Am I A Hater For Rolling My Eyes At These Zelda Reviews?

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Again, just like I said, the "eww, those games are for kids" energy can't help but reveal itself.

Newsflash my guy, whether a game is all ages or 16+, they're all toys at the end of the day. Period.

Nobody said the game is hard but you know what is hard? Leaning on and trusting player imagination when cues are few and far between.
That's why Nintendo's games are so beloved.
Not because they're hard but due to the fact that their best ones are almost always stuffed to overflowing with imaginative ideas and concepts.

I just watched some Jedi Survivor gameplay and once again, it was just a prettier version of what we've been playing for decades now.

Cool but the cues were everywhere and constant, whereas Nintendo just drops you in a world, gives you some tools and says go buckwild.

And you wonder why the reviewers are geeked, when so much of everything else is just prettier pieces of rote rubbish?
TOTK isn't gonna be a grueling game, but for many it will be extremely rewarding because it puts so much trust in the players imagination and thought process, so make peace with it, or just understand the concept of risk vs reward.

Other games that leaned hard into player trust and imagination; Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock, Prey and things like Dwarf Fortress.

See the trend?

:heh: you got it breh

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
oprah-you-mad.gif

GOAT series got nikkas in their feelings. Breath of the Wild is my favorite game of all time and once I'm done with this, I'm sure it will surpass that game. The thing that gets lost or ignored in this case is that we are hard on this series. It's light on story, hell, the main protagonist doesn't talk. Gameplay and level design are hallmarks of Zelda. Ideas are born out of functionality. Zelda does not really do superfluous gameplay. I've never been in a Zelda game and felt like I was grinding to get stronger or something. I can't count how many times I played BOTW and went, hmm, that was pretty damn clever and does not come with a lot of tropes. It's the small things like Link humming when cooking a meal or climbing to the highest of peaks and seeing clear across the entire world because the draw distance is amazing. A lot of us just get lost in Hyrule as every trip through the map is it's own adventure and everything is a playground to be explored. shyt, we get nervous when a new Zelda comes out because it's been so consistently stellar. The bar is high and we will critique it because we don't want the dream of a bad Zelda to come to reality. Breh, it just might not be for you but for what Zelda sets out to do, it's gaming nirvana.
This man said Link humming :snoop: High-key proving OP's point.

With that said I would be inclined to agree if this was about anything other than BOTW/TOTK. BOTW was the first Zelda game to ever live up to the hype to me. Otherwise Zelda is the single most overrated franchise of all time across all mediums. They been getting passes for decades on barebone wack stories and formulaic design that is only spiced up by some single gimmick. "Well yes in this one you go through a fire dungeon, ice dungeon, water dungeon etc but this time you can turn into a wolf! :krs: " "this time you can turn small in some specific sections :krs:" "this time there are some motion controls! :krs:"

The games weren't that amazing to me even as a kid but BOTW gameplay really deserves all the praise. I had lots of fun

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I own botw and it was okay to me.. maybe 7.5 out of 10. My son ain't like it either. Since I didn't finish this, I wonder if this one would change my mind 🤔

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I own botw and it was okay to me.. maybe 7.5 out of 10. My son ain't like it either. Since I didn't finish this, I wonder if this one would change my mind 🤔

It won’t. I wasn’t huge on botw and this is more of the same at the core. I’m still playing through but don’t buy if you want a different experience.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Some people just like being the contrarian. Can't be helped. The overwhelming majority of the gaming community that rarely unites on anything is unified on this so these folks wanna shout from the hilltops everyone else is wrong.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I mean, Elden Ring us better in any possible way it would not be a competition, its also much better than TOTK by the way.

Debatable.

I love elden ring, but theres much more to do in ToTK open world than just kill shyt also

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I mean, Elden Ring us better in any possible way it would not be a competition, its also much better than TOTK by the way.

Elden Ring is GOTG so far. I've put 3-400 hours into that shyt.

The more I play this TOTK the more I'm lowering my personal score lol. The world is big yes...but I don't really have the compulsion to just run around doing meaningless shyt. Elden Ring did the open world right because around every corner it could be some ill boss, spell, weapon, etc.

I'm not getting that feeling with totk so far. maybe it'll get better.