A win for flabby set: Old music represent 70% of U.S music market

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
That's because old head listening habits are actually accounted for in the streaming era. Back in the day all those repeat spins of old cassettes and CDs from old heads didn't count as plays and now they do.
This is it entirely.
I used to have a collection of cd's myself. Now i just listen to playlists online.
Everybody else trying to blame the new music, but thats nothing new, everyone thinks the new generations music is bad. Our parents hated our shyt too.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Most of this new shyt that passes for “music” nowadays is either trash or straight up rip offs of older music anyway so you’re better off just listening to the classics.

@Alexander Wiggin tried to tell me I was missing out on so many great artists and music but nah. Most of these “artists” today just fukking suck lol

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Lyrical skill regressed to caveman pre-historic nonsense. Even the early 80s before Rakim and KRS, people were rapping more advanced than these autotune dudes.

Its like back in 1988, the NWA vs Public Enemy was a fight between 2 paradigms. One was the true evolution of Hip Hop and black music, and the other one was about engaging in media ignorance and making their audience complacent on never to change.

in 2022, even the young kids had enough. No one wants to buy and invest in these kids rapping about c00n shyt, in a non-existent quality. Lauryn Hill old music would dust these young dudes without trying.

Jessie D from the Force MDs just passed away at an age far too young (the only living original member is Stevie D).

Before they were the Force MDs, they were the Force MCs coming out of Staten Island. They could skillfully both sing and emcee and could merge the two effortlessly.

They changed from "MCs" to "MDs": MD stood for "Musical Diversity" which is what the culture USED to value.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I’m late as fukk to this thread but are we really surprised? Man I work with mad young people and they stay singing old songs. I’m not saying they don’t know the more current stuff, but they definitely be singing old stuff. I work with a 26 year old that was excited to go see Billy Joel when he was on tour. She knows all his music. This is one of the most non surprising stories ever

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Copped Al Green, Teddy Pendergrass and Marvin Gaye's greatest hits albums last week :flabbynsick: shyt is pure :ohlawd:

I'm trying to find an unsealed original All Eyez On Me and Illmatic album :ahh:
I’m a vinyl head and you will likely find me in a vinyl store in Charlotte.. these kids are snatching up all the old shyt, meanwhile Lii Uzi and them be polluting the used album bins. You can find something dope for a dollar as opposed to buying mediocre or wack shyt for 20 or better

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
I totally relate to this article. I tried to give that new Gunna album a chance, had me sitting there like :unimpressed:

This is Fivo Foreign Spotify playlist, same thing :unimpressed:

But this 20 year old Jay Z song though :banderas: that intro :banderas:

That was the birth of the soulless bullshyt we got today

Thank God for Gen Z.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Cause most older music relates and points to pivotal times in history. The music now doesn’t connect so much.

A lot of R&B artist are doing their thing tho. (Lucky Daye, Alex Isley, Vanjess, Nao, Gallant, Snoh Shantel Mays, etc)
They should be on the radio. I mean I hear Lucky Daye and Snoh but not the others on your list. I know people clown radio but people are still listening to it. Radio will help these guys more than it will hurt, If Bieber and Adele can still play why not these artists?

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
"Might be objecticely worse?" :skip:

Music heads we're saying that since the Summer of 2005! When we let autotune replace the traditional black singers of RnB, and let one-hit wonders with ringtone southern rappers reign supreme on radio over traditional east coast rap, nothing ever gotten better in quality IMO.

The last time post 2005 we tried to climb out of that music rut, was in early 2010 to late 2012 when J Cole, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar blew up. But that Blog Era got silenced AGAIN with Future, Gucci Mane, and Young Thug.

We are stuck with the children of Gucci Mane, that ruined music on the mainstream level @Software

I use the phrase "might be" in the loosest sense. Some dorks might argue the technical proficiency to operate Fruity Loops is just as significant as playing an instrument.