A comprehensive guide to the origin/roots of HipHop's elements (all verified facts w/ OG interviews)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Yeah we get it breh, you hate Herc

:comeon:

The way you act like you’re establishing facts just by posting YouTube videos and highlighting shyt in crazy colors is hilarious

7HZN.gif

I'm just stating verifiable facts that can be checked by/from more than one source...not myths, from the OGs.....:pachaha:

ngv73SD.png

HmIhtJa.png

From herc's own mouth

WKisjGi.png

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
To clarify. Did NYC not set the foundation for urban fashion that we see today. It seems your alluding to there being something else

I would say todays general urban fashion streamed from numerous big cities but HIPHOP fashion was pioneered in NYC. For example, this from 1960s LA is very much like modern urban black hipsters

The Dapper Rebels of Los Angeles, 1966

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
So i think a major addition to this thread is- drumroll..................................................

When and how the Westcoast got into this :sas1:

but for now. Its not clear exactly why Herc was able to achieve the "FATHER of hip hop" moniker

Im guessing its because he was the tip of the spear as it pertained to the actual "youth movement" in the Bronx. He was the go to DJ while the others played for an older crowd

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
So i think a major addition to this thread is- drumroll..................................................

but for now. Its not clear exactly why Herc was able to achieve the "FATHER of hip hop" moniker

Im guessing its because he was the tip of the spear as it pertained to the actual "youth movement" in the Bronx. He was the go to DJ while the others played for an older crowd

I told you: LOCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ people purposely leaving out facts/history

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

The founders of West Coast HipHop is Uncle Jams Army

but the West Coast always had the proto-hiphop culture and influences:

Watts-Prophets predate Last Poets and Gil Scott Heron

and the macro-genre of LA Dances known as "Funk Styles" (popping, locking, tutting, waving, gliding, strutting, backslide, moonwalkin, robot, hitting etc..) predate bboying

...which influenced NYC hiphop dance way before the West Coast knew/saw NYC bboys

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
See these are good examples (the tweets) to me dude in the first tweet isn't rapping he just sounds like a normal fast talking radio host. Second tweet U Roy has nothing else to label slick/fast talking as so he is calling it rapping

the aspect of hip-hop am talking/interested in with this topic is the rhyming over a beat

peep this James Brown circa 1972

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Who/what came first, the Rapper or the Bboy?

You'll often hear that the start of hiphop culture began with the bboy and that rappers came later on but this is in fact a MYTH and only is accurate in the Herc circle. Rappers (syncopated to the beat) indeed, did only appear in Herc's cirlce like around 1977/1978 via Melle Mel/Caz but the truth is, rappers with full blown verses syncopated to the beat already were around in the 1970-1972 era, especially in Harlem.

x8EYbGW.png

as I pointed out before, Melle Mel and Caz have both confirmed this.

"DJ Hollywood and his crowd were the first rapping to the beat, not Herc's crowd" - Melle Mel

Herc admitted before he was a dj he used to go to places like Neil Gwyns to dance

zPFIegq.jpg

strange enough, this article from New York Magazine Jul 1, 1974 did a profile on NYC disco clubs

VXtX2XA.jpg

the part that stood out:

vRLlYhq.png

describes/mentions someone named "Eddie" who played funk(y) music and RAPPED over/to it........this was before anyone knew about "rapping" or "hiphop" from a mainstream POV. Yall know who this "Eddie" guy was? None other than

BjBXSp4.png

These Harlemites pioneered the syncopated rhyming style and invented HIPHOP/Rap MUSIC!

1DviNRb.png