Aesop Rock = Mutated Edomite Rap At It's Worst

yaga

Like A Dungeon Dragon
Daps
Reppin
The Bruised Ego of Dumb B*tches
See, this guy is an artist in the most literal sense of the word. Appreciation of an art remains in the eye of the beholder. That's likely why, besides the fact that he's white, that many of you will never check for, fukk with, or respect him. Many just fail to see hip hop as an art form - a worldwide art form.

I agree the dude is an artist. I have a physical copy of Labor Days & Day Light / Night Light from when i bought that shyt over ten years ago. Loved it but...

...his whole style became irritating as the years passed on. He never goes outside his regular formula in my opinion. lol, it's like it's an instant 'Shut this f*cking bullsh*t off' to me now.

And i'm saying this because there's a lot of folks that feel the same way.

...and i can't listen to El-P's shyt anymore either!

Jigsaw2347

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
South Bend, Indiana
I'm always surprised when younger cats like certain albums that seem very era-specific. Then again, my uncles probably think it's odd that I'm so deep into old soul when I came up years after they were rocking with it. I like my share of artists and groups that others give the gas face too as well, especially outside of hip hop. So I respect you riding for aesop, even though he's one of the wackest dudes to ever live. :umad:

Haha hell yeah. I've noticed I can appreciate much more 'older' music than a lot of other people my age..but mann wackest ever? Idk about all that..you can't tell me you'd rather listen to soulja boy, waka flocka, or d4l over aesop can you!? haha he's def one of the "weirdest" though..

Tougher Colder Killer is a badass song btw, to whoever posted that. And am I the only guy here who likes that Never Knew You song? hahaha

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Count Bass D is dope. this flip of the Hill Street Blues sample is ill

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
alot of biased garbage fans in this thread

and in hiphop in general

lot of cats need to stick to just making beats out of other peoples solid songs and just play the background

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I see what Aesop represents. Some people enjoy the medium of RAP but don't really delve into the hip-hop world. I find this pretty damn ridiculous, but people are shallow and will generally gravitate to what is immediately familiar to them. Personally, when I like something I dig as far to the bottom as possible and try to find out what it resembles and what its influences are etc etc

If you look at Aesop Rock, you can see why people will find his image relatable. Of course, Im talking about mostly white people, but a CERTAIN type of style that is rocked by CERTAIN white folks.

We can generalize and throw around words like "indie", "alternative", "hipster", "atheist", "art-snob", "poet" and get a general idea of what type of style that is, but basically Aesop is culturally relatable to certain people. His slang and demeanor is appealing to those types of people, just like Gunplay and other niche acts are to their respective bases.
ie. "He looks and sounds like what we find appealing, so we listen"

Im generalizing here, but Im 100% sure Aesop Rock fans cant stand anything considered "materialistic" or "mainstream" or anything involving "swag"

I personally dont dig him at all really, but to say hes an abomination is pretty ridiculous. Dude is serious about his craft and has been repping hip-hop and collaborating with some reputable MCs for like 15 years on an underground level