A comprehensive guide to the origin/roots of HipHop's elements (all verified facts w/ OG interviews)

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Without prejudice

Rap started in Newyork but have roots that run deep. The Jamaican, rhythm n blues influence is clear to see.

Rap / reggae will always be the voice of the youths.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
In light of the r recent Fat Joe comments, again I’m confronted with so many people who actually believe that Hip Hop was started by Latinos in NYC and some who believe was started by Jamaicans.

As a hip hop site this should either be stickied in the booth if not the locker room, these are one of the few sites who are able to help with battling a well misplaced narrative, mods can sticky albums and all sorts of other shyt but none of that is as important as informative as this thread which actually breaks down the origin of the genre for why were all here posting in the first place, we can’t allow this type of thread to just die and not constantly be in the front page for even visitors who don’t post here to see, it’s important, even Wikipedia page doesn’t go into the detail this thread does.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Read through the thread first:beli:
It's true though.. Both a young boy game

Not much difference between these two, our cultures all run in tandem, children of the diaspora, it's deep.

You might be white tho so my bad.

The Gentleman

Always a Gentleman!
Daps
Reppin
Being a Gentleman

Not much difference between these two, our cultures all run in tandem, children of the diaspora, it's deep.

The rapping portion of hip hop comes from toasting. Toasting was a part hustling culture aka the Sportin’ life from the early 20th century to about that hip hop began to form in the 70s. Some overlap could be there but it’s minimal.

Kool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do ADOS over do it with the "everybody steals from us we invented everything in America "thing

He'll naw... we don't over do it. All them muthafukkas copy off of us... the Asians, Mexicans, them weird UK muthafukkas, Africans ect...

All them muthafukka hate us or look down at us but at the same time copy us and try to act, dress, dance, talk ect... like us.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

I misread your post so my bad

edit- or maybe I didn’t
Are you saying Jamaican R&b runs deep?

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
In light of the r recent Fat Joe comments, again I’m confronted with so many people who actually believe that Hip Hop was started by Latinos in NYC and some who believe was started by Jamaicans.

As a hip hop site this should either be stickied in the booth if not the locker room, these are one of the few sites who are able to help with battling a well misplaced narrative, mods can sticky albums and all sorts of other shyt but none of that is as important as informative as this thread which actually breaks down the origin of the genre for why were all here posting in the first place, we can’t allow this type of thread to just die and not constantly be in the front page for even visitors who don’t post here to see, it’s important, even Wikipedia page doesn’t go into the detail this thread does.
We pushed for this

they had it stickied for like a week then dropped it

to be honest a lot of nikkas are scared of this thread:mjgrin:

but yes it should have a permanent sticky

who are the mods that can make that happen

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
6. How did black american radio djs of the 1940s/1950s influence USA HipHop and Jamaican Dancehall (the genre and the place)

As I explained before, what would become Jamaican dancehall (as a musical movement evolved from Toasting) and Rap have the same origins: Black American Radio DJs from the 1940s and their slick talking that came from Jive-Talk that was also a basic part of everyday Southern-based, Afram musical culture via jazz and blues slang

m78OJtO.png

6a5VYS6.png

gqykFkt.png

early hiphop and early dancehall culture diverge in non-musical aesthetics because HipHop represented the lives of urban-ghetto teens of NYC who would/cold be part of gangs, graffiti crews and bboys

dancehall as a culture came out of a more young adult atmosphere which was reflected in the "slackness" element

Last edited: