Am I A Hater For Rolling My Eyes At These Zelda Reviews?

Ze Pequeno

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Lost Angels
Zelda is as much about story as Mario. The story is just an excuse for the gameplay. At it's best Zelda will only ever really have a serviceable story because it's not about story.

These last 2 games are a sandbox you're put in with a range of tools and the developer is like "let's see what you can do with this."
What are you smoking? Zelda is all about story. OOT and Majoras Mask might be top 10 as far as story goes in video games. I wasn't a fan of Breath of the Wild. Zelda is my favorite franchise of all time but these reviewers are buggin

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
He is absolutely right. This game looks not much different then BOTW which came out 6 years ago. Granted given the switch has never had a pro or successor yet this doesn't come as a surprise.

Still games like Tears and Xenoblade 3 perform really well given the hardware they are on. Which is what I assume is what reviewers base their scores on only the software. Optimization for those games is great given the hardware. Compared to Jedi Survivor which we all know launched with issues on next-gen hardware and pc.

Should the hardware be added to the equation when giving review scores? Hard to say imo. Because the software itself isn't an issue if it is using the hardware to its full capacity. No question it is annoying that the Switch is severely behind in terms of power from the other 2.
But the games performance isn’t that great either.

And hardware is never taken into account when other games are dinged/praised for visuals/performance.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
But the games performance isn’t that great either.

And hardware is never taken into account when other games are dinged/praised for visuals/performance.
I mean it is pretty standard of first party switch games. 720P and near 30 FPS.

Obviously pretty bad when compared to current gen, but again given the hardware that it is on, it performs well.

Crayola Coyote

Superstar
Daps
I was just about to say Nintendo will get away with PS2 graphics just because everyone loves the Māori, Zelda and Pokémon title. :camby:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@The Mad Titan favorite internet content creator throwing gas on the fire

You been posting his content a lot to say I'm a fan:sas1:

As far as visuals, what was the last Nintendo 1st party game where the visuals blew you away?:jbhmm: Or even was a determining factor in the purchase.

Nintendo hasn't played that game since the GameCube and they've been better for it.

Playstation, PC and Xbox whole shtick is graphics options, and customization.

Y'all won't even play most these games attention on these "high end consoles" if they don't look visually striking in some way.

Y'all was in the red fall thread crying about how 30fps is unacceptable, and just like I said most of y'all got Zelda and playing it at 24 fps and 900p having a BLAST :mjlol:

When it boils down to it.

Gameplay will usually get you a 10/10 if you focus on that 1st and do the best you can in other areas.

Nintendo understands this.

Gameplay>>>>>>

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

As far as visuals, what was the last Nintendo 1st party game where the visuals blew you away?:jbhmm: Or even was a determining factor in the purchase.

Nintendo hasn't played that game since the GameCube and they've been better for it.

Y'all won't even play most these games attention on these "high end consoles" if they don't look visually striking in some way.

Y'all was in the red fall thread crying about how 30fps is unacceptable, and just like I said most of y'all got Zelda and playing it at 24 fps and 900p having a BLAST :mjlol:

Gameplay will usually get you a 10/10 if you focus on that 1st and do the best you can in other areas.

Gameplay>>>>>>
It’s not even about visuals blowing you away.

The game actively looks bad. Like playing a PC game that your PC damn sure can’t handle so you turn to extremely low settings and limp to an “acceptable” framerate.

I’m all for games with simple/stylistic graphics but this game just looks bad.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Gameplay>>>>>>
I dont thnk the argument was ever graphics > gameplay though

You’re literally making up your own arguments. Redfall got scrutiny because it was marketed as being a 60fps title on the worlds most powerful console, i mean thats all even before everyone found out the actual game wasn’t good on top of all that.

Like I’ve always said the Nintendo switch is a handheld first and an outdated one at that. To say no one in the zelda thread has complained about how terrible the switch hardware is would be a lie.

A game has to be very fukking good for people to ignore its bad performance and graphic options and zelda is one of the rare few. Now let something like spider-man 2 or starfield come out not having performance options and standard graphical settings and it will be rightfully scrutinized

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It’s not even about visuals blowing you away.

The game actively looks bad. Like playing a PC game that your PC damn sure can’t handle so you turn to extremely low settings and limp to an “acceptable” framerate.

I’m all for games with simple/stylistic graphics but this game just looks bad.
I can't really argue it because I haven't been watching videos and haven't played it. If it doesn't look worse than BOTW then i don't really see the problem, botw art style fit the game and didn't bother me one bit. If it looks worse :sadcam:

Either way it's been shown when a game is captivating enough graphics can look like whatever almost and it'll get 10/10 or highly favorable reviews and praise.

Fornite
Dark souls 1&2
Minecraft
all come to mind quick.

Not saying games that look like bad should be 10's but a lot of time how a game looks doesn't matter hardly at all once you are locked in.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I can't really argue it because I haven't been watching videos and haven't played it. If it doesn't look worse than BOTW then i don't really see the problem, botw art style fit the game and didn't bother me one bit. If it looks worse :sadcam:

Either way it's been shown when a game is captivating enough graphics can look like whatever almost and it'll get 10/10 or highly favorable reviews and praise.

Fornite
Dark souls 1&2
Minecraft
all come to mind quick.

Not saying games that look like bad should be 10's but a lot of time how a game looks doesn't matter hardly at all once you are locked in.
It doesn’t look “worse” than Botw. It’s just lots of years later and it doesn’t look better.

The games you mentioned here are not known for their graphics, but they don’t look actively bad. Like look at the pic in the tweet gizmo posted. Shadows are fukked, textures and water almost look gamecube level.

It’s even worse blown up on a big oled TV. Shimmering is crazy, and the framerate is obviously bad.

I’m not a graphics person at all, but this shyt is distracting to play how it is.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
:manny: I can't give something 10/10, only contained 3 hours of actual/meaningful content.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I dont thnk the argument was ever graphics > gameplay though
You say that until a game that isn't getting universal praise doesn't look as good as you think it should.:ufdup: I also never said that is something yall said, it's just how you behave when other exclusive titles don't have "Triple A graphics" yall put emphasis heavily on graphics before saying if a game looks fun. Especially you Triple A game hunters :mjpls:

You’re literally making up your own arguments. Redfall got scrutiny because it was marketed as being a 60fps title on the worlds most powerful console, i mean thats all even before everyone found out the actual game wasn’t good on top of all that.
I never mention the game being good or bad, I was always in that thread speaking on how people saying 60 is the new standard only speak for a minority of internet folks and most people don't care about a game not being 60fps that aren't hardcore.
I also mentioned how most of yall would be right there playing zelda under 30 fps and loving the game because when it all boils down 60 fps isn't make or break yet like yall wanted to pretend it was for redfall.

Like I’ve always said the Nintendo switch is a handheld first and an outdated one at that. To say no one in the zelda thread has complained about how terrible the switch hardware is would be a lie.

A game has to be very fukking good for people to ignore its bad performance and graphic options and zelda is one of the rare few. Now let something like spider-man 2 or starfield come out not having performance options and standard graphical settings and it will be rightfully scrutinized
Regardless of what you want to call it or how you feel about it. If you complained about 30 fps, and 720p and then bought zelda day one and ended up loving it over all.

:manny: That's on you.

Sounds like nintendo did there job well is what it sounds like to me.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You say that until a game that isn't getting universal praise doesn't look as good as you think it should.:ufdup: I also never said that is something yall said, it's just how you behave when other exclusive titles don't have "Triple A graphics" yall put emphasis heavily on graphics before saying if a game looks fun. Especially you Triple A game hunters

Thats not true at all. But considering stuff like hi fi rush, pentiment and grounded AAA is categorically wrong.

never mention the game being good or bad, I was always in that thread speaking on how people saying 60 is the new standard only speak for a minority of internet folks and most people don't care about a game not being 60fps that aren't hardcore.
I also mentioned how most of yall would be right there playing zelda under 30 fps and loving the game because when it all boils down 60 fps isn't make or break yet like yall wanted to pretend it was for redfall.

The problem with Redfall was its false advertising and microsoft execs like Aaron Greenberg beating his chest that 60 is going to be the standard. Not only that but the game looks worse than deathloop and even dishonored 2 in every sense of the word. Sorry, but not all platforms are built the same with the same expectations. Redfall shouldn’t look AND perform the way it does for a full priced AAA title on current gen hardware, thats just facts. Something went wrong there, you can’t compare that game to zelda.

Regardless of what you want to call it or how you feel about it. If you complained about 30 fps, and 720p and then bought zelda day one and ended up loving it over all.

:manny: That's on you.

Yes, nintendo did their job by setting expectations for their audience/buyers correctly. They showed a 30fps 720p game and thats what they delivered, they never promised anything else.

The fact that Zelda on its platform still looks and performs better than Redfall is another dead giveaway that game has huge issues. I haven’t encounter one bug or glitch in zelda yet

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It doesn’t look “worse” than Botw. It’s just lots of years later and it doesn’t look better.

The games you mentioned here are not known for their graphics, but they don’t look actively bad. Like look at the pic in the tweet gizmo posted. Shadows are fukked, textures and water almost look gamecube level.

It’s even worse blown up on a big oled TV. Shimmering is crazy, and the framerate is obviously bad.

I’m not a graphics person at all, but this shyt is distracting to play how it is.
BOTW def looked like that screen cap at times depending on the time of day, area and what was on screen. Tbh as long as it holds up visually as well as botw that's all I personally expected out of the switch and the game, and once I saw from the previews how they basically doubled up on things and then some I was just hoping the game wasn't a stuttering mess.

The switch is def showing its age but I didn't really expect any crazy of even substantial graphically upgrades knowing what the switch hardware is.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thats not true at all. But considering stuff like hi fi rush, pentiment and grounded AAA is categorically wrong.

The problem with Redfall was its false advertising and microsoft execs like Aaron Greenberg beating his chest that 60 is going to be the standard. Not only that but the game looks worse than deathloop and even dishonored 2 in every sense of the word. Sorry, but not all platforms are built the same with the same expectations. Redfall shouldn’t look AND perform the way it does for a full priced AAA title on current gen hardware, thats just facts. Something went wrong there, you can’t compare that game to zelda.

Yes, nintendo did their job by setting expectations for their audience/buyers correctly. They showed a 30fps 720p game and thats what they delivered, they never promised anything else.

The fact that Zelda on its platform still looks and performs better than Redfall is another dead giveaway that game has huge issues. I haven’t encounter one bug or glitch in zelda yet
This whole setting expectation discussion you trying to use wasn't huge part of the thread and especially not initially. It was mostly a discussion around xbox messing up studios and 30 fps being unacceptable and how 60 is the standard. Later on the talk of misleading advertisement also became a hot topic. I never spoke on that :manny: I spoke directly at toward people saying how 30 fps is unacceptable and how it'll ruin the game or they can't go back to playing 30 fps.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This whole setting expectation discussion you trying to use wasn't huge part of the thread and especially not initially. It was mostly a discussion around xbox messing up studios and 30 fps being unacceptable and how 60 is the standard. Later on the talk of misleading advertisement also became a hot topic. I never spoke on that :manny: I spoke directly at toward people saying how 30 fps is unacceptable and how it'll ruin the game or they can't go back to playing 30 fps.

It was one red flag after another with that game, the fact that it ended up the way that it did is the reason that thread exists