A win for flabby set: Old music represent 70% of U.S music market

brickfare

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
north north
That's because old head listening habits are actually accounted for in the streaming era. Back in the day all those repeat spins of old cassettes and CDs from old heads didn't count as plays and now they do.
This

My 73 year old dad is on Spotify and rarely listens to anything recent

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
This thread did not go the way I expected it to. I remember a point on The Coli that “young” nikkas would neg and everything else if you said the new music was trash. I guess it’s simply undeniable at this point

I think this site has a lot of older heads on it than we realize. So that probably skews the responses. However, it's strange. Music tastes are subjective, but this article is confirming something that I've suspected for the last 7-8 years. That the skill in music might be getting objectively worse and as a result it's not as good.

I knew we were headed this way back in the mid-2000's you had people bragging about making music in 15 minutes. Everything in life is a double-edged sword. The fact that music has been democraticized is great, you could argue the gatekeepers don't have as much power anymore. But the accessibility in music has lowered the quality.

I think this is evidenced by gen z doesn't even listen to this music. They vibe to it. It's a soundtrack...not anything to be absorbed.

I almost feel it's going to mirror the movie and videogame industry now. Every generation they're going to just reboot the same ideas and sounds rather than try anything new.

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I think this site has a lot of older heads on it than we realize. So that probably skews the responses. However, it's strange. Music tastes are subjective, but this article is confirming something that I've suspected for the last 7-8 years. That the skill in music might be getting objectively worse and as a result it's not as good.

I knew we were headed this way back in the mid-2000's you had people bragging about making music in 15 minutes. Everything in life is a double-edged sword. The fact that music has been democraticized is great, you could argue the gatekeepers don't have as much power anymore. But the accessibility in music has lowered the quality.

I think this is evidenced by gen z doesn't even listen to this music. They vibe to it. It's a soundtrack...not anything to be absorbed.

I almost feel it's going to mirror the movie and videogame industry now. Every generation they're going to just reboot the same ideas and sounds rather than try anything new.

"Might be objecticely worse?" :skip:

Music heads we're saying that since the Summer of 2005! When we let autotune replace the traditional black singers of RnB, and let one-hit wonders with ringtone southern rappers reign supreme on radio over traditional east coast rap, nothing ever gotten better in quality IMO.

The last time post 2005 we tried to climb out of that music rut, was in early 2010 to late 2012 when J Cole, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar blew up. But that Blog Era got silenced AGAIN with Future, Gucci Mane, and Young Thug.

We are stuck with the children of Gucci Mane, that ruined music on the mainstream level @Software

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia

skill isn't as necessary a point to look for by a label when they have a formula for proven success. Look at it how a label would...why spend the resources catering to and developing an actually talented musician who could outgrow the label and have demands you'd have to actually meet, when you can find a face that the algorithm says will appeal to enough of the masses, and have them "sing" what will stream well.

It's the Elvis formula...find the right face and attach the character & watered down inoffensive music to it and watch the money pile up.

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
i'm glad spiritual jazz was able to have a resurgence in the last few years via youtube. It's one of my favorite genres of music and i loved the consciousness that was a part of that era esp 1968-1975.

hip-hop is trash now for the most part, r&b is ehh with some bright spots here and there, rock is trash in the US now. UK having a little post-punk renaissance with bands like Squid. Ambient, house & techno have had a very strong last 10 years.

Once you took music out of schools the decline in quality was bound to happen.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
This

My 73 year old dad is on Spotify and rarely listens to anything recent

Second this.

My 66 year old mom bounces between iTunes and YouTube and she probably spends about 3 hours a day listening to same long ass playlist covering everything from Sam and Dave to Rick James to Mary J Blige.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
i'm glad spiritual jazz was able to have a resurgence in the last few years via youtube. It's one of my favorite genres of music and i loved the consciousness that was a part of that era esp 1968-1975.

hip-hop is trash now for the most part, r&b is ehh with some bright spots here and there, rock is trash in the US now. UK having a little post-punk renaissance with bands like Squid. Ambient, house & techno have had a very strong last 10 years.

Once you took music out of schools the decline in quality was bound to happen.

Take away music programs that teaches kids how to play instruments professionally, people not taking kids to their black church's choir, and not following their GRANDPARENTS experiences of music

And You get this. A bunch of,ADD addicted kids, amped up about snares and hi-hats trap beats and getting "lit" to these trap songs that sound like a techno beat with heavier bass and drums.