American Cities Are Ugly

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
You jealous cause you from upstate and I’m from the south side of Chicago? nikka I’m literally just landing coming back from Jamaica where I was in the slums too. You mad cause I can go anywhere I want in the world, and you a scary safe ass nikka? Is that why your hoe ass is begging for my attention? Cause you jealous of me? Well nikka you can never be me so deal with it
Why were you in the slums in Jamaica?

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, so many damn hills lol.

I just love those "convenient" cities. We don't have many in the Midwest where you can step outside at anytime of the night and walk somewhere and get what you want. It's kind of why I understand why NYC is as expensive as it is. On top of being the #1 city, you really don't need a car from what a lot of ppl say. NYC and SF are the next 2 cities I have to at least spend a full week in
NYC is partially expensive because great gran children of the people who built aformentioned suburbia realize how trash their surroundings are and don't mind moving to the city and paying $3,000 a month for a studio in Manhattan just so they can feel the energy of NYC. The irony of that is never lost on me

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
Yea I think nyc Jersey Philly might be one not the few places where suburbs have legit train service. So if you live in Hempstead Long Island by the railroad you don’t need a car.
Yeah your right you can hop on NJ transit and take it to the outer metro or into the city then hop on the subway.(NYC) GOAT transit in North America

raoulduke187

All Star
Daps
yeap

the older I get, the more I get the urge to move the fukk away and live in some little village with a population of like 30 people:yeshrug:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I like that america is at least trying to make mini cities in the suburbs. Office parks with medium and low rise apartments. That’s a start all tho meaningless if transit isn’t addressed.
where?

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Not Just Bikes breaks down all the reasons why this happened (post-WWII suburbanization, Modern architecture, zoning laws, car dependency, freeways, etc…)

It’s a complex issue. There are a bunch of reason why American cities suck now (and suburbs for that matter).

Not just bikes and a couple other channels are a few of my favorites on this topic. Of course American cities suck. The single family zoning, parking minimums, setbacks, etc., have destroyed American cities. Only the legacy cities that were already established didn’t go to far with this but even they have some problems.

The Texas cities in particular thought it was a good idea to choke their downtowns away from the rest of the cities by building freeways around them. Stupid urban planning. Now they are spending billions wanting or trying to fix that.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
8 lane roads? Do you mean both directions combined or is this some "everything is bigger in Texas" shyt?
I live right outside of Jacksonville and depending on the highway you’re on, there’s legit like 7-8 lanes on each side, if you include the express lanes

Last edited:

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Lifestyle centers. You pretty much see them in many suburbs. They might the name like town centers. It's still faux urbanism like someone else said because you have to drive everywhere but it's better than a gigantic strip mall.

one of the most popular ones in the DC area is the Reston Town Center.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Just soulless 4 to 8 lane roads with a la carte selection of whatever stand alone fast food chain/dollar store/auto parts store/gas station/you want with massive sized parking lots for way to many strip malls.
No unique architecture at all. This is for literally 95% of the USA cities, especially the so called sunbelt :scust:It's a stretch go even call them cities in a sense more like drive thrus with people living in em.

The few cities that don't prescribed to the soulless parking lot look most American cities choose are shot out and delapilitated in large sections, think Philadelphia, Baltimore, and old Newark.

*This does not apply to New York City, D.C, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, Chicago or San Francisco.*

Miami you don't get a pass your not fooling anyone with South Beach so no you didn't make the list.

Just had to get that off my chest have a great Sunday folks

Facts.

All the cities you listed actually feel like cities to me.

Cities like Tampa Bay feel like suburbs with some random tall buildings thrown in the center of the city. If Tampa Bay was magically placed in Maryland it would be called Montgomery county.