Andre 3000 GQ Video Interview: “sometimes it feels inauthentic for me to rap because I don’t have anything to talk about in that way.”

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
nikka ain’t had the urge to make 10 solo rap songs his whole career. nikka been in the game since 94. Too many excuses are made for this nikka. Son fell for his own hype. The end.
foh if you listen to his features from the last few years, they have real substance, if he doesn't feel like he can produce an album of a dozen tracks with that same quality, why would you want him to force it? I feel the same way about jay elec, mos def and lauryn hill, if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all. They can't all be a pusha t, even ghostface and jay struggled for years before putting out quality albums like 4:44 and sour soul. Andre doesn't want to tarnish his legacy by releasing music he doesn't 100% believe in.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
foh if you listen to his features from the last few years, they have real substance, if he doesn't feel like he can produce an album of a dozen tracks with that same quality, why would you want him to force it? I feel the same way about jay elec, mos def and lauryn hill, if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all. They can't all be a pusha t, even ghostface and jay struggled for years before putting out quality albums like 4:44 and sour soul. Andre doesn't want to tarnish his legacy by releasing music he doesn't 100% believe in.
I don’t want this nikka to do shyt. I want his fans to shut the fukk up about him being top 5. And stop disrespecting Big Boi.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
people saying he's overrated... idk man. i feel like we all remember where we were the first time we heard...

"walk it out like an usher
if you say real talk, I probably won't trust ya" :damn::damn:

dance floor used to be cracking and shifting under the sheer tectonic pressure of nikkas stepping in unison

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
I don’t want this nikka to do shyt. I want his fans to shut the fukk up about him being top 5. And stop disrespecting Big Boi.

Man stop fukking lying like you give a fukk about big boi:russ: what's the last big boi song you heard in 2023?

you were a big fan of the boomiverse album?:dead:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka ain’t had the urge to make 10 solo rap songs his whole career. nikka been in the game since 94. Too many excuses are made for this nikka. Son fell for his own hype. The end.

He's not interested my brother. What do you want?

Jack Skellington

yes indeed family
Daps
Reppin
Halloween Town
I swear these old rappers are coddled about their delusional "artistry". A Visual Artist paints until physically disabled or death. Same with musicians...but no...Rappers grow out of their art or become Thespians and then bytch about it not being pure.

I'm sick of the shyt. Devin The Dude is almost 60 and heading the Willie Nelson route...talking about life at that age range.

Ya art is supposed to grow with you. You don't outgrow your art like a twin mattress you had as a child and now you need a California King.

But yall make excuses for these "artists".

Facts. I’m honestly disappointed in 3stacks take on rap, it’s almost like he is belittling the genre

360dagod

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NY DIVISION
I swear these old rappers are coddled about their delusional "artistry". A Visual Artist paints until physically disabled or death. Same with musicians...but no...Rappers grow out of their art or become Thespians and then bytch about it not being pure.

I'm sick of the shyt. Devin The Dude is almost 60 and heading the Willie Nelson route...talking about life at that age range.

Ya art is supposed to grow with you. You don't outgrow your art like a twin mattress you had as a child and now you need a California King.

But yall make excuses for these "artists".

Devin the Dude isn't Andre 3000 and never had the platform to be in the conversation...

It's not so much about subject matter as it is instrumentation/arrangements/bar structure etc

The average fan "discourages" freedom of artistry...

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
in the full interview he alluded to there being issues with big boi. I'm paraphrasing but he said they in different spaces n the chemistry not there. Kast a thing of the past.

Not everyone is capable of performing on their own. Maybe Dre was really just a group act. He mighta not had the gusto to do the solo thing.

Probably better off then ruining his legacy with a half assed attempt.

Its a shame cause the game could really use more true artists of his age/caliber.

He was in his early 20s already dropping gems with 50 year old wisdom.

Running around NYC playing the flute on subway platforms when u got grandkids is nuts.
That’s the thing.. he was already dropping what he could be dropping now back then. We have six albums of material to go back to for Dre’s lyrics… a lot of his lyrical are still relevant today. To put that in perspective, he gave us more content than Biggie.. a solo artist that is considered one of the goats.. of course he was tragically killed so that stopped his career. People keep doing this to themselves with Dre when they can just move on. Social media got to get these jokes off which helps him, people rather talk about Dre not rapping than the rappers that actually dropped rap music lol. I can count on one hand how many posts I’ve seen about the Wayne and 2 Chains album.

Sassy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I found this to be interesting that he took ayahuasca. Reading this, it makes sense why the song titles are what they are lol. I also noticed his flute album is in 432hz frequency.

"I was actually in Hawaii and it was my second night of the first time I'd ever taken ayahuasca. We did it like a three-night kind of phase," he shared. "The first night was inviting and beautiful and the most powerful love and connection with all things I've ever felt in my life. The second night was different and everybody knows that aya will do you that way. The second night my stomach was hurting, my mouth contorted like a panther and I actually turned into a panther. And I was doing like GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR—like, that kind of thing."

Last edited:

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is stinkin thinkin because it suggests that you have to rap about kiddie/stupid shyt to rap...you really don't, especially when you're someone as tenured and respected as Dre. People 35+ still listen to rap music, believe me...you can rap about adult things as long as it's executed properly and the music is fire, the people will flock...even the youngins who just like good music.

I been off rap kinda for like 15 years now, smh, everything I know regarding the music and the tea and shyt is 1000% from The Booth...and my kid, I don't even have a streaming service...so generally grown people may not be as invested in this stuff as we were as kids...but let somebody drop some fire adult content-laden shyt, I'm all over it ASAP, first day. Marriage, Divorce, Teen children, Lifestyle now, Investing/Career, Reflecting, Hobbies, etc... There's a million and one things you can rap about that aren't money, girls, violence, partying...dudes are just lazy.