After Sunday we need to decide what The Film Room’s GOAT prestige drama tv show is (poll ends FRIDAY)

Choose TWO. Your GOAT modern prestige drama series. (Tiers discussion below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
I think it was meant to be bleak and depressing, Vito, Artie, and Eugene's subplots along with Tony in the hospital makes season 6 one of my favorites.
Yea, I enjoyed those plots as well. But the whole time im watching, I was just stunned by how the hell Tony have a gambling addiction all this time. Especially with how much money they showed Tony having around the house and stuff.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

In regards to Sopranos, am I tripping or that last season was kinda meh breh. I binged it and it seems like Tony being in debt like that was rushed and came outta no where. They never showed Tony having a gambling problem like that either.
Thats Chasing It. Season 6B has an argument for being the best season despite that episode. Look at this lineup of the Final 9

1.Sopranos Home Movies(convo on boat about not hearing death when it claims you to foreshadow the end of the show, tony bobby fight, Tony makes bobby murder as revenge to take a part of Bobbys soul.

2.Stage 5(Johnny Sac’s death, Phil preparing for war, the final decimation of Tony/Christufuhs bond)

3.Remember When(the nail in juniors mental coffin, Tony almost killing Paulie)

4.Chasing It(weakest episode of the season with Tonys gambling)

5. Walk Like a Man(AJ and Christufuh struggle with their lives, Christufuh realizing hes damned at the end, paulie fukkery beefing with Chrissy)

6. Kennedy and Heidi(Tony snuffs Chrissy, Tony finally realizes high on peyote that hes a piece of shyt)

7. The Second Coming(aj suicide attempt, Tony curb stomps coco, which sets off the war with NY)

8. The Blue Comet(war is official, Bobby death, Sil in a coma, Dr Milfy finally drops Tony as a patient, soprano crew in hiding)

9. Made In America(Phil death, Carlo flips, indictments looming over Tony, Paulie shown alone outside of Satriales when there used to be a whole crew there, Tonys final moment with junior, Tonys cut to black at the diner)

Thats a mean ass lineup

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Narratively......that's how bad those two seasons were, it ruins you thinking about rewatching it. Binging aint gonna fix that, just like if they didnt wait so long wouldnt have made a difference to how those seasons were received.

sometimes it can…there have been a few series that I enjoyed more as a result of binging it bcuz it doesn’t feel as bad while still on a high from watching the other seasons…especially if it’s the person’s first time watching the series…they’ll notice the dip in quality but it won’t feel as significant cuz they’re not watching it in a “vacuum”

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Yea, I enjoyed those plots as well. But the whole time im watching, I was just stunned by how the hell Tony have a gambling addiction all this time. Especially with how much money they showed Tony having around the house and stuff.

I always thought of it being a representation of his diminishing character/morals, losing control of his organization, like when he gambles the money that was meant for Vito's son. It's an allegory for the cultural shift in the 2000's mafia. They never really specific how much money they make or have, I think it's supposed to be fluid in your mind, so the writers are free to manufacture tension when they need to.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Succession gonna have a boost cuz it's new and theres gonna be prisoners of the moment after the finale. gonna be on some
succession-logan-roy-i-will-win-screaming.gif

and my response will be
7b22158f-0845-47e7-bd5f-b77ae31badb2_text.gif

HotBlushingAustraliankelpie-size_restricted.gif

nah…upon a series rewatch I have “succession” as top 3 (only the wire and the sopranos are better imo)…and this season has been flawless…for me to change that the final episode would have to start with ken eating in a restaurant with his siblings and then the screen would have to suddenly go black for the rest of the show…that’s about the only thing that can knock it out of top 3 status…the exploration of the family dynamic is one of the best/most realistic aspects of the show imo…not too many shows get me to analyze the characters to this degree

Last edited:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Oh yea, Justified goes into the Pantheon level. No debating needed :manny:

image-asset.gif
fd969486a4fea2b4af5265a595f1bae5.gif

*throws bullet at dude's chest*
Rayland: "Next one's coming faster"
:wow:
sometimes it can…there have been a few series that I enjoyed more as a result of binging it bcuz it doesn’t feel as bad while still on a high from watching the other seasons…especially if it’s the person’s first time watching the series…they’ll notice the dip in quality but it won’t feel as significant cuz they’re not watching it in a “vacuum”
I agree binging can help with some shows, but GoT aint one because one of the main arc in Dany is that bad. I also imagine seeing how ppl like Varus/LF/Tyrion go from smart/clever to what they are that final season doesnt help either on a binged.
Vikings is another show I will never rewatch(I binged the series last year) because of how those last 2 seasons played out. Straight up filler.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
^^^

I want to watch “justified”…I had it queued when I subscribed to hulu…but 6 seasons is a lot and I’m worried about falling into the trap of watching it out of habit more so than bcuz I like it which is happening to me with this third season of “for all mankind”…sometimes a show wears out its welcome after 2-3 seasons but I’ll still watch it to finish it up…so I’m worried about that happening with “justified”

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Stranger things i considered scifi and if you include that, that opens a big door including xfiles

The others though, yeah, should be considered.
I say we open the door to sci fi because The Expanse deserves to be in one of those top categories.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
^^^

I want to watch “justified”…I had it queued when I subscribed to hulu…but 6 seasons is a lot and I’m worried about falling into the trap of watching it out of habit more so than bcuz I like it which is happening to me with this third season of “for all mankind”…sometimes a show wears out its welcome after 2-3 seasons but I’ll still watch it to finish it up…so I’m worried about that happening with “justified”
Yes you do. I dont think you would have that problem with Justified. Writing on there is that fresh and characters that well written imo. Some have said the first season is rough/slow, but i dont mind. Each season is good as hell, with S4 being the weakest but still good. Then you got Walton Goggins (Shane from The Shield) playing Boyd costarring in it too.

Oh yea, fukking Banshee deserves to be up there as well. This shyt legit of the best action shows I've ever seen, also got some of the best fight scenes in a tv show ever imo.

Ill give you a short breakdown, because that's how good that shyt is. Anthony Starr(Homelander from The Boyz) and his girl steal diamonds worth 15M. They get caught but Starr sacrifices himself so she can get away with the diamonds. 15 years pass and he gets out, finds her hiding in a small ass town. Him and the new sheriff, Hood(first day in town, no one has ever seen his face) end up randomly eating in a bar owned by Sugar(Burrel from The Wire). Someone tries to rob the bar and Starr and the sheriff fight back, but the sheriff is killed. Starr and Sugar hide the body because they dont want to explain this as excons. Starr takes the sheriff's badge and impersonates him because he is trying to see what his ex did with the diamonds. Lot of fukkery happens, lot of action, but he does actually do the sheriff job.

shyt got good stories with the amish mafia, native americans and everything
This that scene above:

This another scene showing the fights. Star(as the sheriff) confronts an MMA fighter in town because he raped a girl. The big wigs/suits in the town dont want him arrested because they got a lot of money riding on the MMA fighter's match with the business and stuff it will bring in.

Hood meeting Chayton for the first time and Chayton talking that shyt to him :wow:

VegetasHairline

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
CACS

In regards to Sopranos, am I tripping or that last season was kinda meh breh. I binged it and it seems like Tony being in debt like that was rushed and came outta no where. They never showed Tony having a gambling problem like that either.
Yo @Lootpack you're the resident Sopranos expert on here. Break this down for him, if you don't mind.