America will NEVER be for black people. EVER.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
A subject that is rarely talked about is the lack of cohesion between African Americans and Black immigrant groups. In my community work and various travels, I've noticed there are not only alot of differences between us, but there is also mistrust and a misguided dislike of each other. I honestly believe that we need some kind of serious dialogue on this to throw away the negative perceptions that each group has of each other.

I agree....it's like we're all fighting the same fight...face the same struggles...why should we view each other so differently and negatively?

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
Wow, hold up here. I said nothing in my post regarding the history of this country, and this is directed at bdizzle too. That's a completely different subject that I don't want to be baited into.

All I stated was that in my experience from birth(1991) that I haven't been oppressed by my skin color in this country to the degree that it prevented me from acquiring a good education, job, or housing. Tbh, I was a pretty shyt student in HS, and I never took the SATs. Went to a community college for CS and kept my GPA higher than 3.0, and off that alone I got into a really good 4 yr college. I would define that as a fair "system" imo. Tbh, I am sure me being black actually helped my situation some. My point is this, I am just not seeing the evidence that proves its impossible for a black man to have a quality life in this country, and I honestly feel that its an insult when ppl today try to imply that our conditions in this country is on par with what our ancestors were experiencing...that's ludicrous.

Also, I have no comment on your talking-point about the incarceration rates for black males in this country.
Who the fukk said that:dahell:? No one with any sense would compare outright enslavement and the total lack of rights to oppression.
You've heard new slaves right? Well that's exactly my point, this system is replacing slavery with mass incarceration. For one if you've never had any foul interactions with police consider yourself blessed, but saying you didn't have it bad so black people by extension also don't have it that bad is poor logic. Anecdotal evidence like that contradicts the many other millions who get shyt on everyday. Just be thankful that you haven't been directly fukked by white supremacy like everyone else. Your view is myopic, sure you got a good job, imagine how many others you were turned down for because your name wasn't white enough

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
I agree....it's like we're all fighting the same fight...face the same struggles...why should we view each other so differently and negatively?
For one a lot of African immigrants view african americans as lazy or uneducated, simply because they have grinded incredibly hard just to get to this country and nikkas still complain about tryna leave the hood. Not validating it but being a child of african immigrants i understand to some extent. But like @bdizzle said I think it's overplayed, I went to Ghana and I sounded and looked like an American, and people showed me love so:yeshrug:

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Like I said...receipts breh. Otherwise this is some fukkshyt from you just lying out of your ass when I know myself I did not dap that comment! What the fukk is wrong with you man? Why are you gonna lie to make me look bad?

That's some bullshyt from you man...produce this proof I dapped that...screen shot or otherwise.

You cant...cause it doesn't exist. Man go fukk yourself. You condescending elitist pompous bitter jealous piece of shyt.

You're not worth me lying on. You'll slip up again. You always do. And you're a failure of a black male. I'd never be jealous of you. Get yourself together breh. Til then you got the juice now.

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
A subject that is rarely talked about is the lack of cohesion between African Americans and Black immigrant groups. In my community work and various travels, I've noticed there are not only alot of differences between us, but there is also mistrust and a misguided dislike of each other. I honestly believe that we need some kind of serious dialogue on this to throw away the negative perceptions that each group has of each other.

I see it on here, I don't really say much about it unless it's really wild. Some of those guilty are amongst us and are even contributing to this thread. :mjpls:

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Personally, I've never seen this lack of cohesion in my life. One of my best friends is Nigerian and I'm mad cool with people from Uganda, Kenya, and Ghana. I have seen issues between Haitians and Jamaicans though (but I think that has more to do with how Haiti has been represented after the Haitian Revolution than anything else).
I have had experiences on both sides. I've had African and Carribean brothas and sistas embrace me. And it even got to the point where my African homie put me up in house last summer when I visited Uganda for the first time. So I have nothing but love for everyone from the Diaspora to the continent.

But I've also experienced the other side of the coin through my community work and social interactions where I've seen first hand the stances that alot of African and Carribbean family take on African American social and political issues. I can't keep count of the many times I've had African and Carribbeans brehs deny institutional racism and inequality that African Americans face in this country simply because they don't experience it first hand. I can't count how many times I would hear the same racist shyt white people say come of out the mouths of African and Carribbean brehs. A good number of them don't necessarily understand the shyt African Americans have had to go through in this country historically up until today. And don't get me started on the negative perceptions that they hold when it comes African Americans. There are legitimate beefs between both groups here man.

Years ago in my city there was a proposal brought forward that would give African American business owners and developers grant money to revitalize black neighborhoods and leaders from the immigrant community opposed the idea because they didn't like the idea of only African Americans getting that grant money at the expense of non-blacks. It was as if they didn't realize that this would be a win for them as well because they are black people but they didn't see it that way. Eventually the proposal was shot down and never got off the ground after that. This was nearly 7 years ago and instead of getting urban development with black business owners in it's place, we get gentrification instead that has the opposite effect on poor communities. There is a much needed dialogue on the subject in my opinion but it has to be between all of us and not just one of us. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
Its not tribalism to say that you have your own distinct culture. Its tribalism when you use it to discriminate. Apparently every other Black group can have ethnic pride except African Americans because you have Jamaicans, Nigerians, etc claiming it when it is convenient for them.

L?

Africa and its inhabitants are 1 giant 500 year L :dead:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/asians-physically-abusing-nigerians-in-nigeria-sad.283825/page-4

:mjpls:

Daps
Reppin
VOID
You're not worth me lying on. You'll slip up again. You always do. And you're a failure of a black male. I'd never be jealous of you. Get yourself together breh. Til then you got the juice now.

How dare you speak to me this way...you really have some goddamn nerve.

Again...fukk you and never ever quote me again bytch. Again ...If this was real life I'd fukking knock you out and have you leaking like a faucet on the fukking sidewalk. I know what your fukking ugly mug looks like too...lol.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
I have had experiences on both sides. I've had African and Carribean brothas and sistas embrace me. And it even got to the point where my African homie put me up in house last summer when I visited Uganda for the first time. So I have nothing but love for everyone from the Diaspora to the continent.

But I've also experienced the other side of the coin through my community work and social interactions where I've seen first hand the stances that alot of African and Carribbean family take on African American social and political issues. I can't keep count of the many times I've had African and Carribbeans brehs deny institutional racism and inequality that African Americans face in this country simply because they don't experience it first hand. I can't count how many times I would hear the same racist shyt white people say come of out the mouths of African and Carribbean brehs. A good number of them don't necessarily understand the shyt African Americans have had to go through in this country historically up until today. And don't get me started on the negative perceptions that they hold when it comes African Americans. There are legitimate beefs between both groups here man.

Years ago in my city there was a proposal brought forward that would give African American business owners and developers grant money to revitalize black neighborhoods and leaders from the immigrant community opposed the idea because they didn't like the idea of only African Americans getting that grant money at the expense of non-blacks. It was as if they didn't realize that this would be a win for them as well because they are black people but they didn't see it that way. Eventually the proposal was shot down and never got off the ground after that. This was nearly 7 years ago and instead of getting urban development with black business owners in it's place, we get gentrification instead that has the opposite effect on poor communities. There is a much needed dialogue on the subject in my opinion but it has to be between all of us and not just one of us. That's just my opinion.

That's because black Americans have the luxury of being natives, Africans don't - they create their own ethnic organizations. That's a struggle I've had as a kid being that I felt native born, but I had direct lineage to Africa through my mother. There's a huge misunderstanding there because there are refugees, and there are native borns. Those refugees faced a different struggle, starvation and poverty and essentially running away from their own countries and living in camps due to civil war. Black Americans face systemic racism. Even Latin Americans. There's even differences between blacks of the New World (ex. Afro - Latinos, Afro Carribeans, African Americans).