact, not one dimensional.
Right?

I mean of all rappers (hell recording artists for that matter) to call one-dimensional, 3-stacks would be probably one of the last.

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
There's 40+ years of mainstream hip-hop to show you that there is a very narrow scope to the topics in rap records that sell in decent numbers. The scope is only narrowing. We aren't seeing a greater diversity of popular rappers, they are actually becoming more and more indistinguishable from each other. You can even see it in their names. How many rappers with "Lil" in their name over the past 10 years?
There's just never been enough people doing it for it to become a real thing. When Nas dropped Life is Good 11 years ago I thought we'd see a grown and sexy subgenre of rap flourish but it never caught on. Probably because a lot of rappers lack the maturity and depth to do it. A lot of these cats have peter pan syndrome. But what's funny is with the state of hip hip being what it is we need people like Dre more than ever. Even if he is rapping about his bad eyes it'd be a nice change of pace and breathe some new life into the genre. We can agree to disagree but I think it's not because it can't be done it's because it hasn't been done.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I mean if you're tired of hearing about Andre 3000........ like... i mean... dawg.... Why even enter the thread? Like what are we even doing here?

I imagine he's like that because fans and other artists keep nagging at him to rap.

I was trying to be funny fam lol, at least to myself.

If Nas came out with a flute album tomorrow nikkas would clown tf outta him. Fans nagging you to rap while you chilling is one thing, same fans confused/off put at you doing a windwood solo is another.