Andre 3000 GQ Video Interview: “sometimes it feels inauthentic for me to rap because I don’t have anything to talk about in that way.”

Pazzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What is an artist? You make the art. The art doesnt make you. To me, it bothers me that people in general dont know what an artist is. art doesnt have to be about real life shyt. I think dre is failing victim to the same shyt he was fighting against in terms of understanding the power and responsibility of being an artist and the freedom of an artist to be creative.

"Whoever said I had to do what I said on my records"-melo from P.A.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
What's funny is Dre inadvertently highlighted the reason why the genre feels stagnant. Some people feel like there is only a few subjects you can rap about. It'll never grow and mature if it stays in a box like that.
I'm imagining every painting being photo realistic, because artists feel like doing something abstract would be inauthentic to their craft
Its stupid

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Facts. I'd respect it more if he'd just say I don't want to rap anymore or the game ain't in em no mo on some Cutty from The Wire shyt. But don't pontificate about u trying, topics hard to come by, etc lol
He admits there's things in his life he can rap about, but do fans want to hear that? When you know folks don't want to hear what you got to say, the smart man keeps his mouth shut. Which seems to be what dude is doing. Its hard to find fault in that.

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
I actually think it would be cool if he did rap about his bad eyesight and getting a colonoscopy with his humor mixed :manny:

older heads would appreciate someone speaking for them, would even give some insight to the younger heads what happens when you get older.

Idk just some perspective.

unlike Phonte (unfortunately), 3K has always had a cool factor and aesthetic to where people will listen.

Isn’t this what Nas is doing with his KD series also? His reasoning makes no sense

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Andre 3000 is another one of those artists that people consider the goat because it's just known as a general truth. Nobody listens to his old music

:yeshrug:

Most of these people that claim he is one of the greatest can't even recite one of his verses outside of Int'l Players Anthem. He is one of the most overrated rappers we have seen and he doesn't even rap.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Remember when popular artists use to write songs specifically for music soundtracks? Like Bobby Brown did that ghostbusters song?
i think attitudes like this are why we don't get stuff like that anymore.

36 mafia literally won an oscar for writing a song in character as a pimp from hustle and flow. But somehow the successful trend went away,

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
He admits there's things in his life he can rap about, but do fans want to hear that? When you know folks don't want to hear what you got to say, the smart man keeps his mouth shut. Which seems to be what dude is doing. Its hard to find fault in that.
He made his own assumptions that we don't want to hear what he got to say. It ain't like he dropped something and it bricked, he never gave the people a chance to form their own opinions. I just think after all these years and hype he got cold feet.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
:wow: Mans fitting to unite hip hop more ways than one :mjgrin:

mortimer-randolph.gif

200w.gif

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
lmao nikkas mad cuz I'm sick of Andre whining about not wanting to rap for like 15-20 years.

I'm not saying I'm entitled to hear him rap, just that almost any and everything I hear about him over that time period is him implying that he hates rap and has nothing to rap about because he's such and such an age. Ain't nobody trying to stop him from 'evolving' into a snake charmer or whatever tf he wanna be.