A win for flabby set: Old music represent 70% of U.S music market

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
There is good new music out there, bur you have to search or kinda stumble upon it. I listen to a lot of Jon Batiste, Gary Clark Jr., and Masego.

New rap just gets old too fast. I like Moneybagg, and Dolph, and PeeWee and all them but they shyt just gets played out too fast. None of their albums have the replay value of any of Scarface old shyt or Outkast.

Genos

Superstar
Daps
Old nikkas also probably account for 90% of cable sales too. Who the fukk buys music?

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Even these producers are extra lazy nowadays.
Dj Mustard made hits outta the same 6 beats :laugh:
I'm gonna be honest. The last time I felt like there was an album that was an epic event was Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
What's crazy, the year of the Lox Verzuz, that was the BIGGEST Rap moment of the year.

These young nikkas never making moments, just posting like fashion bytches on IG.

What was the last great battle versus two 20 year olds? We just hope these lil nikkas don't kill each other.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
So old heads tell me

When did music become trash :mjgrin:

What decade :mjgrin:

It didn't. It just became a LOT more difficult to get quality beats from the media outlets that existed back in the 70's-90's as companies were catering to profits. If not for the Internet, I'd be complaining everyday about the lack of 'quality' music....

:dj2:

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
Found this interesting

"In fact, nothing is less interesting to music executives than a completely radical new kind of music. Who can blame them for feeling this way? The radio stations will play only songs that fit the dominant formulas, which haven’t changed much in decades. The algorithms curating so much of our new music are even worse. Music algorithms are designed to be feedback loops, ensuring that the promoted new songs are virtually identical to your favorite old songs. Anything that genuinely breaks the mold is excluded from consideration almost as a rule. That’s actually how the current system has been designed to work.

Even the music genres famous for shaking up the world—rock or jazz or hip-hop—face this same deadening industry mindset. I love jazz, but many of the radio stations focused on that genre play songs that sound almost the same as what they featured 10 or 20 years ago. In many instances, they actually are the same songs'.

The problem isn’t a lack of good new music. It’s an institutional failure to discover and nurture it."

Sounds like it's not just about new music being bad. It has to sound like some old shyt to have a shot. Not good. That's why Anderson Paak and the Karaoke singer put out that bullshyt

You gotta be a hater or delusional to think none of these newer generations are serious about making quality music while caring about the craft. What's being put out there is the problem

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
It’s crazy cause this afternoon at work I was streaming Lonnie Liston Smith. Then later, I started checking out that Gunna album cuz I had no idea what all that “Pushin P” jokes was about this weekend (still don’t get it)

Anyways, I found myself skipping a couple tracks and once he had some line about “I bust on her face, now she a cow”— I was like aight that’s enough lmao. Most (not all artists) don’t respect the craft these days. I’m not saying that cause of the line, but the way they churn out music, it’s just a product to keep their buzz buzzin. What’s McDonalds to a home cooked meal.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Not surprised
All the COVID DJs like D-Nice, 9th Wonder, Clark Kent and a bunch of dudes on Twitch gained popularity because all they played was old music.
Those Questlove sets when he would do the history of Chaka Khan or Jam & Lewis were amazing.
And not just hits, B-sides from legends that are amazing that folks were hearing for the first time.
I know I went back and downloaded many of those 70s R&B albums because Clark Kent played a song during one of his sets on Apple Music.
I used to rely on greatest hits albums for the most part for old acts but I went back and downloaded the og albums those hits were on

Last edited: