After Sunday we need to decide what The Film Room’s GOAT prestige drama tv show is (poll ends FRIDAY)

Choose TWO. Your GOAT modern prestige drama series. (Tiers discussion below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
yall buggin. GoT was moving the entire media culture at the time and was probably the most 'appointment viewing' show on that entire list, and I didn't even watch then, i was just left out of the wave.

Game of thrones has to be pantheon for real
No, I'm not buggin'. And are we ranking these shows off of narrative structure or cultural impact? :dahell:

Like, I don't care about how it moved the entire media culture when the last two (shyt, THREE) seasons fell of a cliff on the writing side. It straight up doesn't belong with those other shows off that alone.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yall buggin. GoT was moving the entire media culture at the time and was probably the most 'appointment viewing' show on that entire list, and I didn't even watch then, i was just left out of the wave.

The last season had material problems but GoT changed the entire industry of big budget prestige appointment tv.

Game of thrones has to be pantheon for real
in that case cheers, the office, big bang theory, seinfeld anything that was popular should be on the list.

GoT fell off hardcore, most people recognize it, it's not pantheon.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
No, I'm not buggin'. And are we ranking these shows off of narrative structure or cultural impact? :dahell:

Like, I don't care about how it moved the entire media culture when the last two (shyt, THREE) seasons fell of a cliff on the writing side. It straight up doesn't belong with those other shows off that alone.
i hear you, respectfully disagree, and honestly its borderline irrelevant because when the poll is made its still top 14 even with that season :manny:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
i agree it should be further down on your list too

(ozarks as well)
i think you're penalizing shows with 'one bad season' too harshly. There are almost NO dramas with no bad season. Boardwalk empire's bad season does not bring it down an entire letter grade...as a show it was still fire. And Ozark...that show was just fukkin good breh

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You are going to want to rethink this. Yes, Justified is good enough to drop everything else in your current lineup.

ppl have posted a lot of clips from that show and I still have yet to see anything that’s compelled me to want to watch it…not saying that means it’s not a good show but I need to see something that compels me to want to invest the time it’s going to take to go thru 6 seasons of television…with a lot of shows that I jumped on late or revisited after I bailed early in the series there was usually a scene or two that made me say ok damn lemme go (back) and watch this

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
If y'all open it up to Sci Fi, these were revolutionary to me
  • Utopia - The BBC version, not the Amazon bs
  • Black Mirror - The BBC episodes, not the Netflix BS
  • American Gods - Starz and Unfinished
It's a shame that Orphan Black was not that good of a show, despite having Tatiana. It could have had that X-Files, Rubicon, Millenium (which predates Mindhunter as a show about an FBI profiler) vibe. Instead it was more like Warehouse 13, not even Fringe.

And Hannibal (NBC) - that show was great...but same dude from Am. Gods didn't finish this either.

Good topic

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:mjlol: @ sons of anarchy being on any list outside of the “fukkery” list
Sons of Anarchy had some incredible casting but def falls into the

DfZz.gif

category

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
If y'all open it up to Sci Fi, these were revolutionary to me
  • Utopia - The BBC version, not the Amazon bs
  • Black Mirror - The BBC episodes, not the Netflix BS
  • American Gods - Starz and Unfinished
It's a shame that Orphan Black was not that good of a show, despite having Tatiana. It could have had that X-Files, Rubicon, Millenium (which predates Mindhunter as a show about an FBI profiler) vibe. Instead it was more like Warehouse 13, not even Fringe.

And Hannibal (NBC) - that show was great...but same dude from Am. Gods didn't finish this either.

Good topic
Black Mirror and Hannibal the only ones I could see adding to this list.

I fully get people being soured on Game of Thrones. That said, that show is the last, and also in the running for the biggest, water cooler show of all time. That's why I brought up Lost before. Shows that everyone (for the most part, before streaming) watched at the same time and couldn't wait to talk about to their coworkers, friends and, fam the next day. Their impact is far too much to ignore.

Justified deserves mention. Some of the best dialogue ever (not sure it's seeing Deadwood, doe). There's shows/anthologies that have been mentioned that just can't compete because of length, pause, as well.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Game of Thrones is the ultimate case of blowing it.

The final 3 1/4 episodes are so bad it prevents it from even being top ten. It's easily worse than any downfall a decent Showtime series has and almost makes the show pointless to watch for newcomers.

I binged it last year and that ending made me mad all over again. And I don't usually care about shyt like that.

Anyway, answer is The Wire. It'll always be The Wire. I'm big on Better Call Saul for the cinematography and high level acting. Leftovers had 2 final seasons that can't be replicated imo, but the first season is just okay. Mad Men was amazing too.

I do think highly of Succession just because it's a black comedy at heart. It's hard to intertwine what is basically a parody with serious drama. No other show does it that well, even Barry which is more of a straight comedy with suspense.

Last edited: