Aesop Rock = Mutated Edomite Rap At It's Worst

Pink Slime

known to go ham
Daps
Reppin
Nerf Cacalac
:rudy:

that movement fizzed out lol.

the early 00 rappers of def jux type vibe and anticon basically never made a mark. the dudes on rawkus and other such progressive underground acts like cunninglynguists did. they did not place self importance above their audience. U can see the evolution from the good side of the underground to a lot of the independent artists today. that other lane, the def jux anticon trash died for a reason.

Remember that fakkit Cage saying he was done with rap and beyond it? straight disrespect to the culture. If your music is so amazing why u got 5 fans?

:umad:

:usure:

el-p (defjux) just produced a fulll Lp for killer mike and it's better than any album thats come out in the past decade. the fukk you talkinbout didn't make a mark? he also produced 2 of the best selling (...arguably) classic "underground" albums with funcrusher plus and t he cold vein definitely made a mark

and what the fukk is the "anticon/defjux" vibe? their artists sound nothing alike

just admit you don't like white people getting attention in hiphop you black supremacist

"the dudes on rawkus"? cunninfukkinlynguists? :rudy::ld:

don't even try telling me kweli is such a better mc than these white guys...just stop it you dirty racist

Pink Slime

known to go ham
Daps
Reppin
Nerf Cacalac
Both the Killer Mike and c4c album came out the box strong but fizzled so damn quick. I haven't played either in months.

whats taking up your listening time between when these 2 albums dropped and life is good? you must listen to a lot of different genres besides hiphop

i was kinda meh on the c4c actually but cmon you could put that killer mike on anytime and play it straight through. stop takin good hiphop for granted cot damnit

Jigsaw2347

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
South Bend, Indiana
I can dig that, and if you scale it back to not paint everyone who dislikes his shyt with a broad brush, then cool. I find most people to be close-minded, rap, rock, classical and otherwise. A lot of people have their tastes determined for them and don't ever figure it out and step outside of themselves to expand those tastes and make truly unique personal choices. That spans genres and groups and regions, no doubt.

*Dapped*

No, everything is not except in the most abstract way which is really irrelevant to how things work in our society. A green piece of paper printed by the government is less valuable to me than countless things, but if I go to the supermarket with my Duke Ellington cufflinks or my picture of me chilling with Rakim and try to get groceries the cashier will not entertain my argument about how subjective value is. High School and College have similar curriculum across the board - part of that is an attempt at cultural unification, another part of that is a general consensus of what materials are worthwhile. Just because someone comes to believe the book "Everyone Poops" should be in the canon doesn't mean he is just as right as the person who champions The Great Gatsby or Another Country. There are elements that most sensible people can agree - within the realm of societal values - exist in a great book or movie. I can't just type jfgbutbutbntbnt and say "my opinion is that I've typed something on par with James Baldwin's finest work." That's an extreme example, but my point is we evolve in terms of cultural understanding that there are principles that are no longer abstract and up for debate. There's a lot of subjectivity within widely accepted framework, but there's usually at least a basic framework we've accepted.

True, there is basic frameworks that are widely accepted across the board..but I still disagree. I don't believe in whites and blacks..the world and everything in it is just one big gray area to me. There's always outliers and exceptions to the commonly accepted ideals and norms..

Personally I think it's difficult to say something is THIS or something is THAT, or that's GOOD or that's BAD, because perception varies. True, perceptions may be generally similar regarding certain topics..but that doesn't eliminate the exceptions. You seem intelligent enough to understand my point though, and I definitely understand yours, so let's just agree to disagree on this part.

I'll grant that my view of criticism an be debated endlessly. But I stand firmly on that. Critics have been telling me utterly stupid things about music my entire life - especially when it comes to rap. There's too often a huge disconnect between the critics and the people and places the music comes from. That's never a good formula.

I wouldn't have even said anything to you if not for the qualifiers you spelled out. You can like whatever you like, but I won't invalidate your sophistication for it, or your open-mindedness. That's all. We cool.

:manny:

I understand where you're coming from about critical review too..that's a very good point, mentioning that music is entirely relevant to the time, culture, and what not in which it's created in. Probably why I have trouble listening to rap from the 80's, yet older hip hop heads refer to that as the golden era. I was just trying to elucidate that Aesop Rock isn't regarded 100% negatively. lol I understand wholeheartedly why most rap fans wouldn't like him though..he's a fukking oddball, with a really abrasive style. I'm a fan of abstract poetry and music though..so i guess it's just sorta different for me. But yeahh, we cool doe bruh bruh.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
They became a chore to play. And I even made a thread praising them both on this site when they dropped. Both good but not what I wanna jam constantly.

I prefer low fi affairs.

Oddisee
Large Pro
Count Bass D

Have all gotten more spins lately.

Pink Slime

known to go ham
Daps
Reppin
Nerf Cacalac
:ooh:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kmI2UdHdlQ]El-P "Tougher Colder Killer" [ft. Killer Mike and Despot] - YouTube[/ame]

Pink Slime

known to go ham
Daps
Reppin
Nerf Cacalac
They became a chore to play. And I even made a thread praising them both on this site when they dropped. Both good but not what I wanna jam constantly.

I prefer low fi affairs.

Oddisee
Large Pro
Count Bass D

fair enough

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Personally I think it's difficult to say something is THIS or something is THAT, or that's GOOD or that's BAD, because perception varies. True, perceptions may be generally similar regarding certain topics..but that doesn't eliminate the exceptions. You seem intelligent enough to understand my point though, and I definitely understand yours, so let's just agree to disagree on this part.

I bet we mostly agree on the subject of relativism and subjectivity and we've somehow managed to talk around the area where we'd find common ground.

I understand where you're coming from about critical review too..that's a very good point, mentioning that music is entirely relevant to the time, culture, and what not in which it's created in. Probably why I have trouble listening to rap from the 80's, yet older hip hop heads refer to that as the golden era. I was just trying to elucidate that Aesop Rock isn't regarded 100% negatively. lol I understand wholeheartedly why most rap fans wouldn't like him though..he's a fukking oddball, with a really abrasive style. I'm a fan of abstract poetry and music though..so i guess it's just sorta different for me. But yeahh, we cool doe bruh bruh.

I'm always surprised when younger cats like certain albums that seem very era-specific. Then again, my uncles probably think it's odd that I'm so deep into old soul when I came up years after they were rocking with it. I like my share of artists and groups that others give the gas face too as well, especially outside of hip hop. So I respect you riding for aesop, even though he's one of the wackest dudes to ever live. :umad:

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I prefer low fi affairs.

Oddisee
Large Pro
Count Bass D

I need more of his music. Never got into his shyt and have heard nothing but good things.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
He's not much of an MC but a true music man and as earnest a hip hop artist you'll ever find.

His beats are right in step with my wheelhouse.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Hmmm. Well hs older stuff were actually on indie labels so thre was a bit more of a polished feel to them then the do it for self shyt he's been on the last few years.

Dwight Spitz is the one that got him some initial love. That's over ten years old now.

Act Your Waist Size is from 2006

L7 is from just a few years back

He's dropped over ten projects, instrumental and collabs with DJ Pocket and one with Insight since then.