AA vs Jamaicans vs African vs Haitian vs Afro Latin Mega Thread

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Reggae was directly and STRONGLY influenced by modern African American music.
African Americans were the only part of the diaspora not allowed to drum...outside of a small window of time in New Orleans Congo Square.
We can talk about griots and Sahelian strings all you want...those gaps in time are centuries old in comparison to the short time reggae has been around.
Old world African rhythm...to New World.
Blues, Jazz, Ragtime, Rock, Country, R&B, etc...predated and were the progenitors of Rocksteady, Ska, and Reggae.
Jamaicans had mento...and that's what gives it a slight "twist".
Still technically a DIRECT derivative.
Country seems to have had a large influence on Jamaica. That's something many don't know. Especially the storytelling aspect of country.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
You will got to exuberant lengths to downplay Jamaican brehs I can't even take you seriously on this topic this is hilarious.. First you said Man dem slang had AA cross influence now this..

Isn't this what we were talking about? Your pride touching supremacy levels.. you can't give no other diaspora brehs props for their shyt. :dead:
People lied and tried to claim hip.hop for 20 years, and now the truth is out and in total reverse.
It's sensational.
These are facts, btw. I'm not insulting them...they were given styles to run with.

EndGame

Superstar
Daps
Hardly bar none and easily
debatable because in terms of cultural influence Jamaicans influenced Africa, UK and other Islands a lot more and longer than y'all have.
You will got to exuberant lengths to downplay Jamaican brehs I can't even take you seriously on this topic this is hilarious.. First you said Man dem slang had AA cross influence now this..

Isn't this what we were talking about? Your pride touching supremacy levels.. you can't give no other diaspora brehs props for their shyt. :dead:
You the one downplaying in here. The GOAT African music legend Fela Kuti founded Afrobeat by fusing Jazz, Blues and Funk with tradition Nigerian music. James Brown was his primary musical influence. You nikkas just stay pulling shyt from your ass to discredit.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I lived in Miami and West Palm right before I moved up here.
My stepbro also works in the bolet down there.
West Palm...

:wow:

I have a thread about AA Florida and the history of AA neighborhoods in Florida. Tamarind Ave used to be hopping in its heyday. Sunset Lounge, Historic Northwest, Sapodilla, Northwood Hills, Old Northwood, Pleasant City...

:wow:

You should check out my thread.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
You the one downplaying in here. The GOAT African music legend Fela Kuti founded Afrobeat by fusing Jazz, Blues and Funk with tradition Nigerian music. James Brown was his primary musical influence. You nikkas just stay pulling shyt from your ass to discredit.
African music also influenced AA music. Why do you think that things only work one way? Talking bout pulling things out ya ass while you tell half the story:skip: Most styles have an influence a precursor. Majority of African artists even in that era were not doing Jazz blues or funk fusions. They had traditional sounds which carried on for generations past Fela into what is today fused with Caribbean music.

T'krm

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
BA DOS Af pr
:mjlol:

I don't care have it. You weren't even acknowledging South Africans till I brought em up. You want to win so bad you snatching the title for the most suffering then I point out others been going thru it just as long in similar circumstance and you juelz. Apartheid ended in the 90's. Cacs got to South Africa around 400 years ago as well... :dead:
I acknowledge SA & frequently speak on it. anger & frustration about still existing condition, & hope, and pride with leaders like Malema, and policies like land allocation. Same w/ any progressive, sweeping action by African ppl. So the point? And why even bring it up, 'cept to provide possible buffer to our 'victimization' you believe we have? Especially when no one even brought it up..
Even then comparing the SA, or any experience to the BA is silly. There is simply no comparison, and never will be one!! Sure that bothers a lot of you...

Last edited: