Aesop Rock = Mutated Edomite Rap At It's Worst

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Whitey can rap

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C26IU-Es8qw&feature=player_detailpage#t=102s]OLAFUR ELIASSON (A MILLI REMIX) - YouTube[/ame]

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He's wack to you, but not me. See, that's the beauty of music..there's something different for everyone.

And he's listenable to you, but not to the vast majority of people I know who came up listening to hip hop. To outright call people who think aesop is wack "narrow minded as fukk" is a very different sentiment than "there's something different for everyone." If aesop is your twist, cool You aren't the first person I've encountered who likes his terrible music, and you won't be the last. But to act like only narrow constrictions of the mind or lack of sophistication is what renders his detractors incapable of appreciating his trash ass "rapping" is bogus as fukk.

Aesop Rock isn't for everyone..plain and simple. I can understand why you and others might not like him, he's dense as fukk, has a nasally voice, and has a weird flow. But it clicks with me..it makes sense to me. Just because YOU think it's wack doesn't necessarily mean its wack..just wack to you. Just because I like Aesop doesn't mean he's dope to everyone either..only to me and those who enjoy his music. It's all subjective bro...

So now you've gone from implying that people aren't sophisticated enough to get aesop's dopeness to invalidating all dislike of his music with "it's all subjective bro." No, it's not. We don't live lives in which it's all subjective, not when in comes to law, morals, music, art, literature, etc. We don't live in a world of relativism. We don't watch poorly scripted movies full of bad acting and plot holes and say "It wasn't my thing, but it's all subjective bro." We critique, and we do it within specific frameworks. And in the framework of hip hop, aesop sounds like a different genre altogether. It's like there's a triangle competition and all the participants were asked to draw a triangle, and aesop drew a peach with legs and armpit hair. And then you're arguing that the peach is actually an ill ass triangle that the judges were too limited to grasp. Enjoy that musty looking peach all you want, b - but don't be surprised or condescending when the triangle fans are like "this shyt is garbage."

I listen to a broad array of music, even within rap and certainly outside of it. aesop rock is stank breath on wax.

Jigsaw2347

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
South Bend, Indiana
And he's listenable to you, but not to the vast majority of people I know who came up listening to hip hop. To outright call people who think aesop is wack "narrow minded as fukk" is a very different sentiment than "there's something different for everyone." If aesop is your twist, cool You aren't the first person I've encountered who likes his terrible music, and you won't be the last. But to act like only narrow constrictions of the mind or lack of sophistication is what renders his detractors incapable of appreciating his trash ass "rapping" is bogus as fukk.

Perhaps I jumped the gun a tad by calling EVERYONE who doesn't listen to him or who dislikes him narrow minded, but many people who listen to rap are very close minded in their beliefs as to what rap music should be..I just find myself more open to the avant garde and more appreciative of the bizarre than the average rap listener. Maybe I just live around a bunch of close minded and stupid fukks, maybe not.

So now you've gone from implying that people aren't sophisticated enough to get aesop's dopeness to invalidating all dislike of his music with "it's all subjective bro." No, it's not. We don't live lives in which it's all subjective, not when in comes to law, morals, music, art, literature, etc. We don't live in a world of relativism. We don't watch poorly scripted movies full of bad acting and plot holes and say "It wasn't my thing, but it's all subjective bro." We critique, and we do it within specific frameworks. And in the framework of hip hop, aesop sounds like a different genre altogether. It's like there's a triangle competition and all the participants as asked to draw a triangle, and aesop drew a peach with legs and armpit hair. And then you're arguing that the peach is actually an ill ass triangle that the judges were too limited to grasp. Enjoy that musty looking peach all you want, b - but don't be surprised or condescending when the triangle fans are like "this shyt is garbage."

I listen to a broad array of music, even within rap and certainly outside of it. aesop rock is stank breath on wax.

Actually, everything IS subjective. Whether it's music, political agendas, That's why some people think Lady Gaga's a pop genius and other people think she's terrible. That's why some religions praise human sacrifice and why others regard such rituals with disgust. Funny that you mention frameworks in which people judge hip hop..because he's received plenty of positive acclaim throughout his body of work, by multiple review sites and critics..

I enjoy Aesop Rock's music, and you can call it terrible however many times or in whatever manner you want, but that doesn't change MY opinion of him. Nor do I expect YOUR opinion to change because of mine..Once again it's all subjective. You think he's hot shyt, I think he's dope.

:deadhorse:

the rhyme king

truth.com
Daps
Reppin
i refuse to conform

So now you've gone from implying that people aren't sophisticated enough to get aesop's dopeness to invalidating all dislike of his music with "it's all subjective bro." No, it's not. We don't live lives in which it's all subjective, not when in comes to law, morals, music, art, literature, etc. We don't live in a world of relativism. We don't watch poorly scripted movies full of bad acting and plot holes and say "It wasn't my thing, but it's all subjective bro." We critique, and we do it within specific frameworks. And in the framework of hip hop, aesop sounds like a different genre altogether. It's like there's a triangle competition and all the participants were asked to draw a triangle, and aesop drew a peach with legs and armpit hair. And then you're arguing that the peach is actually an ill ass triangle that the judges were too limited to grasp. Enjoy that musty looking peach all you want, b - but don't be surprised or condescending when the triangle fans are like "this shyt is garbage."

this don't make any sense for the most part.

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:laff:

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Perhaps I jumped the gun a tad by calling EVERYONE who doesn't listen to him or who dislikes him narrow minded, but many people who listen to rap are very close minded in their beliefs as to what rap music should be..I just find myself more open to the avant garde and more appreciative of the bizarre than the average rap listener. Maybe I just live around a bunch of close minded and stupid fukks, maybe not.

I can dig that, and if you scale it back to not paint everyone who dislikes his shyt with a broad brush, then cool. I find most people to be close-minded, rap, rock, classical and otherwise. A lot of people have their tastes determined for them and don't ever figure it out and step outside of themselves to expand those tastes and make truly unique personal choices. That spans genres and groups and regions, no doubt.

Actually, everything IS subjective. Whether it's music, political agendas, That's why some people think Lady Gaga's a pop genius and other people think she's terrible. That's why some religions praise human sacrifice and why others regard such rituals with disgust.

No, everything is not except in the most abstract way which is really irrelevant to how things work in our society. A green piece of paper printed by the government is less valuable to me than countless things, but if I go to the supermarket with my Duke Ellington cufflinks or my picture of me chilling with Rakim and try to get groceries the cashier will not entertain my argument about how subjective value is. High School and College have similar curriculum across the board - part of that is an attempt at cultural unification, another part of that is a general consensus of what materials are worthwhile. Just because someone comes to believe the book "Everyone Poops" should be in the canon doesn't mean he is just as right as the person who champions The Great Gatsby or Another Country. There are elements that most sensible people can agree - within the realm of societal values - exist in a great book or movie. I can't just type jfgbutbutbntbnt and say "my opinion is that I've typed something on par with James Baldwin's finest work." That's an extreme example, but my point is we evolve in terms of cultural understanding that there are principles that are no longer abstract and up for debate. There's a lot of subjectivity within widely accepted framework, but there's usually at least a basic framework we've accepted.

Funny that you mention frameworks in which people judge hip hop..because he's received plenty of positive acclaim throughout his body of work, by multiple review sites and critics..

This is an entirely different can of worms. I'm talking about listener response, and more specifically culturally educated hip hop listeners who have been with the form since early on, watching it evolve. Not the critics who approach this music shyt with the arrogance of ultimate authority yet only cursory understanding of context. I remember reading a critic do a retrospective review on Nice & Smooth's Jewel of the Nile. He couldn't understand why it wasn't regarded as a much better album than the first two they put out. Just about anyone with a pulse who was listening to Nice & Smooth over the years would've given that critic the gas face. Music has to be taken in context, just as historic events have to. It exists in a weird relationship with culture, movements, people, time, etc. When you're disconnected from all of those elements, you're not much of a critic, you're just someone looking to affirm a preconceived notion of your own in some cases, and clumsily fishing around in the dark hoping to hit a light switch in others.

I'll grant that my view of criticism an be debated endlessly. But I stand firmly on that. Critics have been telling me utterly stupid things about music my entire life - especially when it comes to rap. There's too often a huge disconnect between the critics and the people and places the music comes from. That's never a good formula.

I enjoy Aesop Rock's music, and you can call it terrible however many times or in whatever manner you want, but that doesn't change MY opinion of him.

I wouldn't have even said anything to you if not for the qualifiers you spelled out. You can like whatever you like, but I won't invalidate your sophistication for it, or your open-mindedness. That's all. We cool.

:manny:

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
Aesop Rock looks like Jimmy Falon if he started doing heroin and stopped shaving.

but yeah I never got into Aesop Rock's stuff but at the same time I also don't feel 95% of the so called "accepted/dope" rappers you guys like these days.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russ: @ Walt

:smh: @ anyone who assumes they're more intelligent because they
like Aesop Rock, and this is coming from someone who rocks with Aesop Rock.