Andre 3000 GQ Video Interview: “sometimes it feels inauthentic for me to rap because I don’t have anything to talk about in that way.”

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Shows how one dimensional he is a rapper. I think the game is missing mature rap; family, health, aging, etc.
Lol, what?

Nothing about what he said indicates being one dimensional. It seems he just doesn’t think the things he experiences are what people what to listen to, and he has always rapped about his experiences, direct or indirect. I’m also if the opinion that this USUALLY results in better and more timeless music.

His discography from start to end to should prove that he is, in fact, not one dimensional.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Yeah like he HAS to rap about young nikka shyt. He hadn't really done it since Southernplayalistic album anyway. His later rap music was all on some evolved, grown man shyt.

Facts. I'd respect it more if he'd just say I don't want to rap anymore or the game ain't in em no mo on some Cutty from The Wire shyt. But don't pontificate about u trying, topics hard to come by, etc lol

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Lol, what?

Nothing about what he said indicates being one dimensional. It seems he just doesn’t think the things he experiences are what people what to listen to, and he has always rapped about his experiences, direct or indirect. I’m also if the opinion that this USUALLY results in better and more timeless music.

His discography from start to end to should prove that he is, in fact, not one dimensional.
In the context that he doesn’t think he has anything cool to share with listeners in regards to rap. It seems like he only thinks youthful matters are cool enough to rap about that. That’s one dimensional to me.

Iverson_64

Superstar
Daps
I like Andre but stuff like this is why it feels almost criminal to rank him above Big Boi.

Both are equally great emcees but at least Big Boi proved that he could drop quality music outside Outkast(Sir Lucious, Big Grams, The Big Sleep is Over).

I also respect how Big Boi knows his limits. Big Boi experiments as much as Andre but the difference is that Big Boi will allow true vocalists like Sleepy Brown and Cee Lo to collab with him and true musicians via Organized Noize or those Indie bands like Phantogram to work with him.

Andre's "I'm more than a rapper" schtick is fine but feels a bit forced when you factor in that he's still most skilled as a lyricist and emcee. As a vocalist, Andre isn't in the same universe as Cee Lo or Sleepy Brown. Love Below was great in part because of the production and Andre's voice being serviceable enough.

And his musicianship is hit or miss too. Class of 3000 was the peak of Andre's musicianship imho. But Look Ma No Hands was awful imho just like the guitar solo on Sixteen. That clarinet solo was out of tune for the whole 17 minutes and James Blake did a lot of heavy lifting on that track.

I know people are gonna say "There's more to music than rap" and I agree. I applaud rappers who step outside the bubble. But Andre kept us waiting for 1 measly rap album or, hell, even rap EP for damn near 2 decades and never delivered on it while Big Boi dropped 5 projects post Outkast.

Either way, I'll still check out the album and I'll likely enjoy it for what it is since I'm a Jazz guy myself. Andre's still a great artist either way but I sometimes think people love the idea of Andre more than the actual artist.